Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 41 rain10

That "'I before 'e' except after 'c'" is a rule.

There are more words that break it than there are that conform to it.

ha ha totally agree, dont know what clown came up with that ''rule''

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

That the Sugarloaf in the Wicklow Mtns was an extinct volcano... Only found out in college that it's not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

That the Sugarloaf in the Wicklow Mtns was an extinct volcano... Only found out in college that it's not!

I was taught that too at school, said it to my OH when I read that, they where taught it too:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What?!!?!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

micropig wrote: »
    I was taught that too at school, said it to my OH when I read that, they where taught it too:pac:
    Yup same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Kolido wrote: »
    Are you sure they didn't mean that the earth's population is higher now that any point in history as its constantly increasing?

Certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭IsaacWunder

For anyone a smartphone, Wikipedia tells us that "it is in fact an erosion-resistant metamorphosed sedimentary deposit from the deep sea."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

That was actually in some geography books!
    Don't know how the department of education did that.

Luckily we had a decent teacher who told us that our book was wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Is it possible that that actually was the prevailing theory when you were in school?

It sounds a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Is it possible that that actually was the prevailing theory when you were in school?

It sounds a bit mad.

I was told the same, only found out.....................just now! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

When I was a kid, my dad used to always break the speed limit. Being a precocious little fellow, I asked why he went faster than the roadsigns said.

He told me that they put the signs up back when roads weren't so good, when cars found it harder stop on them and could get damaged by travelling too fast. He added that they'd improved roads since then, and you could go faster. They just hadn't bothered to change the signs.

Still can't believe I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

geeky wrote: »
    When I was a kid, my dad used to always break the speed limit. Being a precocious little fellow, I asked why he went faster than the roadsigns said.

He told me that they put the signs up back when roads weren't so good, when cars found it harder stop on them and could get damaged by travelling too fast. He added that they'd improved roads since then, and you could go faster. They just hadn't bothered to change the signs.

:D My father told me that his scar from his BCG vaccination was a bullet hole from when he was shot in the "War in Africa".

Just to be clear I was about four.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jernal wrote: »
    Another one that used to irk me was the myth that was perpetuated by many of my teachers who thought I was some sort of loon (ok, I was, but I was still correct) when I used to correct on the myth that more humans are alive today than were ever alive over the course of human history on this plant. Seriously, if you even stop to think about it for a second it's obviously rubbish,yet that didn't stop at least three different teachers from stating it. :(

I still here people saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

that buffalo are extinct. remember when buffalo hunky dorys came out? and they had a bit of a speil on the back about how they kept buffalo in co. meath? well, i was the laughing stock of the office that day let me tell ya.

and she was the primary school principle. bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Approximately and exactly mean the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

rain10 wrote: »
    ha ha totally agree, dont know what clown came up with that ''rule''

The problem is that you weren't taught the whole rule.

i before e,
    Except after c,
    Or when sounded as "a,"

...or a few variations of that. There are still exceptions, but not so many.

So, yeah, another thing you were taught wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

that buffalo are extinct. remember when buffalo hunky dorys came out? and they had a bit of a speil on the back about how they kept buffalo in co. meath? well, i was the laughing stock of the office that day let me tell ya.

and she was the primary school principle. bint.

I think people were confusing buffalo with bison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Gbear wrote: »
    I think people were confusing buffalo with bison.
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

geeky wrote: »

He actually wasn't too far wrong. Most of today's speed limits were set based on outdated stopping distances of cars from decades ago. Current cars are fitted with ABS and can stop in a much shorter distance but the speed limits were never altered accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That a vomitorium was a place Ancient Romans used to have in their homes for deliberately vomiting. It wasn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

El Weirdo wrote: »

:confused:

got 2 thanks so must mean something - whatammi missn?

edit: yup...bison = buffalo and vice verse

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Quazzie wrote: »
    He actually wasn't too far wrong. Most of today's speed limits were set based on outdated stopping distances of cars from decades ago. Current cars are fitted with ABS and can stop in a much shorter distance but the speed limits were never altered accordingly.

There are still some old cars on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yep, was taught that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

This thread has taught me that teachers need higher minimum education levels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

At least I think that's what they meant!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

edit: yup...bison = buffalo and vice verse

Bisons were also called American Buffalo but they're not actually buffalo. Different animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

It sounds a bit mad.

I doubt it- it's made of metamorphosed sandstone, nothing volcanic about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I heard a teacher say the Sun is four times larger than Earth.

Also, the Earth is a sphere.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

El Weirdo wrote: »

Everytime that's mentioned, I end up saying the word Buffalo over and over again to myself like a complete lunatic. It's like my brain gets stuck on that one word... damn you! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ush1 wrote: »
    I heard a teacher say the Sun is four times larger than Earth.

Whatever about teachers. . .
    Table quiz : simple Round 1 question what is shape of the planet Earth.

Our answer of "Oblate Spheroid" was deemed to be incorrect.

Luckily, it didn't cost us too much but both me and my teammate who were adamant about it were pissed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well - it more or less is. Good enough for primary school kids. 'Oblate spheroid' may be a distinction too far...

Advertisement