Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I heard another one

When the Irish arrived in the USA they were poor so lived in the worst parts of the cities, the blacks were there too.

Excuse the spelling; dtuiggeann tú? got picked up by the locals and you hear it nowadays, dig it? Can ya dig it?

Same meaning, do you understand

Don't know if it's true but I suspect it is. :)

I have no idea if it's true or not either, but I know a girl who wrote it in her Honours LC stair na gaeilge... She told the teacher afterwards, who literally face palmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

carolmarx wrote: »
    I have no idea if it's true or not either, but I know a girl who wrote it in her Honours LC stair na gaeilge... She told the teacher afterwards, who literally face palmed.

Yeah, not really relevant to the Irish language, more of an american slang history story...

I think they're true though, there's a good few of them, can't remember the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

vixdname wrote: »
    That ALL life on earth required Sun Light to live.

That was until a few years later they found bacteria and larger living organisms that lived in total darkness and got their nourishment from under ocean thermal vents - Sun light being essential for ALL life on Earth - WRONG

Take away the sun and life on earth as we know it perishes. So it's not altogether wrong. Interestingly also that because the sun is the only relative bright spot in a relatively dark sky life on earth (again, as we know it) can exist. If there were more stars brightening up our planet region, life as we know it may never have existed here. Or alternatively life so vastly different to ours may have be here. Put simply, life is born in the stars and without them you wouldn't have anything. :)

Also another depressing thing is our sun is a waster and is burning far too fast, so the window for life as we know it in the solar system is significantly shorter than else where in the universe. Lucky bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

watna wrote: »
    I think someone got lost on their way to Facebook. Hoe exactly do you "like" a post on Boards?!

I assume he meant "thank" this instead of "like" lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

THEBALLS wrote: »
    like this if

-you wanted to be a fireman
    -are angry
    -dont want to like this
    -have a large penis
    -have never worn a kilt
    -think its a disgrace the pope carries a 704k gold staff
    -didnt know gold crashed to earth from space and that theres a planet made of 80-90% gold
    -like icecream
    -think jennifer annisten is hotter then angelina jolie
    -like spanking noodles

Someone was incorrectly taught that this is Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

things i was thought that are incorrect??

that life is fair and just. seems the harder you work and the nicer you are the worse things turn out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

allibastor wrote: »
    things i was thought that are incorrect??
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

BizzyC wrote: »
    carolmarx wrote: »

Yeah, not really relevant to the Irish language, more of an american slang history story...

I think they're true though, there's a good few of them, can't remember the rest.
    'Smashing!' comes from 'is maith sin'.

bluewolf wrote: »
    No

???????

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

???????
    I will fucking stab the next person who uses thought instead of taught. That'll learn 'em.

Now, someone could have done something witty along those lines, but it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

???????

The thread is things you were TAUGHT, not things you THOUGHT. Does that clear it up?

summerskin wrote: »
    The thread is things you were TAUGHT, not things you THOUGHT. Does that clear it up?

yes it does. sorry, being dyslexic does have its drawbacks sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

yes it does. sorry, being dyslexic does have its drawbacks sometimes.

I was taught that dyslexics can't spell the word 'dyslexic'.

SHENANIGANS!!! :pac:

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I was taught that dyslexics can't spell the word 'dyslexic'.

SHENANIGANS!!! :pac:

all depends on what type you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The type where you perfectly spell the wrong word?

no, where the meaning and spelling of words is not registered on the brain. word with same spelling but different meaning dont really stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I was just kidding, no offence intended :)

I don't remember much of what was taught to me in school! I try to repress those dark backwards times referred to as the 90's!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

no, where the meaning and spelling of words is not registered on the brain.word with same spelling but different meaning dont really stand out.

But surely if two words (with different meanings) are spelled the same way, it doesn't matter which word you spell. So how could it be spelled wrongly?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭libnation

Joint writing was the biggest self esteem killer in school. If you couldn't do it you were shouted at despite never needing to know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

That most of the worlds population lives in the southern hemisphere as that's where China is :eek:

sir , eh we think China might actually be in the northern hemisphere

Teacher: Well then get the globe and we'll see how much is in the northern hemisphere ......

We get globe

f a i l.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

A pint of milk helps them bones, them bones them bones need calcium.

They left out the fact that there is calcium in many other types of food, you don't need to drink a pint of Milk every day.

In fact, if you do drink a pint of Milk everyday you are increasing the risk of Cardiac disease.

Also, as the human body cannot completey digest the lactose sugars within Milk, drinking a pint of milk each day will ensure that your farts stink more than normal & you will find yourself contantly hacking up the phelgm/snot stuck at the back of your throat as your body tried to reject the lactose build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I was taught that it's rude to correct someone's grammar in public. Apparently that's incorrect.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Climber wrote: »
    you will find yourself contantly hacking up the phelgm/snot stuck at the back of your throat as your body tried to reject the lactose build up.
    Did they teach you that in science ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Climber wrote: »
    you will find yourself contantly hacking up the phelgm/snot stuck at the back of your throat as your body tried to reject the lactose build up.

I don't think it's down to lactose buildup. For starters, it seems to occur immediately and I don't think your body would have time to figure out you're after eating lactose quickly enough to produce phlegm.

It seems to be more down to anything that's fatty - for example, I get it when I eat gravy on my spuds - gravy's made of mostly fat runoff from the meat.

Lovely:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

you should never be selfish and put yourself first

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

There were millions of these but one of the best had to be my business studies teacher who told us that a the first two numbers of a barcode told you where it came from (40 apparently means it was made in Ireland or he UK). She really was a moron! she also told us it was the law that you had to be paid triple time on Easter Sunday.

Not quite someting i was taught, but i remember in primary school there was a maths question something on the lines of "there are 72 people on a bus that's 80% full what's the bus's capacity?". The idiot teaching us multiplied 72 by 120% giving 86.4! Apparently a bus can only hold part of a person!! (Feel free to indulge your inner smart @rse with that ammo). the worst part was that i had managed to do it right and she spent ages trying to explain to me how i was wrong, and if one of my classmates had managed to explain it it her (i was sh!t at explaining stuff when i was 10 ... unfortunately it hasn't improved) i'd still be there now. God only knows how much crap she pumped us full of that no-one pick up on. i was so guiliable as a 10 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Another one that used to irk me was the myth that was perpetuated by many of my teachers who thought I was some sort of loon (ok, I was, but I was still correct) when I used to correct on the myth that more humans are alive today than were ever alive over the course of human history on this plant. Seriously, if you even stop to think about it for a second it's obviously rubbish,yet that didn't stop at least three different teachers from stating it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

There was a reading teacher who insisted that Mark Twain,born Samuel Clemens - 1835 in Missouri USA was one and the same person as Charles Dickens, born 1812 in England.
    She got really angry when several kids pointed out her mistake and never admitted she was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Jernal wrote: »
    Another one that used to irk me was the myth that was perpetuated by many of my teachers who thought I was some sort of loon (ok, I was, but I was still correct) when I used to correct on the myth that more humans are alive today than were ever alive over the course of human history on this plant. Seriously, if you even stop to think about it for a second it's obviously rubbish,yet that didn't stop at least three different teachers from stating it. :(

Are you sure they didn't mean that the earth's population is higher now that any point in history as its constantly increasing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Secondary school geography teacher taught me, that Wales is a mountainless country.

It's actually mountainous.....

Advertisement