Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go to Oz alone or stay in Eire???HELP!!

Options
  • 12-04-2012 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys! so this is the story so far- I cant find work in Ire iv tried everything! I was with my boyfriend of 2 years and he recently went to perth..we tried to stay together as I was ment to follow him out in september but we broke up </3 his plans changed and he said he wanted to be single out there just so that he could move around where the work is and commit himself 100% to his work where as with me there he would feel bad leaving me and basically wouldnt be able to be in a relationship over there but now im completely lost!!! im feeling so unwanted everywhere he was my best friend as well and we are still good friends in the hope that whenever he comes home we can try again but I have had to move back in with my parents and have no work and its hard enough without him but now having the option of going to perth to him taken away has completely messed up my plans....basically I am afraid to go to oz alone as I know nobody else out there and want some advice if there is anybody else thinking of going over around august time please get in touch or if u have been in a similar situation please tell me...is just staying put the best option.....im just so confused and need some help my head is so messed up with it all...
    any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks everyone xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tosh_2006

in my eyes if you have no job here but have the money to go i'd go i'm sort of in the same boat where i'm looking at going late sept early oct to perth if i still can't get a job and i have the money really what have you got to lose you'll meet new people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 24 supp

the grass is always greener....

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bobbles87

Awwwh I feel so bad for you.

But do you know what, now that your single, you have nobody else to consult or please or to think about but yourself.

I came over here about 6 weeks ago, initially I was meant to fly straight to Perth but my plans changed last minute so I did some travelling for the past few weeks on my own and im just in perth now.

I really think if you have the money and no job at home then what is stopping you? I am not going to lie, its pretty expensive out here, but if you have enough money to keep you going for the first 2 months til you find a place and a job you will be grand.

On my travels I met soooo many people. Hostels are great for that. You will be suprised by the amount of lone travellers you will meet and most people are very approachable and friendly.

I think travelling on your own defo gives you more opportunity to meet new people and have new experiences. Ive seen a lot of my friends fall into the irish trap when they come over here to someone they know. They usually end up hanging out with the same people as home, going to the same places as home. Nothing wrong with that either, but youre coming half way across the world..and its costing you so why not get to know the locals and go to the different bars. I know it is a sweeping generalisation, and I am not saying its wrong, hell Ill do it too when I am homesick from time to time. I just think this is the perfect opportunity for you to go and explore, no strings attached - it really is a great country and a great lifedtyle. You dont get the doom and gloom that is at home, which I think is what you need to get away from!

May be try somewhere like Sydney or Melbourne first....I found Sydney excellent and I met so many great people there. Also Perth is a big place, so it could be likely you wouldnt run into your ex bf, as the suburbs are as big to go out in as nearly the city itself. But, I would defo try the east coast first :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Hi Jess. I went to school with Terry, small world, eh! I've only met you a handful of times though. I'll not point him to this thread, don't worry.

Getting out of Ireland is probably a good idea (new start and all that) although Perth mightn't be the best option as all the locals from home hang around together so you're very likely to bump into Terry and the rest of the lads (if that's what you're looking to avoid).

I moved to Melbourne by myself the middle of last year and it's been the best decision I've ever made. For the time being anyway, the grass definitely is greener imo. I wanted to meet new people out here so the East Coast was the only option for me out of all the big cities seeing as everyone from home is in Perth. I knew a few people already in Melbourne (not really close mates or anything) so that was good when trying to get settled initially and meet new people but to be honest, a few nights in a hostel and you'll know half the place. You don't be long making new friends and getting settled into a new life out here. Do you know what you actually want to do in Australia i.e. travel around for a bit/come over purely to work etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

You'll meet tons of new people in hostels and on group activities, don't be put off by travelling alone its sometimes way better then being stuck with a partner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jessica conlan

tosh_2006 wrote: »
    in my eyes if you have no job here but have the money to go i'd go i'm sort of in the same boat where i'm looking at going late sept early oct to perth if i still can't get a job and i have the money really what have you got to lose you'll meet new people out there

Thanks!! What are u hoping to do out there??

Hi Jess. I went to school with Terry, small world, eh! I've only met you a handful of times though. I'll not point him to this thread, don't worry.

Getting out of Ireland is probably a good idea (new start and all that) although Perth mightn't be the best option as all the locals from home hang around together so you're very likely to bump into Terry and the rest of the lads (if that's what you're looking to avoid).

