Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crysis 3 TBA April 16th?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

The PC fanboys are gas.... they jizz themselves for crysis one and love that its pc exclusive but because crysis 2 was frankly a very so so kind of game BUT happened to be cross platform .... oh it HAD to be the consoles fault! lol, yeah, cause it NEVER happens that a developer can make a good game then a mediocre game next?

Battlefield is very much a PC game and heralded by the PC fanboys as one of the best PC fps games out there....that came out on consoles too but yet magically wasnt ruined by being cross platform.
    Sure the campaign was a side note but what battlefield campaign wasnt.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The thing is Crytek said before Crysis 2 was released that the PC version would ship with DX 11 features. So in that regards it was bad form. I hold nothing against them going multi-platform though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »
    The thing is Crytek said before Crysis 2 was released that the PC version would ship with DX 11 features. So in that regards it was bad form. I hold nothing against them going multi-platform though.
    I know nVidia said it would support DirectX 11 via ads for the GTX 5xx series but I can't remember Crytek explicitly saying it? Anyway, it was definitely known before launch that it would be shipping without it so no one was duped into buying it anyway. :)

My main gripe (apart from the above of course) is that they completely mishandled news of the patch after release. First we had the rumor of the patch, then the denial, then nothing and then finally, a couple of months later, we got it. All that would have been required is an update before launch saying "it's not out at launch, we are currently working with it, it'll be out in a couple of months" and we could have avoided the prolonged guessing game. :(

I remember hearing an interview from Yerli the CEO of Crytek saying they got hammered for saying DX11 would ship with the game at launch. He didn't remember saying that nor could he find the interview where he said it anywhere online. But alot of people got into there heads he said it somewhere and one reputable gaming website claimed the reason he couldn't find the interview is because Crytek took it down after they announced Crysis 2 would not ship at launch. He did say he regretted not being able to ship.

Looking back on Crysis 2 he was pretty honest, saying it did not meet expectations both critically (mid 80's metacritic score) and commerically and it wasn't the true break out title the company was hoping it would be. He said they where rightly flagged on A.I issues with the game but seemed to imply they where fixed in subsequent patches.

Having said that the Crysis series has sold well.
    Crysis over 3 million which is very good for a PC exclusive (thats before the console release)
    Crysis Warhead sold 1.5 million.
    Crysis 2 had sold 3 million by the middle of last year.
    Far Cry incidently sold 2.5 million, although platforms are not mentioned.

Its interesting to note they consider 3 million sales as dissapointing. Wonder what they think is good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

saying it did not meet expectations both critically (mid 80's metacritic score)

It's mad how mid-80's isn't regarded as a good enough rating anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Kiith wrote: »
    It's mad how mid-80's isn't regarded as a good enough rating anymore.

I know! A lot of people, in terms of exams, are delighted to pass certain ones which would be between 40 to 55%!

I remember hearing an interview from Yerli the CEO of Crytek saying they got hammered for saying DX11 would ship with the game at launch. He didn't remember saying that nor could he find the interview where he said it anywhere online. But alot of people got into there heads he said it somewhere and one reputable gaming website claimed the reason he couldn't find the interview is because Crytek took it down after they announced Crysis 2 would not ship at launch. He did say he regretted not being able to ship.
    And as we've all seen, if a news article goes online it can be taken down at a later date with little to no consequences or ways to retrieve it. ;)
    Looking back on Crysis 2 he was pretty honest, saying it did not meet expectations both critically (mid 80's metacritic score) and commerically and it wasn't the true break out title the company was hoping it would be. He said they where rightly flagged on A.I issues with the game but seemed to imply they where fixed in subsequent patches.

Having said that the Crysis series has sold well.
    Crysis over 3 million which is very good for a PC exclusive (thats before the console release)
    Crysis Warhead sold 1.5 million.
    Crysis 2 had sold 3 million by the middle of last year.
    Far Cry incidently sold 2.5 million, although platforms are not mentioned.

Its interesting to note they consider 3 million sales as dissapointing. Wonder what they think is good.
    The point regarding the three million sales is that it took nearly 3 years to reach that figure so the vast bulk of the sales would have been sold at a much lower price point. With a budget of $22m for the entire project, I can see why they'd consider that disappointing. :)

It was a video interview from E3 2010 that contained the statement and was pulled according to hardocp.com. They stressed the point that even though a statement was made before release that the game would not ship with DX11 features, some would of already pre-ordered the game at that point.

They did recoup the costs and make a profit on Crysis, but a well selling PC exclusive is never going sell as well as a multi platform title. It make no sense nowadays being a PC exclusive developer.

