Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That the end doesn't justify the means.

In reality you can't use the end to justify every means.

But you can't justify unintended consequences that are highly predicatable just because you don't like the means to achieve a better end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

[RANT]

It amazes me the amount of misinformation given by teachers to gullible and naive schoolchildren and the amount of bull**it information that there is on the JC and LC curriculum.
    • You cant start a sentence with because

Couldn't be more wrong. You cannot start a sentence with a conjunction and not have a sentence fragment on front or behind it. The following would be incorrect. Because it was raining. The following sentence, on the other hand is fine: Because of the rain, my football game was spoiled.
    • Electron orbitals go 2 electrons, then 8, 8,8 .... so on, and so forth

This couldn't be more wrong, as a student of chemistry, I absolutely cringe when my younger cousins do that for JC. Why teach them wrong information like that as if it's fact ??
    • Vomitorium

'Nuff Said
    • Can't, won't, isn't etc is not proper English and therefore shouldn't be used in essays

They bloody well can if you are quoting direct speech !!

[/RANT]

ANYBODY ??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just about everything related to life and general, exams and university.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Lough Neagh is a divot left behind when CuCulainn took a swipe with his hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Aushwitz wasn't a major comcentration camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Geography teacher tried telling me the world was round, ohh how i loled that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

In before the Atheists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I had to teach myself most of what I know, Our teachers were so boring and unmotivated and only seemed interested when it came to doing the communion, confirmation...

• Advertisement

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭chrissb7

cspe, Irish, Outdated science modules.While on the topic of 2nd level my issue with it is the amount of writing, time constrictions within exams.I can't write 4 and a half pages in 45 mins (well I can but a good 4 pages requires time to think and shape).School itself is just a huge memory test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

That dj skooter was good .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Scavangers are dead animals.
    Carrion are animals that eat dead animals.

It's got to be very embarassing to be corrected by a 10 year old...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

"You need to learn this."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I was taught that a college education was a worthwhile and useful experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Swallowing chewing gum blocks up your guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭passatman86

quote the teacher

yes you do have to learn algebra .. you will use it everyday in life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Religion.

NASA stands for "North American Space Association", and "Platinum" is spelt "Platignum". (I think she got the metal mixed up with the brand of stationery.)

More generally, the idea that if you misbehave it's okay for teachers to throw things at you, slap you, and bounce your head off the wall. (Yes, this was long after that sort of thing was illegal but before we knew we could and should complain.)

(What's wrong with "vomitorium"?)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm pretty sure this one isn't actually written down anywhere in the Curriculum or Teaching Guidelines. Just saying...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

[RANT]

Couldn't be more wrong. You cannot start a sentence with a conjunction and not have a sentence fragment on front or behind it. The following would be incorrect. Because it was raining. The following sentence, on the other hand is fine: Because of the rain, my football game was spoiled.
    THIS!
    I'm pretty sure this one isn't actually written down anywhere in the Curriculum or Teaching Guidelines. Just saying...
    I was taught it in primary school. I realized it was BS pretty soon after since I used to read an awful lot, but all through 5th and 6th year I had this geography teacher whose writing was so messy, and mine's no masterpiece but I'd spend ages on my answers, making them neat. I got one back one day with every single "because" underlined and circled and scribbled over...such an idiot, English was one of my best subjects too, and I didn't ask for his opinion! So while it wasn't his job to "teach" me that, he had no problem thinking it was okay to do that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Religion.

NASA stands for "North American Space Association", and "Platinum" is spelt "Platignum". (I think she got the metal mixed up with the brand of stationery.)

More generally, the idea that if you misbehave it's okay for teachers to throw things at you, slap you, and bounce your head off the wall. (Yes, this was long after that sort of thing was illegal but before we knew we could and should complain.)

(What's wrong with "vomitorium"?)

It's a perfectly cromulent word, it just doesn't mean "a room where people vomit."
    It actually refers to a passage under rows of seats in an amphitheatre to allow people to leave easily and quickly.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

It's a perfectly cromulent word, it just doesn't mean "a room where people vomit."
    It actually refers to a passage under rows of seats in an amphitheatre to allow people to leave easily and quickly.

trust you to squeeze in a picardesque word I don't understand cromulent reminds me of Cromwell; who ran riot around here so can't ever be a good thing.

And vomitarium is where I'd slip in to have a pee when the toilet was too far

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

That leaving your toilet seat lid up at night will cause you to die in your sleep.
    . Also, if you leave your can of beer open for longer than 30 mins it converts to acid and that's why we should never drink alcohol because it will convert into acid in our stomachs and kill us. I wish I was joking, but my teacher said this last week in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

The most incorrect thing I was ever taught was that the love I experienced when I was growing up was unique. I wasn't told, I would never experience that again. Looking back, it was more pure and defined than any love I could ever consider now. It was absolute innocence at its best. Unfortunately, life robbed me of that innocence, and now I have to make tracks to try in a vain attempt to have a sense, what that innocence was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That all the animals have been discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I had a b*tch of a history teacher in secondary school. One of those people that would never admit she's wrong.

She insisted that the correct spelling for the Polish city of Gdańsk (also known by its German name Danzig) was actually GDansk. No kidding, two capital letters there. When I corrected her with 100% conviction that she's being stupid, she would not yield an inch.

She was obsessed with the Rosa Parks incident that led to the Montgomery Bus Boycott and believed the whole thing was set up by the black people of Alabama (i.e., she didn't believe that Parks refused out of her own will to give up her seat to a white man).

This one was the worst. She said the USSR invaded Afghanistan in order to get access to the sea. Ignoring the fact that they already had plenty of it, my friend pointed out to her that Afghanistan is in fact a land-locked country. Her response was simple: "well, you see, once you take over Afghanistan, that's one step closer to invading Pakistan and they do have access to the sea"... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

quote the teacher

yes you do have to learn algebra .. you will use it everyday in life

I .... do actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The worst, most demoralising thing a parent could say to a child.....'schooldays are the best days of your life'

Me bollix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

That dingo's can't kidnap babies.

Advertisement