Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most incorrect thing you were taught?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

Kolido wrote: »
    How far apart were your school days!

Not far enough for the continents to have drifted apart. He says that North and South America are the same continent but I was taught that they were 2 different ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Black Mamba2k12

That Kaliningrad Oblast is part of Lithuania

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

Computer Science teacher -
    On comparing the operation of CDRom to Hard drives-

Reason CDRom drives are so slow is that they read from the start of the spiral track each time of the CD and have to hunt their way to the location of the file you are looking for.

I tried explaining it was to for several other reasons and not that - but he was talking in front of 50 students and wouldnt give in - CD Roms worked like a record player as far as he was concerned.

Primary Degree in Computer Science - Major University in Dublin City - I'm not saying which one

“Roll it back”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Voter 'YES' for jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

that a vomitorium is a room where glutonious Romans went to throw up, so they could eat more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

That even if you have plenty of money to buy a new (used) car, its important to get a loan anyway, especially from the credit union, because you can pay it back in no time and then you'll have a great credit history.....and you should do this on your second car too....

I believed/was badgered into it by my parents.

In fact - it's stupid to buy money when you have it (plus additional savings) already.
    Actually your parents may well be right. When you apply for things like home loans the banks look at your previous borrowing history as a guide to whether you're too risky to loan to. Not having such a history can mean you're denied a loan coz they don't know if you're likely to pay it back or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

sea_monkey wrote: »
    1+1+1+1+1+1*0=0

i remember my first maths class in secondary school when the teacher taught us BEMDAS

i just couldnt understand why i wasnt taught it that way first???

you do realise that you are wrong, was this meant to be ironic?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happyturtle

When I was living back in my country our English teacher told us some stuff she knew about Ireland... And according to her Ireland is a part of Scotland and every Irishmen owns a sheep, like they are everywhere and you keep them home as pets :D When I came here I was kinda surprised and dissapointed - I was planning to get my own one as well... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The films star Humphrey Bogart died in 1957! I don't think he was still making movies in the late 80's.:rolleyes:

Actually, that's not strictly true. Bogart may have legally died in 1957 but he had been working with American government scientists leading up to his death on how to prolong his life. They had discovered an ancient wonder called the "Lazarus pit" deep in the bowels of New York City and he was brought back to life. In 1957, a new actor was born, one who would go on to appear in blockbusters such as Resevoir Dogs, The Wedding Singer and Big Daddy. He had been reborn under a new name: Steve Buscemi.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Wossack wrote: »
    that a vomitorium is a room where glutonious Romans went to throw up, so they could eat more

That's a good one actually and to the best of my knowledge its still been taught on the Junior Cert syllabus as fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I was told during sexual education in primary school that if we fingered a girl then 15 years down the line she would get cancer in her Vagina and come back sue us and we would be arrested and go to jail. No word of a lie. Told by a nun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

O Riain wrote: »
    I was told during sexual education in primary school that if we fingered a girl then 15 years down the line she would get cancer in her Vagina and come back sue us and we would be arrested and go to jail. No word of a lie. Told by a nun.

That's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Paparazzo wrote: »
    That's true.

If thats true then sometime in the next 2 years I'm facing life in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Masturbation makes you go blind

Since I was cursed with poor eyesight and wore glasses from a young age oh you bet I was called wanker

Ugh, painful memories

* runs to personal issues forum crying *

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

A couple of teachers in primary school tried to teach us that "weird" was spelled "wierd". I was that annoying child who'd put her hand up and say "Eh, Miss? That's not how you spell it!" :P

Another time a teacher told us not to write on our hands/arms because the ink would be absorbed into our bloodstreams and poison us. Seriously. Bunch of terrified 8-year-olds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Don't touch birds eggs because the mother will smell you off them and reject the eggs.
    Don't piss in the swimming pool because they have a chemical that detects pee and the water around you will turn red.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Forget about Global Warming we were told in school that we were on the verge of another ice age

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Forget about Global Warming we were told in school that we were on the verge of another ice age

Geologically speaking we are.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

In the nineties it was the Ozone layer
    Then it was global warming
    Now it's climate change

A new name for every decade

And what happened the Ozone layer anyway, is is fixed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Saturated fat is bad for you and whole grains are good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mikemac1 wrote: »
    In the nineties it was the Ozone layer
    Then it was global warming
    Now it's climate change

A new name for every decade

And what happened the Ozone layer anyway, is is fixed?

