Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

That I have a Permanent Record.

That there was a famine in Ireland between 1845 and 1852.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Being taught that Mont Blanc was the highest mountain in Europe...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'll always remember being told by our science teacher in 1st year that the Sun wasn't a star. Someone in the class asked her what the Sun was so?, she just said it was the Sun, and the Sun was not a star!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Being taught that Mont Blanc was the highest mountain in Europe...

:rolleyes:

Away to Russia with you! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    I was told by a science teacher that global warming was due to the natural cycles in the sun and the earth's atmosphere, not the production of greenhouse gasses. In fairness he showed us a lot of evidence to back it up and allowed us to make up our own mind; still it was strange for a science teacher to knowingly go against the vast majority of respected scientists in the world.

Sun cycles do influence temperature on earth. There was a mini ice age in the 17th or 18th century due to a lack or abundance of sun sports...i can't remember which

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

parc wrote: »
    Sun cycles do influence temperature on earth. There was a mini ice age in the 17th or 18th century due to a lack or abundance of sun sports...i can't remember which

Sun sports? Like field hockey, tennis or beach ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I went all the way right up until 6th year saying and writing 'could/would of', instead of 'could/would have.'

Teacher said it's a Dublin thing that's crept in a lot more these days. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bigtoe107 wrote: »
    I was told by a science teacher that global warming was due to the natural cycles in the sun and the earth's atmosphere, not the production of greenhouse gasses. In fairness he showed us a lot of evidence to back it up and allowed us to make up our own mind; still it was strange for a science teacher to knowingly go against the vast majority of respected scientists in the world.

It is.

There is natural global warming and cooling caused by the variation of earth's orbit, sun activity and even volcanic activity. And then there is man made global warming due to greenhouse gas emissions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

jasonmcco wrote: »
    That the first humans on earth was adam and eve and adam ate an apple and that's why we wear clothes.

Well, you know how bashful apples can be...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sun sports? Like field hockey, tennis or beach ball?

You forgot the best sun sport of all - tits out ping pong.
    You know the one, there are always two girls with implausibly pointy breasts playing it on the beach when you're on holidays. I love that game!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

It is.

There is natural global warming and cooling caused by the variation of earth's orbit, sun activity and even volcanic activity. And then there is man made global warming due to greenhouse gas emissions etc

I know that it's just he totally rejected that any of it was man made. He said scientists were being pressurised into accepting this theory. It all seemed like a bit of a conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I'll always remember being told by our science teacher in 1st year that the Sun wasn't a star. Someone in the class asked her what the Sun was so?, she just said it was the Sun, and the Sun was not a star!!

Yeah, I've heard other people say the same thing. What do they think it is, a two bar heater?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Fat people have "big bones". :rolleyes:

Odd how these "big boned" people are fat rather than just having a massive skelaton isn't it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

stoneill wrote: »
    Lough Neagh is a divot left behind when CuCulainn took a swipe with his hurley.

You weren't taught that as a fact. It was probably taught as part of Irish mythology. Part of that legend is that the divot ended up in the Irish Sea and is now the Isle of man.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Bodhran

This probably wasn't taught in school but I bet a lot of parents told their kids not to go swimming for at least an hour after eating. Apparently, if you swam before the hour was up you would get cramps in the water and would drown. It was all a big lie!

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hourwait.asp

Advertisement