Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legend of Dragoon coming to PSN

Options
  • 12-04-2012 12:33am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So it seems Legend of Dragoon is coming to PSN next month, or LoD.

What does LoD stand for, I'll tell you. It stands for 'Don't fucking buy it!'. You'll hear a lot of morons talking about how it is a classic. It is in fact up there with shadow madness and beyond the beyond as the worst of the worst JRPGs ever made.

Consider this a warning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

"I still occasionally hear from fans of The Legend of Dragoon, and many want to know if there is a sequel. LOD2 was put into preproduction after I left the Japan Studio, but was eventually cancelled for some unknown reason, and the team members moved on to different projects. Some people still work in the Japan Studio, so we talk about the memories of developing LOD when we see each other at company functions."

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/11/the-legend-of-dragoon-coming-to-psn-rpg-classic-reborn-may-1st/

There was almost a sequel, pity it was cancelled. I'm a self proclaimed LoD fanboy.

People should give it a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retro gives out about it so much that I'm temted to check it out to see what all the fuss is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Its a very stereotypical RPG, and while it has its flaws, it no way deserves the hammering Retr0 gives it :)

Don't get me wrong, there are many many better games you could play instead of this but its not the creamy pile of poo Retr0 keeps saying.

I've played it more than once (never beaten it, but will someday) and its simplicity is almost endearing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember loving it when i played it first. Might check it out, and see if it's really as bad as Retro says :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    I remember loving it when i played it first. Might check it out, and see if it's really as bad as Retro says :P

It is.

It's not an unplayable mess but it does distill everything that is wrong with JRPGs into one game. There's no game breaking bugs, it's just so cliche and boring that it's soul destroying. It was a game so bad that it made me disinterested in games afterwards until Metroid Prime came around. Also for a game that has a plot that basically a poor episode of Power Rangers it's mind bogglingly long. To top it off it's got the slowest and worst battle system of any RPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

One of my few guilty pleasures on this site is seeing Retr0 talk about LoD. No disrespect Retr0, but I always get a good laugh at how much you despise this game. Does usually make me look at my own standards but after that I'm content to be easily impressed.

I can only imagine the rage if that sequel had been released :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't worry, the guys on the arcade and retro forum constantly wind me up about it to hear me go off on one about it :)

Then I made them play it and now they understand. My girlfriend likes laughing at crappy games and really wanted to play it. She played it for about 2 hours and told me she never wants to see the game ever again :) Doesn't stop them winding me up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This was my very first RPG. I think I'll end up buying it. I remember being quite foid of it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I think I played a demo. You could get nekkid in it.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I think I played a demo. You could get nekkid in it.

Nope, you couldn't. And even if you could hte blockiness of the graphics would not have been exactly erotic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I found it a grind trying to level up,all my characters were under level 40 going into the final boss,also I read on gameinformer there was a rebalanced version because american gamers found it too hard.

You have to love Legend of Dragoon fans. One of them left a comment today on a blog post I made about the game ages ago:

'fag :) LOD is the best rpg of its time, maybe second to FFVII'

Not really making a good case for it, just like the rest of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Really?

I had loads of fun with LoD

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Really?

I had loads of fun with LoD

Even my hyperbole doesn't do this game justice. Ask yourself what age you were when you played it and then remember the crap like power rangers that you thought was the height of entertainment at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hey! Insult LOD all you want, but leave Power Ranger out of this...or i'll set Bulk and Skull on you :pac:

Kiith wrote: »
    Hey! Insult LOD all you want, but leave Power Ranger out of this...or i'll set Bulk and Skull on you :pac:

Bulk and Skull, the only good things about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Even my hyperbole doesn't do this game justice. Ask yourself what age you were when you played it and then remember the crap like power rangers that you thought was the height of entertainment at the time.

:D

Retr0gamer wrote: »

1 year ago at 17 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Just checked out a Youtube video of it and the graphics really remind me of FFVII - I'm kind of tempted to try it now, just to see if it really is that bad. I think this thread may be having the opposite of the intended effect for some people ;)

One of the worst jrpgs I ever played was The Granstream Saga (the characters had no faces!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

This was one of the few games I always wanted to play when I was younger. Friend had it for a while and I would watch him play it, but I never managed to get a copy myself.

• Advertisement

To me the graphics look like Runescape. The pre-rendered backdrops are amazing but the characters look so half-assed.

Game looked terrible when I played it. The backgrounds were pretty, especially the water effects which did look amazing. They were a bit cluttered though, you really want to leave the field indicators if you are unfortunate enough to play this one. The character models and battle engine graphics are god awful though. Remember this game was released in 2000. By that time we were getting games like MGS, FFVIII, Chrono Cross, G-Darius etc. on the PS1. This game on the other hand looked on par with FFVII, from 1997, except the framerate is even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

elekid wrote: »
    One of the worst jrpgs I ever played was The Granstream Saga (the characters had no faces!!)

I vaguely remember that. Think I gave it about 3 or 4 hours and never went back. And in the days of the PSX where I'd play any old tripe that really is saying something!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Ridley

Laviiiiitz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

elekid wrote: »

I was addicted to a demo of that... Must go back to see if the actual game was awful...!

It got a good write up on HG101. It does look atrocious though.

One thing that really annoyed me about LoD though
    Was when they ditched Shana and replaced her with a really unlikable character (Miranda)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,857 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think a poll might help this thread. Would it be worth buying?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This guy on gamefaqs seem to think not.

"What is crap when you're already sitting in a pool of it?"

"This room is tidy. This shows a lot about this person's personality."
    Dart, a strapping spiky-haired teenage male of main character cliches, was standing in a small, dainty room when this box of text vomited out of his mouth. I knew it was my fault for pressing X at every dresser in a room - it is the job of an RPG-completionist - but I was already drenched in the verbal diarrhea spewing from this self-proclaimed legend. Clumps of invisible slime, composed of watered-down music, constipated battle systems, and stomach-churning dialogue, had already slithered down my skin and onto the curved, porcelain, oversized toilet bowl. I wanted to get out, but either more diarrhea came slopping down on my head or I was forced to backtrack through the slush. No matter how much I hoped that my journey would end, The Legend of Dragoon kept crapping. So I decided to sit down and wait until it was done.

And so on

• Advertisement

I think a poll might help this thread. Would it be worth buying?

Do you enjoy boredom?

Best review I've seen of the game:

http://thegia.psy-q.ch/sites/www.thegia.com/psx/lod/lod.html

Advertisement