Actually it was always Anthropogenic Global Warming. And the Ozone layer is totally unrelated to it. That's all for another thread though which would invariably resort to a strong critique of the media and journalists for spreading myth and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

johnt91 wrote: »
    Nope, total bull! The blood is darker when it's deoxygenated but it's still red!

Awkward for my Biology teacher...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

That even if you have plenty of money to buy a new (used) car, its important to get a loan anyway, especially from the credit union, because you can pay it back in no time and then you'll have a great credit history.....and you should do this on your second car too....

I believed/was badgered into it by my parents.

In fact - it's stupid to buy money when you have it (plus additional savings) already.
    They were half right. What you should do is get a loan with no penalties for paying earliest. Take the cash, lodge it and go back the next day and pay off in full. You get a smiley face on your credit report that way and it costs you maybe a few cent interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

...That Holy God is right beside you even if you can't see him. I was so p*ssed off that he wouldn't hold my fruit pastilles for me while I tied my laces when I asked him to and they kept falling on the floor. :(

I was 6, honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

I remember our science teacher telling us that our blood was the colour blue, hence our blue vains. It turns red when it reacts with air and light! How mad is that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Like another poster said, our English teacher also pronounced it "hyper-bowl", and didn't know the difference between bass (as in music) and bass (the fish or the drink).

History teacher kept banging on about the "eye-talians" and couldn't pronounce stuff like Luftwaffe and Blitzkrieg when teaching us about WWII. Wouldn't accept she was wrong either, despite the entire class actually knowing how to speak German.

I mostly remember religious crap in primary school, like a teacher going mental around the time of the Divorce Referendum and trying to drill it into us that DIVORCE IS BAD!!!!! We all had to write a little tick beside the words "Separation" and "Annulment" in our copies, and then a big x beside "Divorce". Odd thing to be telling to 10 and 11 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

alproctor wrote: »
    Pluto is 2300km wide, smaller than the Four Galiliean moons of Jupiter....
    :cool:

"A natural satellite or moon is a celestial body that orbits a planet or smaller body, which is called its primary."

Pluto isn't a planet due to it's core, not it's size.
    johnt91 wrote: »
    Blood is blue, until it touches oxygen.

Pupito wrote: »
    Another teacher told us that she knew of a boy who didn't swallow the communion wafer at mass, but took it out and put it in his pocket. He took it out later and tried to cut it with a knife (yeah, likely) at which point it started bleeding Jesus's blood. And Hasn't Stopped Since!

Heard a few different versions of those stories in school.
    Wossack wrote: »

So there isn't? Damn there go some of my best jokes.... :(

What else do I need to re-learn?

I know (from a biologist) that a lot of what we learn in school about the energy cycle is complete bull - they call it "lies for children".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My son came home from school determined to catch his old Da out:

Him: Dad, which metal is the best conductor?
    Me: Silver
    Him: Wrong, it's copper.
    Me: Who told you that? :eek:
    Him: Our science teacher (and she couldn't possibly be wrong about this ****)
    Me: She's wrong!

And I proceeded to show him in an encyclopaedia. He got into an argument with said science teacher and became known as a smart alec.

My own education wasn't too bad. I don't remember too much that was later shown to be wrong, other than the religious/God stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

prinz wrote: »
    I had a teacher who over the course of a number of years continuously corrected the spelling of my name in Irish

Had the same thing happen with my surname (in English) when I was in Senior Infants. The school secretary would take the roll if a teacher was running late or absent, and one morning took it upon herself to tell me that I couldn't spell my own name. Granted, it is one of those names with a couple of alternate spellings and maybe she'd only seen one variant before but... I was a very stubborn five-year-old who knew damn well that I was spelling it right. She refused to back down though. Pfft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

They didn't fish during the famine because fishing rods hadn't been invented.

Advertisement