It was a video interview from E3 2010 that contained the statement and was pulled according to hardocp.com. They stressed the point that even though a statement was made before release that the game would not ship with DX11 features, some would of already pre-ordered the game at that point.
    Hmm, I'd be shocked if it wasn't picked up on other sites after the video went up. Back in 2010 they probably intended it to be ready on launch but I can imagine they had their hands full ensuring the console version ran smoothly. :o
    They did recoup the costs and make a profit on Crysis, but a well selling PC exclusive is never going sell as well as a multi platform title. It make no sense nowadays being a PC exclusive developer.
    Sad but true unfortunately. That being said, as I've said before, it doesn't mean the PC versions have to suffer because of it. From the reviews of The Witcher 2 on the 360 (Eurogamer have just given it 9/10) it looks like one of the best PC games released in the last while has made a rather successful transition onto the consoles. :)

I think Crytek said their hand was forced by EA in terms of they had to release on a certain date and DX11 simply wasn't ready. If I come across the interview I'll post it, was quite a honest interview.

Actually here it is.
    http://uk.gamespot.com/warface/videos/gamescom-2011-cevat-yerli-crytek-interview-6329186/
    For me as long as the game runs well, is stable and controls well, I'm happy enough with any port if the game is good, although additional enhancements for the PC would be welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Crysis 3 confirmed, set in New York

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-16-crysis-3-confirmed-set-in-new-york-first-story-details

They should of just gone back to the good auld jungle environment tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Headshot wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-16-crysis-3-confirmed-set-in-new-york-first-story-details

I just loved when I opened that link and the first thing that slapped my face: preorder dlc!!!!! FFs we barely know anything about game and there is more info on preorder packs and dlc them game it self. I hate where it is all going...

First thing I noticed was the word "sandbox" which made me :)

As for the pre-order bonuses, it's quite strange that they'd announce them at the same time the game is announced alright. Not really sure what the logic with that one was at all, especially since no one is going to be driven to pre-order the game a year in advance for such thrown away additions. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,098 ✭✭✭✭briany

Headshot wrote: »

The problem with New York city, for me, as a setting is that it's a real place. The islands in Crysis and Far Cry were not real places and what this allowed was for the developers to imprint their own imaginations on the setting. They can create the game world as they see fit. The open plan jungle setting encourages exploration which is enjoyable even if there is little to find, finding alternate routes, increases strategic options and it's also easier to realise all those little interesting nooks and crannys. A lot of that can't happen in a closed in city setting, you can't go into every building and residence and strategic options get greatly reduced in a way that doesn't make combat more challenging but rather more tedious.

I like FPS games, at least ones which encourage exploration of the game world which not many do and ,sadly, the Crysis series seems to be going that way as well.

Seems they are going for a mish mash of the first 2 games. Sounds like its going be more open than the second. As I said before I enjoyed the Crysis series so far so I'm looking forward to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

btw i am lost here a bit, wasnt prophet the big black fella? didnt he died? how can you play him? or protoganist from crysis 2 is now marked as prophet?

if they will do post apocaliptic New york city with sandbox element, then it wil be the coolest thing ever. i would love to be George of the jungle in sky skrapers covered in vegetation.

btw i am lost here a bit, wasnt prophet the big black fella? didnt he died? how can you play him? or protoganist from crysis 2 is now marked as prophet?

if they will do post apocaliptic New york city with sandbox element, then it wil be the coolest thing ever. i would love to be George of the jungle in sky skrapers covered in vegetation.
    I strongly suggest you check out Enslaved on that underused console of yours. :D

Well it could be a prequel to Crysis 2, about what Prophet was doing in New York leading into Crysis 2.

More likely it will carry on from Crysis 2's ending, where it appeared Prophets personality had taken over Alcatraz's body.
    They story line from Crysis 2 established the Nano suit was actually built from the aliens technology which Hargreaves had discovered many years earlier. It also established that the suit froms a symbotic conenction to the person where the suit and after Prophet killed himself the suit stored his personaility and eventually overwrote the fatally wounded Alcatrazs personaility. Hence at the end of the game he speaks as Prophet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Origin and tons of pre-order multiplayer day 1 DLC confirmed. This'll be getting a day 1 pirate and maybe a buy further down the line, although if it turns out to be as consolized as Crysis 2 was, it'll probably be neither. Crysis 2 was crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

ending for crysis 2 the last lines are: *they call me prophet*

I enjoyed Crysis 1, warhead & 2 I think as a series it has a feel all to itself that they are developing with each title passing.

So I look forward to 3.

I say the pre-order announcements are early because They dont want a sudden backlash close to release like what happened with ME3

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I say the pre-order announcements are early because They dont want a sudden backlash close to release like what happened with ME3

They just want to get the blatant moneygrubbing out of the way first. Another franchise with potential being flogged by EA. The new SimCity, something I've been looking forward to for years, is going down the same route with all of this stupid "digital deluxe edition" nonsense with 'city packs' being offered as day one DLC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

They just want to get the blatant moneygrubbing out of the way first. Another franchise with potential being flogged by EA. The new SimCity, something I've been looking forward to for years, is going down the same route with all of this stupid "digital deluxe edition" nonsense with 'city packs' being offered as day one DLC.

