Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

If you pull out a hair, two grow in it's place... :confused: And also, if you cut your hair, it will grow faster :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Sex education. Was told its impossible to have sex while a girl is on her rag. Made me confused for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    If you pull out a hair, two grow in it's place... :confused: And also, if you cut your hair, it will grow faster :confused:

This fallacy is proved by the fact im going bald.

Also, the virgin birth. Now besides the argument against religion as a whole, when I was in primary school someone asked why mary was called the virgin mary and what virgin meant. We were told that virgin meant she had no job as she was disabled and therefore also couldn't have kids. As she looked pretty normal in all the pictures in the religion book, we were then told that the disability was 'inside her' and could not be seen.

some epic truth-mangling there with a little bit of sacrilege thrown in for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

realies wrote: »
    We were told if we didn't do well in our exams, We could end up sweeping the streets.In hindsight its not the worst paid or hard job one can do :-)
    We were told (or rather, it was strongly implied on a daily basis for six years lol) that if we got high points the world would be our oyster... High points this, high points that, CAO, honours maths blah de blah bullsh1t... hmm... :rolleyes: I got a (reasonably) good lc (500pts) and have managed to completely fcuk up my life in every possible way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I heard another one

When the Irish arrived in the USA they were poor so lived in the worst parts of the cities, the blacks were there too.

Excuse the spelling; dtuiggeann tú? got picked up by the locals and you hear it nowadays, dig it? Can ya dig it?

Same meaning, do you understand

Don't know if it's true but I suspect it is. :)
    I've heard the same about didgeridoo. It's not an Aboriginal word. They use the word Yidaki.
    I heard it was derived from the Irish, piobaire dubh (black piper)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Wibbs wrote: »
    IIRC men could technically, with a lot of medical intervention carry a foetus. Attached to their kidney(again IIRC). Like an artificial ectopic pregnancy kinda thing. So maybe slightly correct? I doubt they could carry it for long though and I seriously doubt they could carry one to anything like full term.

Stan: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
    Reg: But you can't have babies.
    Stan: Don't you oppress me.
    Reg: Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?

Source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Fair enough.

oryIS.jpg

Ok, so her version is foreign to euro = bank buys rate - this is correct.

However, iffff dear Holly walked into her bank with the resulting 75 and five-ninths of a euro, she wouldn't get out 68£ to buy the wonderful contraption.

So I say it's an equation.

x = euros holly needs to get £68 from bank

So it's actually euros to foreign - where we know the exchange rate and the result.

0.85x = 68

x = 68 ÷ 0.85

x = 80

And they say students need to think outside of the box more... :D

That is correct. The price in the local shop is irrelevant, and so is the rate that the bank buys sterling at.

What does your teacher say the answer is, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

That was Junior

Twins was a great film, Junior was trash

Thanks, I did get the two movies confused, but I was talking mid-eighties (Twins-era), not the ninties (Junior-era). The only point of mentioning the movie anyways was to stress it was being talked about by our teachers before the movie came out.
    shizz wrote: »
    I think nearly every map is like that.

Yeah, there are lots of different ways of showing a map of the world... I think the term is 'projection'. More than 20 years later, though, I couldn't honestly say what type of map it was, other than she was extremely excited because it was based on satellite measurements. (So, I'm fairly confidient it wasn't the standard Mercator map).

Edit: A quick google tells me it could have been a Peters Map, which doesn't really sit with the satellite thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Did any of you moaners ever think that maybe the teachers were taking the piss with ye and that ye were too thick to get it at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

psicic wrote: »
    Yeah, there are lots of different ways of showing a map of the world... I think the term is 'projection'. More than 20 years later, though, I couldn't honestly say what type of map it was, other than she was extremely excited because it was based on satellite measurements. (So, I'm fairly confidient it wasn't the standard Mercator map).

Edit: A quick google tells me it could have been a Peters Map, which doesn't really sit with the satellite thing.

I would be fairly confident it's peters map.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

kaji wrote: »
    Did any of you moaners ever think that maybe the teachers were taking the piss with ye and that ye were too thick to get it at the time?

No. This is general stupidity. When a teacher hands out punishments when they are corrected, it is hard to see it as taking the piss :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

retalivity wrote: »
    Also, the virgin birth.
    In Biology it was called Parthenogenesis.

Aphids and such

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In Biology it was called Parthenogenesis.

Aphids and such

and Komodo dragons as we recently discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

All the lads in primary school class were astounded by Schwarzenegger's physique, sure what young lad wouldn't be
    Erm... heterosexual ones? I'm pretty sure I was more interested in the chick he was with.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

i was thought about earth cakes, pie land, window stills, f 0 = fifty, oh lord that teacher!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Erm... heterosexual ones? I'm pretty sure I was more interested in the chick he was with.

Come on, we were nine years old, not teenagers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Pluto is a planet. Lying bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I will fucking stab the next person who uses thought instead of taught. That'll learn 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jmurry

If you get suspended you will never get a job because there will be sine kind of giant red stamp to wars of any employer who would even dream of employing someone who had to stay at home from school for a few days for some minor breach of the rules.

Come on, we were nine years old, not teenagers[/Quote]

I'm pretty sure 9 is very young to be having homosexual fantasies about Mr. Universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

He was correct

Gluastain became carr ;)

Never heard that before and I'm a carr :(

Cumann na nGaedheal.

History teacher pronounced it as Cyoomawn nah Gwailhead. No lie.

Was that teacher Welsh.....by the way you typed it, it looks Welsh or even Gallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Apparently there were no Communist countries left after the Cold War.

Poor Fidel just got wrote out of history and that missile launch the other day, well it never existed in the first place.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone on here will remember this but we had "uniform inspectors", how's that for annoying

We had a uniform inspector that got a black marker and coloured in a tiny white stripe on my school trainers....hateful woman - years later I met her when she was retired and when I reminded her about the trainer thing, all she had to say was "aren't you glad now that I did that".....errrr - no.....I'm still unemployed lol

FanadMan wrote: »
    mishkalucy wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone on here will remember this but we had "uniform inspectors", how's that for annoying

Lol I remember this, I think it was a culchie thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭vixdname

That ALL life on earth required Sun Light to live.

That was until a few years later they found bacteria and larger living organisms that lived in total darkness and got their nourishment from under ocean thermal vents - Sun light being essential for ALL life on Earth - WRONG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Father Damien your tea is ready!!!!

That same teacher also had the gall to claim that Blur were better than Oasis......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 THEBALLS

like this if

-you wanted to be a fireman
    -are angry
    -dont want to like this
    -have a large penis
    -have never worn a kilt
    -think its a disgrace the pope carries a 704k gold staff
    -didnt know gold crashed to earth from space and that theres a planet made of 80-90% gold
    -like icecream
    -think jennifer annisten is hotter then angelina jolie
    -like spanking noodles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

THEBALLS wrote: »
    like this if

-you wanted to be a fireman
    -are angry
    -dont want to like this
    -have a large penis
    -have never worn a kilt
    -think its a disgrace the pope carries a 704k gold staff
    -didnt know gold crashed to earth from space and that theres a planet made of 80-90% gold
    -like icecream
    -think jennifer annisten is hotter then angelina jolie
    -like spanking noodles

I think someone got lost on their way to Facebook. Hoe exactly do you "like" a post on Boards?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

THEBALLS wrote: »
    like this if

Go away. Please.
    Actually, NOPLEASEFORYOU!

Advertisement