I moved to Melbourne by myself the middle of last year and it's been the best decision I've ever made. For the time being anyway, the grass definitely is greener imo. I wanted to meet new people out here so the East Coast was the only option for me out of all the big cities seeing as everyone from home is in Perth. I knew a few people already in Melbourne (not really close mates or anything) so that was good when trying to get settled initially and meet new people but to be honest, a few nights in a hostel and you'll know half the place. You don't be long making new friends and getting settled into a new life out here. Do you know what you actually want to do in Australia i.e. travel around for a bit/come over purely to work etc?

Ahhhh small world :) yeah I was hoping to work and save as much as possible then travel around a bit...plan was to go to Perth but now with everything It's not an option, yeah terry is with all the boys from carrick and drum so that's y his plans have changed which obviously sucks for me but I don't wanna just sit around waiting I wanna make something of myself it's just so scary taking that step alone....my parents aren't supportive of it at all but I think I'm just out of options....I am a qualified dog groomer and a horse riding instructor do u know if there are many grooming places in Melbourne (I no its not the thing that many people notice) also this is gonna sound so so gay but is it safe out there for a girl on her own???

Thanks for not tellin him bout this it's pretty embarrassing and thanks for all the advice

bobbles87 wrote: »
    Awwwh I feel so bad for you.

But do you know what, now that your single, you have nobody else to consult or please or to think about but yourself.

I came over here about 6 weeks ago, initially I was meant to fly straight to Perth but my plans changed last minute so I did some travelling for the past few weeks on my own and im just in perth now.

I really think if you have the money and no job at home then what is stopping you? I am not going to lie, its pretty expensive out here, but if you have enough money to keep you going for the first 2 months til you find a place and a job you will be grand.

On my travels I met soooo many people. Hostels are great for that. You will be suprised by the amount of lone travellers you will meet and most people are very approachable and friendly.

I think travelling on your own defo gives you more opportunity to meet new people and have new experiences. Ive seen a lot of my friends fall into the irish trap when they come over here to someone they know. They usually end up hanging out with the same people as home, going to the same places as home. Nothing wrong with that either, but youre coming half way across the world..and its costing you so why not get to know the locals and go to the different bars. I know it is a sweeping generalisation, and I am not saying its wrong, hell Ill do it too when I am homesick from time to time. I just think this is the perfect opportunity for you to go and explore, no strings attached - it really is a great country and a great lifedtyle. You dont get the doom and gloom that is at home, which I think is what you need to get away from!

May be try somewhere like Sydney or Melbourne first....I found Sydney excellent and I met so many great people there. Also Perth is a big place, so it could be likely you wouldnt run into your ex bf, as the suburbs are as big to go out in as nearly the city itself. But, I would defo try the east coast first :)

Best of luck!

Thank u so much all this really helped!! It's good to hear from a lone traveler!! Did u find it hard to find people to live with in Perth?? Work wise in Perth I there much for women?? I was defineatly thinking of Sydney seems to be a lot of my work there and from what I've heard there's not much need 4 a car!...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

.......I am a qualified dog groomer and a horse riding instructor do u know if there are many grooming places in Melbourne (I no its not the thing that many people notice) also this is gonna sound so so gay but is it safe out there for a girl on her.....

Actually there are tonnes of dog grooming places here. Owning rare and expensive breed dogs is very popular in Melbourne and people spend a fortune on them.
    Just Google "dog groomers Melbourne" and then start emailing them asking about potential roles, given its such a niche business you might actually get some offers. Oh and start with these guys http://www.countdogulas.com.au/ , every time I pass their shop I laugh to myself, great name!

Regarding safety; its certainly as safe or safer than any city in Ireland imo. Been all over various Oz cities at all hours and never had any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

You should definitely go out and give it a go. Better to avoid Perth as you would be seen to be following the ex around. Sydney could be a good area for you and with the wealth there people will be pampering their dogs so you could get lucky. Dont be afraid of going on your own. It will spread your wings and will give you great confidence if you can get work. Stay in a hostel for the first few weeks. You will meet plenty of similar people and will get contacts for work etc. As for being a horse riding instructor that could be handy to do rural work for your 2nd year visa. There would be stables looking for people to ride out horses. Give it a go you have nothing to lose. You seem to have no ties at home.

