Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

El Weirdo wrote: »
    So is back seat modding.

Anyway, what are you going to do? Take your ball home?

I'll turn off my computer and you will all fade into oblivion.

Mwhhahahahahhaa

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

My 3rd year religion teacher (a nun) was talking about Hinduism or something and when she was telling us about reincarnation she'd go, 'now, we know that this isn't true, but we have to respect their beliefs..'

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

really, #firstworldproblem and correcting typos is against the rules.

I hate Grammar Nazism, but I think there's a case to be made for pointing out a basic spelling mistake made by an English-language teacher in a thread about the most incorrect thing you've been taught.

Still, at least he didn't write "thought!" :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't argue with made up statistics so you can't.
    Did you know that 85% of pie charts resemble Pacman? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

When Pighead was a young man, his wierd nieghbour whispered in his ear:
    "I before e except after c. Remember that cast iron rule Pighead and you will go far. You'll never misspell those tricky 'ie' words again"

He added wieght to his claims by saying the rule was an exact sceince. Have a horrible feeling he led Pighead astray.

• Advertisement

When Pighhead was a young man a teacher told him to always refer to himself in the third person. That way, young man, he said "You will earn gravitas, and respect, and lots of thanks on internet forums when such a thing is invented".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Back in the eighties my teachers told me the Japs were going to take over the world, economy wise

They were wrong, it's the Chinese

Different flag different boss. Net end result is the same though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Solair wrote: »
    Also, a French teacher who used to get irritated with the French guy in our class when he pointed out that any particular phrase hadn't been used since 1937!
    If you followed his advice on idioms, you would sound like some french equivalent of a character out of a Dickens novel.

What the hell was the French guy doing in French class?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

What the hell was the French guy doing in French class?

Getting a handy A1?

When Pighhead was a young man a teacher told him to always refer to himself in the third person. That way, young man, he said "You will earn gravitas, and respect, and lots of thanks on internet forums when such a thing is invented".
    Pighead's delighted to hear he has earned your respect Duggy's housemate. Means a lot buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

If only we were all taught pretentious ways to be cool :(

If only we were all taught pretentious ways to be cool :(
    The good news jaffacakesyum is that it is never too late to learn. As Henry Doherty once said-
    "Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life."

Never too late to learn pretensiousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

In secondary school, we were never told that the last letter in a word is generally not pronounced in French. The teacher never spoke French in class either. Classes consisted of memorising phrases and translating long boring texts with a dictionary.

Curse that horrid teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

I hate Grammar Nazism [recte, Naziism], but I think there's a case to be made for pointing out a basic spelling mistake made by an English-language teacher in a thread about the most incorrect thing you've been taught.

Still, at least he didn't write "thought!" :)

Oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

jblack wrote: »
    Oh dear.

Oh dear, oh dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

I don't always correct people, but when I do I do it incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Had a fifth year Irish teacher (4 years ago) who told us real poverty didn't exist in Ireland.... :confused:

carolmarx wrote: »
    Had a fifth year Irish teacher (4 years ago) who told us real poverty didn't exist in Ireland.... :confused:

I'd say that one is true.

I'd say that one is true.

In 2010 the percentage of Irish people living in consistent poverty was 6.2 %

In 2010 the percentage of Irish people living in consistent poverty was 6.2 %

All richer than 70-80% of the world, its a problem with the definition of real.

• Advertisement

All richer than 70-80% of the world, its a problem with the definition of real.

The thing about poverty is that it's all relative. It's about whether or not YOU can survive in your own society.

The thing about poverty is that it's all relative. It's about whether or not YOU can survive in your own society.

Its not about survival. The poor survive. Its about having a non-normal lifestyle by the standards of the country you are in.

We are therefore arguing on the semantic definition of "real". Persistent poverty exists in Ireland, but nobody lives like the slums of India, or sub-Saharan Africa.

Its not about survival. The poor survive. Its about having a non-normal lifestyle by the standards of the country you are in.

We are therefore arguing on the semantic definition of "real". Persistent poverty exists in Ireland, but nobody lives like the slums of India, or sub-Saharan Africa.

Actually, a lot of the poor don't survive. But we digress. This teacher basically thought that no one in Ireland was hungry.

Actually, a lot of the poor don't survive.

You mean they die at 75?
    But we digress. This teacher basically thought that no one in Ireland was hungry.

Nobody in Ireland should be hungry given the social welfare payouts, its fairly easy to work out that a family on social welfare is not much worse off than some middle income groups who have to pay for housing, travel, electricity and tax before they can feed themselves.

You mean they die at 75?

Nobody in Ireland should be hungry given the social welfare payouts, its fairly easy to work out that a family on social welfare is not much worse off than some middle income groups who have to pay for housing, travel, electricity and tax before they can feed themselves.

May you always be as blissfully ignorant. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 nottherealdeal

That my computer wouldn't work after midnight 31/12/1999

Millenium bug or something!

May you always be as blissfully ignorant. :)

You are not arguing any kind of case here. I am, as it happens a centre leftist, search my posts for attacks on libertarians. However, lets not pretend that real poverty exists where it doesn't, or that we don't have a very generous welfare system - paying 2.5 times the UK level.

Real poverty doesn't exist in Ireland. Rejoice.

You are not arguing any kind of case here. I am, as it happens a centre leftist, search my posts for attacks on libertarians. However, lets not pretend that real poverty exists where it doesn't, or that we don't have a very generous welfare system - paying 2.5 times the UK level.

Real poverty doesn't exist in Ireland. Rejoice.

I'm not disputing that people in this country on SW are looked after. But the fact of the matter is that there are people in this country who aren't even in that position. A minority of people are homeless and can't feed themselves, a minority, but they are there. Anyway this isn't a thread on poverty in Ireland, I was merely saying I think my teacher was quite wrong in her assumption that there is no poverty here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

ones eyes will turn square from watching too much tv

Believe it or not, my Iris' muscles now have defined squares etched into them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

that there was a santa!

Advertisement