Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Boombastic wrote: »
    the summer solstice isn't always on the 21st of June, it varies from year to year between the 21st and the 22nd

20th to 22nd

20th on a leap year (early due to over-correction of leap day), 21st on next 2 years, 22nd on 3rd (late as leap-day correction due the following year).

This isn't perfectly accurate either of course, to keep in line the leap year is every 4 years except on turn of the century and double-except on turn of the millenium. (i.e. 1900 wasn't a leap year, 2000 was)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Seanchai wrote: »
    In Ireland this is perfectly correct. Just as Bealtaine/1 May is start of summer, Lúnasa/1 August is start of autumn, and Samhain/1 November is start of winter. It has been thus for many, many centuries. It's unlikely to change merely because the Oxford English Dictionary, and the British generally, start each of these seasons a month later.

Surely we should base these dates on accepted scientific knowledge, and not on a centuries-old tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

alproctor wrote: »
    Surely we should base these dates on accepted scientific knowledge, and not on a centuries-old tradition.
    It is. As I explained its based on the Solstice in each season, which is mid season and at the start of the season as was suggested.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The best part is, since the Soviets characteristically kept it top secret, and the Americans didn't know about it, it had absolutely no deterrent effect,
    That was the plot of Dr Strangelove so they probably had an idea.

Edit The President's name was Merkin Muffley :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

shuridunno wrote: »
    The principal of our primary school told us there was a man in Russia with his finger on a button,

http://i.imgur.com/KmKlm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Catch a ni*ger by the toe.
    Haha I remember that haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

left and right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I wonder if its the same one I had, who insisted that Bonn Was the capital of germany.

(i showed that bitch a capital.... Bitches Love capitals....)
    :pac:

When were you in school, it was the capital of West Germany.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

Didn't think I'd see this thread resurrected again! Awesome!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

faceman wrote: »

So after hours, what happens when the cartilage wears down and bone rubs against each other? SOMEBODY TELL ME!!!!

Arthritis, AFAIK....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Gurgle wrote: »
    Rivers definitely slow down. I've seen them reverse.
    There's some new-fangled notion doing the rounds, might be worth your while googling it. I think its called 'gravity' or something.

Are you opposing my point or sarcastically agreeing with it? gravity is indeed what makes rivers speed up or slow down. The reversing is tidal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Quazzie wrote: »
    alproctor wrote: »
    It is. As I explained its based on the Solstice in each season, which is mid season and at the start of the season as was suggested.

Outside Ireland most northern hemisphere countries see May as Spring. June is colloquially the start of summer , but meteorologists see the equinox and solistices as start of the seasons. .

Are you opposing my point or sarcastically agreeing with it? gravity is indeed what makes rivers speed up or slow down. The reversing is tidal.

Jaysus, that was yesterday. I only have the vaguest memory of typing it at all, never mind what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If the wind changes your face will stay like that!

Santa is real.

Christ we are so gullible as kids

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Give people a second chance and the benefit of the doubt .....with your money not mine .

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

A teacher told me this year that Iceland isn't in Europe :confused:

*edit* He concluded that it wasn't in Europe after he told me that the most western point in Europe is Achille Island. When I said what about Iceland he said it wasn't part of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Patriot missiles and scud missiles are exactly the same thing (just different names due to US propaganda)

The Roman Empire fell because the Romans all got fat and lazy.

Sentences can never ever start with but or because.

Triangle and circle geometry is useful.

Germany and Italy were the only fascist powers and Germany invaded the USSR because Hitler was just plain mad.

St. Patrick converted Ireland to modern Catholicism

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

SdoowSirhc wrote: »

*edit* He concluded that it wasn't in Europe after he told me that the most western point in Europe is Achille Island. When I said what about Iceland he said it wasn't part of Europe

Mmmmm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceland

wiki is always right.

Careful not to show up that teacher or you will be a marked man or woman (badly marked Id say)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Iceland isn't in Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Quazzie wrote: »

The continent of Europe and the European Union are not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Water freezes at 100C, was a typo in our Geography book and pretty much proved that our teacher had no business teaching at all

He never mentioned the EU or any thing else, he said it actually specifically said it wasn't part of the continent. Maybe I am wrong but I'm pretty sure it must be part of Europe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

*edit* He concluded that it wasn't in Europe after he told me that the most western point in Europe is Achille Island.

He was wrong there too. The Blasket Islands are further west than Oileán Acla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Triangle and circle geometry is useful.
    I use it every day.

I use it every day.

Engineer much? :D

Oh I have one that I just remembered from Leaving Cert Physics:

Pluto is so small because its gravitational strength was powerful enough to make it collapse (i.e. it's a Neutron Star). Naturally it would be impossible to stand up on Pluto because you would be squashed flat! :pac:

This was taught by our Physics teacher. I tried to convince the teacher that you might find it hard to stand up on Pluto because if you're not careful you could float off it, its mass is so small - but I wasn't the one with a degree in physics.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

That the universe would eventually stop expanding and hurtle back together in the Big Crunch.

I wasn't the one with a degree in physics.. :eek:
    Neither was he.

He was wrong there too. The Blasket Islands are further west than Oileán Acla.
    Hahah, brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Gurgle wrote: »
    Neither was he.

Actually he probably was such is the standard of today's graduates I wouldn't be surprised if he was.:(

Advertisement