Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Jernal wrote: »

Makes sense when you think about it! 100's of millions die every year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

That the phrase was "For all intensive purposes"

fuckin substitute english teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Where To wrote: »
    I was teached not taught :mad:

are you sure that you didn't just learnded that stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

To believe what you read in the newspapers and on Boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

jpcarlow wrote: »
    That the phrase was "For all intensive purposes"

fuckin substitute english teacher

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You mean, it's not? :eek: What is it? Intents and purposes? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You mean, it's not? :eek: What is it? Intents and purposes? :(
    Yep :/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

intensive purposes
    escape goat
    irregardless
    tow the line
    reign it in
    it's a mute point

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

bluewolf wrote: »
    irregardless

That one does my head in. The amount of emails and messages I receive today with that one in it . . .grr!

That one does my head in. The amount of emails and messages I receive today with that one in it . . .grr!

"revert" is going to be the top of my most hated list, always

please revert to me

HOW DO YOU PROPOSE I DO THAT EXACTLY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

anyone get "the drugs are bad" speeches from the local guard and some other "professional" dude.....dear god the ****e they came out with to scare us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

please revert to me

Believe it or not I don't think I've ever encountered that one. That or it's such a rarity I fail to recall it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

'Irregardless' has been so widely used that some authorities argue that it is a proper word now. :) :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Gbear wrote: »
    I think people were confusing buffalo with bison.

They're not extinct either, although their numbers have severely declined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

An Urban Planning teacher in 2006 told us "house prices will never fall" !! :o

She wouldn't even entertain the idea or even discuss it, Talk about infallible or vested interest.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Patchy~ wrote: »
    ...The C is there, and the I isnt before the E. So thats actually following the rule?

I remembered another one today. Not exactly something I was taught but the riddle "Brothers and sisters I have none, but this man's father is my father's son" with the answer being "hes looking at a picture of himself" makes no sense. The dad is his own son?
    Once again, a primary school teacher. :rolleyes:

I had a long dispute with several people about this. They were all too stupid to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

escape goat

Holy **** that's brilliant.

I think I'll use that from now on :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

please revert to me

My solution was to explain that I managed the mail server backups and that I could revert their inbox back to before they sent that email. :mad:

'Irregardless' has been so widely used that some authorities argue that it is a proper word now. :) :mad:

if it were a word it would mean "regarding"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ManCityChamps

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

That men are naturally senseless barbarians who're a plague on humanity while women are naturally sensible saints who're are only held back from making the earth a utopia by the vicious patriarchy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

intensive purposes
    escape goat
    irregardless
    tow the line
    reign it in
    it's a mute point

Overexaggeration much?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

We were told that before making our holy communion the bishop would be coming to the school and we would be asked questions on stories in our catecism (sp) books and if we didnt get them right we wouldn't be allowed to make out communion...every one was scared shítless that we would fail. The bishop never came and we all made our communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

That men are naturally senseless barbarians who're a plague on humanity while women are naturally sensible saints who're are only held back from making the earth a utopia by the vicious patriarchy. :rolleyes:

That all Man City supporters would be happy with their win and this joy would spread to other areas of their lives.

Feeona wrote: »
    That all Man City supporters would be happy with their win and this joy would spread to other areas of their lives.

Cut him some slack. He's still in the gloating phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Reminds me of the simpsons, when Dr. Nick has set fire to the hospital he comes out with this classic
    "What a country, inflammable means it's flammable?:confused:"

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

That the Cliffs of Moher are the highest sea cliffs in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That aquired traits are not passed off to our kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

My girlfriend is an environmental something or other. basically schools come to the field centre she works in and they do all sorts of experiments and lessons. Anyway, she says she is constantly fighting with teachers who teach their class things like "rivers get slower as they go downstream" and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anna Nicole

All other religions especially protestants will burn in the fiery pit of he'll and we must pray for their souls to convert.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

My girlfriend is an environmental something or other. basically schools come to the field centre she works in and they do all sorts of experiments and lessons. Anyway, she says she is constantly fighting with teachers who teach their class things like "rivers get slower as they go downstream" and things like that.

Jack, do you listen when she talks?:D:D

• Advertisement

That the Cliffs of Moher are the highest sea cliffs in Europe

Yeah, this one's hilarious. They're not even the highest sea cliffs in Ireland. Not even remotely close to it.

Advertisement