• Advertisement

You should consider teaching somewhere in Asia also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Not sure using your full name as your username is the smartest thing to do but anyway, my advice would be to give it a go, but go to Melbourne or Sydney. Perth is not a very big city and all the Irish hang around Northbridge. You'd easily run into your ex.

You should definitely go out and give it a go. Better to avoid Perth as you would be seen to be following the ex around. Sydney could be a good area for you and with the wealth there people will be pampering their dogs so you could get lucky. Dont be afraid of going on your own. It will spread your wings and will give you great confidence if you can get work. Stay in a hostel for the first few weeks. You will meet plenty of similar people and will get contacts for work etc. As for being a horse riding instructor that could be handy to do rural work for your 2nd year visa. There would be stables looking for people to ride out horses. Give it a go you have nothing to lose. You seem to have no ties at home.

Incorrect. That is not specified work for a 2nd year visa.

I didnt mean as an instructor but as a workhand in a trainer's yard. Since she can ride she would be able to ride out the horses for the trainer.

I didnt mean as an instructor but as a workhand in a trainer's yard. Since she can ride she would be able to ride out the horses for the trainer.

That still doesn't count. Horses are not classified as specified work.

Getting off topic here. Sorry.

04072511 wrote: »
    That still doesn't count. Horses are not classified as specified work.

Getting off topic here. Sorry.

If it's in a rural area I don't see why it wouldn't be included in 2nd year Visa work. I know people who worked as handymen on farms and got their 2nd year visa. The fact that she can ride out a horse would be valuable to many farmers/trainers.

If it's in a rural area I don't see why it wouldn't be included in 2nd year Visa work. I know people who worked as handymen on farms and got their 2nd year visa. The fact that she can ride out a horse would be valuable to many farmers/trainers.

The specified list is quite specific. Working for horse trainers does not count to the best of my knowledge. Of course if you got them to sign you off as "general farm work" then that's a different story entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

04072511 wrote: »
    The specified list is quite specific. Working for horse trainers does not count to the best of my knowledge. Of course if you got them to sign you off as "general farm work" then that's a different story entirely.

Specified work is any type of work in the list below:
    plant and animal cultivation:

– maintaining animals for the purpose of selling them or
    their bodily produce, including natural increase;

I think she'd be alright! I'm sure a farm owner would love to have someone who has experience with horses working on a farm and would sign off what ever you wanted

Similar thing is happening with us. A couple of vineyards have told me they would be willing to have us work on their on site restaurants for our 'regional' work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Of its the going on your own your worried about don't be. I knew 3 people in the country before I arrived. None were anywhere near Sydney.

I have been here 4 weeks or so and have made a handful of drinking buddies more do than friends. If your backpacking it should be easier to find like minded types for me it's still a little on the lonely side but getting better now I'm filling my time.

Generally Australia is great provided your working. I'm in Sydney and nothing bar petrol and sun is cheap.

Is there work? Yes there is lots of it two paper is full of jobs. It paying well and being present I cant really say I do weird stuff for a living. If you decide you want to stay finding a job for residency is tough.

I'd say go for it but that would always be my answer for most things. Always have regrets for what you did than what you let pass you bye. even if it doesn't work out its a story.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

hey Jessica i was in the same boat work wise in Ireland and was sitting around for nearly a year! i made the big step in November last i packed my bag and left all my friends and family and came alone to a country where i knew absolutely no one.

I am now working away on the gold coast and have made and absolute ton of friends from all over the world. being Irish and as friendly and easy going as we are it seems to be pretty easy to make them and our sense of humour is the same as the aussies :). if its not knowing anyone that has you worried the most i wouldnt be.

what sort of work are you looking to do and where abouts in Australia are you thinking of going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭mormank

Well all I'll say is that I was in oz from '08-'10. Spent the first six months travelling up the east coast with my mates, which was awesome(you need to do this), and ended up in Melbourne with just 3 of us. Shortly after we arrived the other two decided to bugger off to Asia before coming home to Ireland. They arrived in oz before me so their visas were up. Anyway, I was so anxious about being left on the other side of the world on my own but I can honestly say that my oz experience went up a few notches once they left. I found that being on my own meant I was forced to come out of myself and meet people and I ended up staying an extra year in Melbourne and made some of the best friends I have ever made. I am so thankful I didn't let my nerves get the best of me and decided to stay behind on my own. Easy decision in my eyes, go go go, I seriously doubt you'll regret it.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Anything you can do to leave that cesspit Ireland you should do.