Suppose they have to look at other revenue options when a substantial minority of gamers feel entitled to a free day one pirated copies.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Suppose they have to look at other revenue options when a substantial minority of gamers feel entitled to a free day one pirated copies.

Why is this the latest buzzword people are throwing around lately?

Yea, Crytek/EA really should know better by now. I mean last time they released a Crysis game which wasn't locked to a particular digital download service, had no intrusive DRM, no day one locked content, DLC or pre-order bonuses and which really gave gamers expensive rigs a run for their money, gamers flocked to buy it on day one, rewarding both developer and publisher for their investment and showing that gamers will support this type of pro-consumer behaviour!

Oh, wait...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Why is this the latest buzzword people are throwing around lately?

Nice sidestep.

Anyway enjoy Crysis 3, I am sure it will conveniently turn out to be just good enough you download and spend 10 or so hours playing but too consolized and crap actually buy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

much as I ****ing hate all this day 1/pre order dlc and drm bull****, gamers have no one to blame but other gamers (and probably themselves).
    except maybe ubisoft and their always on internet drm, i dont care if gamers are firebombing ubisoft employees houses, that **** just isn't justifiable.

gizmo wrote: »
    Yea, Crytek/EA really should know better by now. I mean last time they released a Crysis game which wasn't locked to a particular digital download service, had no intrusive DRM, no day one locked content, DLC or pre-order bonuses and which really gave gamers expensive rigs a run for their money, gamers flocked to buy it on day one, rewarding both developer and publisher for their investment and showing that gamers will support this type of pro-consumer behaviour!

Oh, wait...

But... Crysis 2 did have pre-order DLC bonuses and was pulled from Steam entirely in favour of being placed on Origin, a much worse form of digital distribution and DRM. Also, citing the game as being a good benchmarking tool as a positive feature that people should have purchased the game for is grasping at straws, especially since DX11 support wasn't even offered day 1.
    marco_polo wrote: »
    Nice sidestep.

Anyway enjoy Crysis 3, I am sure it will conveniently turn out to be just good enough you download and spend 10 or so hours playing but too consolized and crap actually buy.

I'm not sidestepping anything, it really is just a stupid buzzword that's being thrown around way too much lately. I don't think I know a single person who thinks they feel 'entitled' to pirate any of the games they actually do. If there isn't a demo released, I probably will give it a quick pirate and play for an hour or two to form in own informed opinion of the game instead of mindlessly lambasting it. Also, I think you're also being a bit too generous with the 10 hours, I only needed to play Crysis 2 for less than an hour to realize it was severely consolized. I completed it in even less. Such is the trend with a lot of triple A titles these days.
    much as I ****ing hate all this day 1/pre order dlc and drm bull****, gamers have no one to blame but other gamers (and probably themselves).
    except maybe ubisoft and their always on internet drm, i dont care if gamers are firebombing ubisoft employees houses, that **** just isn't justifiable.

So on one hand you're saying that gamers have nobody to blame but themselves for the recent moneygrubbing practices from publishers with all of this day 1 DLC nonsense, then on the other hand, you're saying that when one publisher in particular steps over the line, it's perfectly justifiable. I like the logic used there. Have you ever stopped to think that Ubisoft isn't the only publisher whose **** people are sick of putting up with?

But... Crysis 2 did have pre-order DLC bonuses and was pulled from Steam entirely in favour of being placed on Origin, a much worse form of digital distribution and DRM. Also, citing the game as being a good benchmarking tool as a positive feature that people should have purchased the game for is grasping at straws, especially since DX11 support wasn't even offered day 1.
    I was talking about the first Crysis.

The one that sold as many copies in three years as Crysis 2 sold in three months.

gizmo wrote: »
    I was talking about the first Crysis.

The one that sold as many copies in three years as Crysis 2 sold in three months.

There's way too many variables to take into account. Just some of those are the fact that it was released in 2007, high-spec games were very expensive to run essentially making it a niche title itself because of this and that it wasn't a multiplatform release dumbed down to cater to consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

So on one hand you're saying that gamers have nobody to blame but themselves for the recent moneygrubbing practices from publishers with all of this day 1 DLC nonsense, then on the other hand, you're saying that when one publisher in particular steps over the line, it's perfectly justifiable. I like the logic used there. Have you ever stopped to think that Ubisoft isn't the only publisher whose **** people are sick of putting up with?

no, what i said was ubisofts response wasn't justifiable, not that piracy in response to ****ty drm is. if you are sick of putting up a particular publishers ****, dont buy games they publish. you are not entitled to play their games.

Advertisement