Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Posy wrote: »
    Why can't it be Sunday for 2 days? :(

Ooh I don't like Sunday, there's always way too much work that I forgot to do that I have to get done then! :P

Sorry to hear about your loss Mars. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Posy wrote: »
    Why can't it be Sunday for 2 days? :(

Oh i'm not a fan of Sundays. Saturday is my fav day. I'd like two of them a week please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

or just let everyone have two midweek days off, I'm off wednesday this week and its a great day to have off, in for 2 days, off then back thursday and then its the weekend again, breaks up the week nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Kiera wrote: »
    Oh i'm not a fan of Sundays. Saturday is my fav day. I'd like two of them a week please :)
    I still get shivers thinking of that horrible moment on Sunday night when the Glenroe theme tune comes on, and I haven't my homework finished...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

What a night! Last weekend of being behaved. This weekend is going to be crazy. Edinburagh, let's be havin ye.

I still get shivers thinking of that horrible moment on Sunday night when the Glenroe theme tune comes on, and I haven't my homework finished...

ha the terror that only Irish children know, 9pm on sundays, judgement hour. Did anyone else ever do that thing where Glenroe would end but your parents didnt realise the time and hadnt sent you to bed, so you'd just sit on the couch as silently as possible until they noticed you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Dentists are liars!

Also have to go back on SATURDAY NIGHT. What kind of crazy country is this.

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Dentists are liars!

that sucks! crazy ass Indians and their lack of weekend etiquette

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Dentists are liars!

krudler wrote: »
    that sucks! crazy ass Indians and their lack of weekend etiquette

Well I can recommend the Nitrous Oxide for a nice drunky feeling. So Suzie you could feel like you were in a club listening to house music and blowing a whistle. Or maybe that was just me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Booked a gym assessment thingy for this morning, completely forgetting I had gig tickets last night. V hungover and may fall off crosstrainer. But it's far too short notice to cancel. Ugh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Don't think there's any nitrous oxide on offer... today he even tried to start drilling without giving me an injection or any sort of anesthetic. In true Irish style, I demanded dem drugs.

Also the dental surgery has 2 dentists chairs side-by-side and 2 dentists working at the same time, so not only is there another patient in the room but there's also their mother, sister, brother, uncle and several small children, ALL STARING AT THE WHITE WOMAN. Dear jaysus.

Don't think there's any nitrous oxide on offer... today he even tried to start drilling without giving me an injection or any sort of anesthetic. In true Irish style, I demanded dem drugs.

"okay the anesthetic should be working now *tries to take out my tooth*"
    "OWWWWW"
    "oh does that hurt? are you sure it's pain and not just..."
    "YES I KNOW IT HURTS"
    "huh okay more anesthetic then..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

This dentist talk is timely. Have to get a filling replaced in the morning. At least I know this time, last time the (other) dentist injected anaesthetic without even mentioning it, or the fact I needed a filling :eek::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

This dentist talk is timely. Have to get a filling replaced in the morning. At least I know this time, last time the (other) dentist injected anaesthetic without even mentioning it, or the fact I needed a filling :eek::mad:

Kinda similar thing happened to me thought I was getting one filling but got two. I'd much prefer it that way, I have less time to panic about it if I only find out a few minutes before it happens.

never had a filling or anythin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Leinster Rugby broke me... I feel like I played the shaggin' match. What a weekend, though!

Why the hell didn't I take today off work???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Can't wait to get out for a run in that weather after work.

It's defo the weather to get out and get fit.

Trying to get through the large classes module it's really long and I'm not getting it:( 8 days left and three more certs to get I don't know if it'll happen.

A big dirty bluebottle is going around the room now annoying the crap out of me.

• Advertisement

It's defo the weather to get out and get fit.

in the sunshine? :eek: not a chance

*hides indoors*

bluewolf wrote: »
    in the sunshine? :eek: not a chance

*hides indoors*

But you need your vitamin D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I so want to spend time outside in the lovely sunshine this week but I'll exhaust walking in the woods with the dog pretty quickly, especially as the lead will inevitably hit off my burn. God I wish we had a nice garden to hang out in, we just have a lump of field-like stuff with holes in it.

But you need your vitamin D.

*hisses and closes the blinds*

*hisses and closes the blinds*

But but but...... The sun makes everyone happy :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

There is no sunshine in Cork. We're back to status quo of drizzle.... makes it slightly easier to make myself study though.