You ll never look back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

The best year of my life was in Oz! Get the funk out of Ireland, and have a ball in Oz! If you don't like it, come home, but you only live once! May as well live somewhere other than 40 shades of grey on good old Ireland!

hey Jessica i was in the same boat work wise in Ireland and was sitting around for nearly a year! i made the big step in November last i packed my bag and left all my friends and family and came alone to a country where i knew absolutely no one.

I am now working away on the gold coast and have made and absolute ton of friends from all over the world. being Irish and as friendly and easy going as we are it seems to be pretty easy to make them and our sense of humour is the same as the aussies :). if its not knowing anyone that has you worried the most i wouldnt be.

what sort of work are you looking to do and where abouts in Australia are you thinking of going?

I am A qualified and experienced dog groomer and was thinking the east coast or maybe Sydney but I'm most nervous about going alone and finding people to live with as I would need to start working pretty quickly can you leave your stuff in a hostel do u know?? Thanks for ur advice

Of its the going on your own your worried about don't be. I knew 3 people in the country before I arrived. None were anywhere near Sydney.

I have been here 4 weeks or so and have made a handful of drinking buddies more do than friends. If your backpacking it should be easier to find like minded types for me it's still a little on the lonely side but getting better now I'm filling my time.

Generally Australia is great provided your working. I'm in Sydney and nothing bar petrol and sun is cheap.

Is there work? Yes there is lots of it two paper is full of jobs. It paying well and being present I cant really say I do weird stuff for a living. If you decide you want to stay finding a job for residency is tough.

I'd say go for it but that would always be my answer for most things. Always have regrets for what you did than what you let pass you bye. even if it doesn't work out its a story.

Best of luck

Have u found people to live with yet or are u still in a hostel?? Thanks 4 the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I am A qualified and experienced dog groomer and was thinking the east coast or maybe Sydney but I'm most nervous about going alone and finding people to live with as I would need to start working pretty quickly can you leave your stuff in a hostel do u know?? Thanks for ur advice

Yup, they usually all have storage where you can leave valuables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

i was a bit nervous about the whole hostel thing when i first came away and locked my bags and hide everything but after a while i stopped and my gear was never touch everyone does the same. id say 90% of the hostels i was in had some form of lockers in the room.

only bad things about hostels is fu*ckers partying and you have to be up early :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 skyboy87

go trust me, i was supposed to be going to oz with my girlfriend we had visas and money got but we broke up before xmas so i said id go alone. ive bin here a month and already my fone is full of numbers of people i met along the way and i even met a lad on d plane going it alone too and last weekend me him and an estonian guy ended goin on a 1796km road trip. basicly if you come out here by yourself and make an effort to meet people you'l be amazed how easy it is to make friends but definatly go the hostel route for the first while anyway 90% of hostel goers are open and friendly. i got a job fairly quick if you put effort in to it and are not afraid to keep ringing people id say you will get work handy enough i wanted to do my regional work first and save some money too. anyway thats my view on it so far like what have you got to lose worst case you have a couple of months holiday in the sun and go home!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

skyboy87 wrote: »
    go trust me, i was supposed to be going to oz with my girlfriend we had visas and money got but we broke up before xmas so i said id go alone. ive bin here a month and already my fone is full of numbers of people i met along the way and i even met a lad on d plane going it alone too and last weekend me him and an estonian guy ended goin on a 1796km road trip. basicly if you come out here by yourself and make an effort to meet people you'l be amazed how easy it is to make friends but definatly go the hostel route for the first while anyway 90% of hostel goers are open and friendly. i got a job fairly quick if you put effort in to it and are not afraid to keep ringing people id say you will get work handy enough i wanted to do my regional work first and save some money too. anyway thats my view on it so far like what have you got to lose worst case you have a couple of months holiday in the sun and go home!:D
    Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but im heading over in 5 and a half weeks and im planning to get my regional work out of the way as soon as i get over is there much regional work? is it handy enough to find?

• Advertisement

chrispym wrote: »
    skyboy87 wrote: »
    Dont mean to hi-jack the thread but im heading over in 5 and a half weeks and im planning to get my regional work out of the way as soon as i get over is there much regional work? is it handy enough to find?
    Not sure if this is much help but on gumtree.com.au under farming and veterinary jobs u can see loads of regional and farm work stating if it qualifies for 2nd year visa hope that's some help....best of luck over there :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement