Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Haelium wrote: »
    Finally, I was told that WW1 involved Hitler.

It did :)

He was a brave corporal and he even won some medals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

that drugs are bad. drugs are great, it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Cursive writing improves speed and also ,would you believe, spelling. It is also very good for children with dyslexia as they learn the word as a whole pattern.

Untrue. I am dyslexic myself. When I was learning cursive I could do it no problem but it never helped with my spelling at all, more so confused my spelling!

I write in block(or whatever non-cursive is called) since I was in 3rd year and found it much easier and I can see the letters and spell the word right. Its the same 15 years on. i dont remember any teachers saying anything about not using cursive either at the time.

I also notice a lot of people I work with do not write in cursive anymore either, just very neat 'block text'.

Great thread!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Haelium

mikemac1 wrote: »
    It did :)

He was a brave corporal and he even won some medals
    You know what I mean. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Phoenix park is the biggest enclosed park in the world.
    It's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

That poetry written many years ago contains relevant and modern themes. BS.

I had a Music teacher that once claimed she wrote the ging gang goolie scout song herself. I knew better. I got in trouble for piping up until someone else in the class did, and she quickly moved off the subject. Never respected her as a teacher after that, and I was 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's not.

No, it's the biggest in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

I recently heard that some kids in a primary school told a visitor to the school that penguins could fly. The teacher had told them and they were convinced. The visitor spoke to the 2 teachers afterwards who showed him a BBC video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IPazA9Lxks&feature=related

(a good reason for not having 2 teacher schools).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,872 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ye were lucky, he sounds like a cool guy :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cleary_(priest)

We had that clown Cleary come into our school one day during a religious retreat and he told us that he spoke to the devil in Irish as the devil couldn't understand Irish. :confused:

I don't know if he believed what he was saying, but none of us did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Paparazzo wrote: »
    It's not.

2nd biggest afaik, New York's Central Park is the biggest I think!

• Advertisement

We had a PE teacher who used to insist that the thigh muscle was the calf muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise folks, that teachers post on After Hours and After Hours users are teachers. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Victor wrote: »
    Realise folks, that teachers post on After Hours and After Hours users are teachers. :eek:

so? Perhaps theyll learn something and realise that sometimes we are all a bit naive :)

Also, to the parks thing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_park#Urban_parks_by_size

We're way off, and not even biggest in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good, maybe they'll actually check their facts and get a good level of general knowledge before trundling that crap out to suggestable kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Are they taking notes?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

' If it makes you feel good then it is good.'.....i made mistakes with that notion and it's everywhere these days .

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

A nun teaching us sex education when we were 12, told us that love bites caused cancer and I believed it for AGES!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Parsley wrote: »
    that drugs are bad. drugs are great, it turns out.

Instead of trying to terrify nine year-olds by saying every drug was a gateway to becoming a rent boy, we should've been told:

"Actually, you'll have the best night of your life on drugs. Then you'll do drugs again and again until you start to have horrible week-long hangovers and bouts of mild to extreme depression. Take drugs if you want but do it responsibly and be aware of when you need to cut back on them".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Africa wrote: »
    so? Perhaps theyll learn something and realise that sometimes we are all a bit naive :)

Also, to the parks thing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_park#Urban_parks_by_size

We're way off, and not even biggest in europe.

Keyword : "Enclosed" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do you know all this talk has reminded me of another posters story I read in the Clearasil and Hormones forum a few weeks back which actually made me despair.

They were talking about their film study for the Leaving Cert which was Casablanca. Someone in the class asked what year the film was made in and the teacher responded with some time in the late 80's and that it was just set in the 1940s.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I mean thats criminal, Casablanca is the jewel in the crown of the golden period of Hollywood, how could she be teaching a class film and not know basic knowledge such as this. I mean come on!!!! The films star Humphrey Bogart died in 1957! I don't think he was still making movies in the late 80's.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Confab wrote: »
    No, it's the biggest in Europe.
    alproctor wrote: »
    2nd biggest afaik, New York's Central Park is the biggest I think!

Richmond Park in london is nearly double the size, so is Sutton Park in Birmingham.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

I was taught that there are 7 continents but my Da insists that there were only 5 when he was at school

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I remember in primary school finding the word "dew" in a word search. My teacher told me no such word existed. I asked then, what was the wet stuff on the grass in the mornings? "Oh that?" she replied, "That's spelt d-u-e".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

That even if you have plenty of money to buy a new (used) car, its important to get a loan anyway, especially from the credit union, because you can pay it back in no time and then you'll have a great credit history.....and you should do this on your second car too....

I believed/was badgered into it by my parents.

In fact - it's stupid to buy money when you have it (plus additional savings) already.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I was taught that there are 7 continents but my Da insists that there were only 5 when he was at school

How far apart were your school days!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Many of my teachers thought me I was thick. I'm a parent now and if I caught someone telling a child they're thick (anyones child) I'd ream em. A childs self esteem is a fragile thing. Didn't worry a lot of the tools that thought us in school though. I can't even fathom people like that. I'd run into them now and again and they're small old people for the most part and I'd picture myself angry with them; yet all I feel is pity that they spent their lives wasted by undermining others.

I got over it, got qualifications and never tire of telling my children, nieces, nephews and their friends what incredible people they are; and they are.

Ddad;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Ddad wrote: »
    Many of my teachers thought me I was thick. I'm a parent now and if I caught someone telling a child they're thick (anyones child) I'd ream em. A childs self esteem is a fragile thing. Didn't worry a lot of the tools that thought us in school though. I can't even fathom people like that. I'd run into them now and again and they're small old people for the most part and I'd picture myself angry with them; yet all I feel is pity that they spent their lives wasted by undermining others.

I got over it, got qualifications and never tire of telling my children, nieces, nephews and their friends what incredible people they are; and they are.

Ddad;)

Thats nice and all, and people shouldnt be put down but how would you dela with a nephew that was below average academic ability, genuinely?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

*standard After Hours post about the Catholic Church or the existence of God which gets loads of thanks*

:cool:

Must be something in it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

We were told that the English gave our native Irish rabbits myxomatosis during the famine so more of us would die of hunger. And that there was a big black van travelling Ireland to abduct children by offering them sweets. I can understand why we'd be told that, but I used to wonder how hard it could be to find one van in the country since we had a description, and whether the A-Team were involved.

Another teacher told us that she knew of a boy who didn't swallow the communion wafer at mass, but took it out and put it in his pocket. He took it out later and tried to cut it with a knife (yeah, likely) at which point it started bleeding Jesus's blood. And Hasn't Stopped Since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I have a niece with learning difficulties. She has difficulties in school but she works very hard. I admire her tenacity and work ethic and let her know. She isn't ahead of the curve but she is fulfilling her potential and that's what counts. SHe's also a very good sister, great company and has a great smile. There's lots to praise there. We're all multifaceted, I can't recall meeting a human being without great merits.

Advertisement