I had a proper academic chat with boybestie last night and re-discovered my love for theatre. I lost it, mostly, studying drama and theatre studies in first year, and dropped out with a hatred for the thing that I'd loved for over 10 years. Having our discussion over the pros and cons of theatre and film as mediums, I found myself getting really enthusiastic and heated, like I haven't in ages. It was really nice to talk about the things that both of us have studied indepth and be able to have a proper discussion and not have it end like the discussions we have about economics (with 5 years of study behind me, him with none telling me I'm wrong normally winds up with me wanting to strangle him), it was fabulous.

Right. Good mood this week, it will counterbalance last week.

Meeting the lecturer from Tuesday's exam today at 1 to discuss mitigation; though I'm a lot calmer now I do have a doctors letter proving the absolute state I was in. Hopefully she'll be nice about it.

• Advertisement

If I'm on my holidays and lathered in factor 50000 and don't have to do anything, sure, it's grand
    rest of the time, pf
    and don't be talkin to me about exercising in it! i'd rather run in wind and rain

Orla K wrote: »
    Trying to get through the large classes module it's really long and I'm not getting it:( 8 days left and three more certs to get I don't know if it'll happen.

A big dirty bluebottle is going around the room now annoying the crap out of me.

Is it the i-to-i course? Once you do the checkpoint for that module, go straight onto the next module and get the quiz and checkpoint done while you're waiting for the checkpoint to be corrected, that'll save time (if it takes 48 hours to give you feedback)

Best of luck.

I have to ask people (academic people!) to be referees on my post grad application. "um, hi, I was in your class and you gave me good grades plz plz vouch for me if they ring you, kthxbye".

I guess this is why some of my class-mates were constantly talking to lecturers and asking a million questions... so that they'd KNOW THEM! :(

not me, blah, winter days ftw. sunny days are perfect cinema going weather :pac: nobody there most of the time if you go on a hot day. Can't wait for the autumn to roll around again, love around Halloween when the leaves are falling and it starts to get dark early again

If I'm on my holidays and lathered in factor 50000 and don't have to do anything, sure, it's grand
    rest of the time, pf
    and don't be talkin to me about exercising in it! i'd rather run in wind and rain

You're like a real life vampire :eek:

• Advertisement

it's even funnier that my mother is out in the sunshine every chance she gets and is brown brown
    :D
    she thinks i'm strange
    I have to ask people (academic people!) to be referees on my post grad application. "um, hi, I was in your class and you gave me good grades plz plz vouch for me if they ring you, kthxbye".

I guess this is why some of my class-mates were constantly talking to lecturers and asking a million questions... so that they'd KNOW THEM! :(

I got lucky enough I was in a very small class by the end of 4th year and we had the same guy for half the lectures so they knew us well enough
    especially towards the end of the year when aforementioned guy found out my age - I sure wasn't forgettable then :D
    plus they all had an open door policy so we were always dropping in on them to ask stuff

when i sat some lectures for my msc in trinity though, lord god
    they werent interested at all except one guy who used to yell why dont you people speak up how are you going to get references if we dont know you
    hated that place

Is it the i-to-i course? Once you do the checkpoint for that module, go straight onto the next module and get the quiz and checkpoint done while you're waiting for the checkpoint to be corrected, that'll save time (if it takes 48 hours to give you feedback)

Best of luck.

Yeah, that's what I'm doing but my head is starting to melt with the information, I'm finding it difficult to focus. So far they seem to be pretty quick with the correcting/feedback within the hour.

Orla K wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I'm doing but my head is starting to melt with the information, I'm finding it difficult to focus. So far they seem to be pretty quick with the correcting/feedback within the hour.
    If you are really stuck, they give you the chance for a one month or three month extension for more money...

I wonder is there an opposite of that SAD thing where people get depressed in the summer months, cos I definitely have it :pac: feel more content during dull wintery days for some reason.

winter's great because you can put on a nice fire and sit in and you don't have the birds singing at fcuking 4am, or it's not still bright at 930pm when you are tired and want to sleep

If you are really stuck, they give you the chance for a one month or three month extension for more money...

Yeah but then I'd have to give then more money!
    I'm mainly just distracting myself here

winter's great because you can put on a nice fire and sit in and you don't have the birds singing at fcuking 4am, or it's not still bright at 930pm when you are tired and want to sleep

indeed, I was out saturday night, got home around 3.30, had some tea and toast, went to bed after 4.30 ish and the birds were singing and it was starting to get bright, its the middle of the night! I love, looooove being off on winter days when its pissing rain and you've no reason to leave the house, when its sunny you feel guilty for having a lazy day, maybe I should move to that place in Alaska that has night time that lasts weeks :pac:

Yeah I get sad when it's bright til 10pm, I want it to be dark so I can sit inside guilt free! When the weather is fine my mom will often garden from 7am til 11pm, she gets great exercise, a fab tan and a pretty garden, I want to be like her now, I'm a bit of the way there, I have about 7 plants! :):p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I find i've more energy in the winter - summer heat makes me lethargic :pac:

That said, our long summer evenings are glorious and i wouldn't trade em for the world :P

indeed, I was out saturday night, got home around 3.30, had some tea and toast, went to bed after 4.30 ish and the birds were singing and it was starting to get bright, its the middle of the night! I love, looooove being off on winter days when its pissing rain and you've no reason to leave the house, when its sunny you feel guilty for having a lazy day, maybe I should move to that place in Alaska that has night time that lasts weeks :pac:

This is what I loved about Canada, when I was wrecked after work on a sunny day it was ok to go to bed and close the curtains and watch tv, because I knew it'd be sunny for the next few months! Here when it's sunny you think "Shite, today is the ENTIRE summer, I better go outside...."

• Advertisement

it's even funnier that my mother is out in the sunshine every chance she gets and is brown brown
    :D
    she thinks i'm strange
    I'm with your mother on this one. You are strange :P
    I wonder is there an opposite of that SAD thing where people get depressed in the summer months, cos I definitely have it :pac: feel more content during dull wintery days for some reason.

It's just called being sad :P

I got lucky enough I was in a very small class by the end of 4th year and we had the same guy for half the lectures so they knew us well enough
    especially towards the end of the year when aforementioned guy found out my age - I sure wasn't forgettable then :D
    plus they all had an open door policy so we were always dropping in on them to ask stuff

when i sat some lectures for my msc in trinity though, lord god
    they werent interested at all except one guy who used to yell why dont you people speak up how are you going to get references if we dont know you
    hated that place

The one lecturer who would have known me well enough has since fecked off to become head of department in another Uni. I'd feel a bit weird emailing him out of the blue, as it's been a year since I was in his class. Did pretty well in his class, and I was in his seminar class so I'd have seen him (nearly) every week for the year. I've only since realised that he's extremely well accomplished (hence head of department!) and I don't even know if he'd remember me.

Then there's the teacher from first year who'd have known us all pretty well because it was a small class. Did very well in that class, but it's like three years ago... "ohai remember me? the one who did well but didn't bother taking on your subject in second year? yeah can you be a referee pleaseandthankyou?"

This is unchartered territory here lads. It's the whole "do I not ask and leave it too late to even apply?" or "do I ask and look like an idiot because none of these people know me well enough?" dilemma. Yeah. I know the answer :o

email the guy sure even if he's in another uni now

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

I feel better than I did this morning. :)

I have cake! One of the little girls brought in some of her big sisters communion cake to me! How sweet! :D

I love this child. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just got my tickets to next year's Heineken Cup final, boo ya!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Acoshla wrote: »
    Yeah I get sad when it's bright til 10pm, I want it to be dark so I can sit inside guilt free!
    I find it weird, going to work at 9am and it's bright and coming home at 10pm and it's still bright. Confuses me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Me too Honey-ec :)

Still in London here, about to head off for an afternoon's shopping, flight isn't until 9.20pm. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I feel sadder in the summer months too. Maybe it's from being separated from friends. Also most of the ****ty things that happened in my childhood happened in summer months. That could be it equally.

Funny thing is, when we went on honeymoon to Iceland, it never got dark at all, but there was something so energising about the light up there. And the earth too, you can nearly feel the thrum of it in your bones. Such an amazing place. (At least once a month I go on about Iceland on here!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I had to email a lecturer saying 'Hi... Can I have a reference for another post grad course please?' about 5 years after I'd left college! :o
    He still remembered me though, phew!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I didn't know any of my lecturers in my old course. I wanted to do the free-grinds thing a few years back with my strong subjects but we needed a lecturer to back us first - I'd none i could ask. Luckily my new course is much much smaller and everyone knows everyone else, students and staff alike. Makes not graduating till I'm 24 almost bearable :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement