Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Comments

So last night, while slightly inebriated, I thought it would be a good idea to jump from a bench to try and touch the moon, but fell wrong and now my foot is sore and slightly swollen. It was a good effort though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

sarahbro wrote: »
    Ok so actually having the ring has changed everything - including our plans!
    He's asking my dad tomorrow and then it'll all happen :D
    So excited, happy and nervous! Hope my dad flies through his round of golf tomorrow!! :D

Even before I'd turned into a wedding Grinch, I never got this sort of mindset!

Surely it's between you and him, not him and your dad?

And it's a joint decision like, what's the big deal in him "asking" you? I mean, the decision is made, you've clearly discussed it between ye, and both want to get married ... so why the big song and dance about where and when he asks?! It's not like he's asking ... more, just, confirming?

I'm not trying to throw a downer on it, I just honestly don't understand this! :o

Maybe I am just a wedding Grinch. :o Sorry!

i don't get it either but sure at a time like this if it makes them happy off they go, best of luck to them! we're all different! :)
    i suppose him "asking" her gives them a "moment" to look back on

tomorrow i am going to transpose my song, do my german homework, sing, cello, and dye my hair again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Little fella on BGT singing Listen from Dream Girls.... n'awwwwww :)

Lola92 wrote: »

bless him doing it again despite the nerves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Lola92 wrote: »
    Soooooooo sweet <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

He should've picked a song he wouldn't cry through, ugh, stupid over emotional crap, I miss normal tv before they wanted everyone to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

So last night, while slightly inebriated, I thought it would be a good idea to jump from a bench to try and touch the moon, but fell wrong and now my foot is sore and slightly swollen. It was a good effort though.

last week i got so drunk i had to be taken home at 12...woke up at 3 in the morning in my wardrobe convinced it was my bed
    so i got up and went to bed...i somehow managed to destroy my laundry basket and cut myself open
    i still have a 4 inch cut on my left arm, a 2 inch cut on my right shoulder, a tiny cut on my boob, a bruised ass and bruised legs...they still havent gone away! :o

also waynes world is on e4! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

aahhh exam & work stuff, nothing like when ALL of it happens at once and you're too unfocussed to do anything apart from imagine the day you get a PFO from college and a PFO from work all at once

Teen Witch on Netflix though. My my my it is cringey fabulousness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

There has been a lot of drama in here today, hugs to all.

Hope you are All doing in.

Felling a little run down do spent the yesterday and today chilling. Read 3 books, I read fallen yesterday and read torment and passion today. My eyesight has gone a bit blury from reading do much. I may as well expect a killer migraine tomorrow. Enjoyed the books easy to read, will get rapture when it's released. Must go rest my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I have far, far too much to do in too short a time period. Here comes The Fear! :( Thinking of going to bed soon and getting up early instead of continuing to study for too long now, my brain is getting mushy.

I think I'll wake up with the fear tomorrow. I only figured out today that my placement only makes up for 15 % the total end of year mark. I got a bit too cocky with my good marks I got in them. Now I'm a bit :eek: about the exams. I kinda have to do well in them.

So hopefully the fear will decide to show itself tomorrow and I'll actually get some proper study done. :cool:

Best of luck Sarahbro. Hope all the celebrations go well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

bwahahaha :D Oh my lord the cringing!! and the high-cut bodies on the supposed 16 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

The Avengers is a great movie,definitely recommend it.Full of hilarious moments and one liners.

Have had a terribly unproductive day, nothing but tea and internet. Hopefully it'll mean I won't be burnt out for study tomorrow.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Ok so actually having the ring has changed everything - including our plans!
    He's asking my dad tomorrow and then it'll all happen :D
    So excited, happy and nervous! Hope my dad flies through his round of golf tomorrow!! :D
    Aaaahhh that's lovely :) Congrats and best of luck with your dad, I really like that! I'm sure he'll be as happy :)

• Advertisement

Today I:

Painted my nails bright blue
    Planted flowers
    Ate chocolate cake
    Had a lovely dinner made for me
    Got snuggles and giggles from a cute baby
    Sat on my ass and watched fun tv with great people
    Threw a ball around a gorgeous sunny huge garden with 3 dogs
    Am having a glass of wine and going to watch movies with my lovely boyfriend

A good day by all accounts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Chatterpillar and bluewolf
    i know it's a bit weird but he wants to ask dad and i know my dad isn't old fashioned but i think he'll appreciate it. and although we've decided it's happening together and got the ring together i think him proposing is his thing if that makes sense? Like we've done everything together so far?
    I dunno. I don't care.
    I just wanna be his fiancee :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Even before I'd turned into a wedding Grinch, I never got this sort of mindset!

Surely it's between you and him, not him and your dad?

And it's a joint decision like, what's the big deal in him "asking" you? I mean, the decision is made, you've clearly discussed it between ye, and both want to get married ... so why the big song and dance about where and when he asks?! It's not like he's asking ... more, just, confirming?

I'm not trying to throw a downer on it, I just honestly don't understand this! :o

Maybe I am just a wedding Grinch. :o Sorry!

We knew we were going to get married at some stage after less than a year going out. It didn't actually happen for another 8 years. We got the ring together and he wanted to ask me properly, do a proper proposal.

Even though it was a forgone conclusion, he was still a bag of nerves and it was still toe-tinglingly romantic.

If he asked my Dad though... yeah I don't think we'd be married now because it would mean that he doesn't know me at all!

Chatterpillar and bluewolf
    i know it's a bit weird but he wants to ask dad and i know my dad isn't old fashioned but i think he'll appreciate it. and although we've decided it's happening together and got the ring together i think him proposing is his thing if that makes sense? Like we've done everything together so far?
    I dunno. I don't care.
    I just wanna be his fiancee :D

We didn't have to ask anyone for permission but we had to tell my mom we were engaged so that she'd give us my engagement ring, that was terrifying, I actually ran out of the room and left my poor boyfriend to explain to her. He got as far as "So me and Acoshla have been talking...." and she sussed what was happening :p

I would never want him to ask my Dad (or more likely my Mom in my case), and when she did hand over the ring he just handed it to me and I put it on, to us we were already engaged from the minute it was agreed on so didn't do any "big/real" proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

My da always said that if anyone ever asks him can they marry me that he'll be making sure they know I come with debts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Feeling really down tonight. :( It’s a mixture of a few things but what is getting to me most is my friends not really acting like friends atm. And I really need them right now. I’ve been trying so hard to be positive and keep busy lately but it’s no use really because in the end I just end up feeling really drained.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Hugs Mollikins.

I'm really down this evening for some reason too. I'm tired and just feeling sorry for myself. I've spent 15 hours on buses this week for 24 hours of work.
    Got back to Galway tonight and I want to go out and yet don't want to go out at the same time.

For some reason being single is getting me down more than usual at the moment. I just want someone to spend the night with, watching DVDs and snuggling. :(:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Anyone who's feeling down - have some ice cream. Ice cream makes EVERYTHING better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hugs Mollikins. xx

I'm having a fun evening. Neighbours are playing really loud eurodance crap so I have taken to the wine. All the males of the household are in bed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Anyone who's feeling down - have some ice cream. Ice cream makes EVERYTHING better.

I think I should start keeping emergency ice cream in my freezer for nights like tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Good luck tomorrow sarahbro!

With regard to the asking the asking dad thing for me it'd be really important :o
    Me and my dad have a really close relationship and I just want him to feel involved I suppose. I see it as my OH showing him how much he respects him. My dad's a great man, who has done everything for me (including giving up an amazing job working abroad cause he was afraid he was missing too much of my childhood). He really was the man in my life before my boyfriend and I know he'll be upset when I get married- I'm the youngest daughter and very much a daddys girl :o

I get why others don't see it as important though, it's just not like that for me. To each their own and all that :)

Hugs Mollikins and Daisies and anyone else who is needing the hugs xx
    Daisies wrote: »
    I think I should start keeping emergency ice cream in my freezer for nights like tonight!

I've tried that- you'd be suprised what suddenly qualifies as an emergency when there's icecream nearby :p

Rebel Girl i know today was rough i hope you are ok! xx

Mollikins hope you feel better its just one of those days! :) xx

hugs to you both and to everyone else that needs one!

i realised i did not leave the house ALL DAY.....ill go for a walk tomorrow ill be good :) need to clear my head anyway!

I spoke too soon about my lovely day, just settling down to watch a movie and boyfriend got called into work, sigh.

Bubblefett it's funny how people differ isn't it, my Dad is coming to my wedding but not walking me down the aisle, he'll just be sitting up the front with my mother, wonder how many people will talk about it on the day! :p

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Re: asking permission of parents on engagement. My mother let slip that she assumes that my bloke will be asking her before he even asks me. Err...Not.A.Hope :D

Her idea of keeping a secret is saying to everyone else in the family/extended family/neighbours/randomers in the street: "Well, don't let on that you know anything but Neyite's boyfriend ...." :rolleyes:

I love my mammy, but jeez, ya dont ever tell her stuff. Dad would never have said a word, but he's not around, so I guess if it ever happens, I will be the first to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Ah I think it's nice to ask permission. My daddy had such a huge part in raising me so it's important to me having him in all my big life moments :)

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Ah I think it's nice to ask permission. My daddy had such a huge part in raising me so it's important to me having him in all my big life moments :)

But that's just it though, it's nice to ask permission all depending on the relationship you have with your Dad. I have a Dad, he loves me, we get on great, etc but that still doesn't mean I want him giving permission to someone to marry me, he doesn't have a right to, he didn't raise me, my mother did. But then other people like yourself have fathers who have always been there for them and have earned the respect to be considered in that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

If my boyfriend had asked my Dad's permission, I think he might have laughed in his face! 'It's not me you need to ask, it's her ya eejit!' :D

One of my cats had been missing for over 24 hours, so I went around the estate calling her and eventually heard her crying from the neighbour's garage. Silly kitty had gone snooping and got herself trapped :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

OH MY GOD!!!!
    So freaking cute :eek: I want one of these :(

Acoshla wrote: »
    But that's just it though, it's nice to ask permission all depending on the relationship you have with your Dad. I have a Dad, he loves me, we get on great, etc but that still doesn't mean I want him giving permission to someone to marry me, he doesn't have a right to, he didn't raise me, my mother did. But then other people like yourself have fathers who have always been there for them and have earned the respect to be considered in that sort of thing.

Sure that's what makes everyones weddings different- the traditions you follow/don't follow/apply to you/don't apply :)
    I think it's brilliant your dad isn't walking you down the aisle, why do something that you're not happy with?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks girls, feeling a bit better about the whole thing, hearse didn't come out to the church till about 10.50 or 11. Guard of honour went very well, funeral mass tomorrow will be hard again, but there is a good gang of us to mind each other, which is fantastic.

Have to get my head back into my college work tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Had house to myself most of day so was planning to get heaps of work done but nope!
    Arghh!!
    gonna be up ages now!

Friend should have rung or text me, he always does. when he's back in capital he's fogetting about me it seems and when he home, he remembers me. we were both there last year. I think i am losing him!
    and thats a thought i hate to even slightly think.
    cant even say anything because i am a paranoid freak and over reacted with him before when he'd genuine excuse and i felt so bad but we were grand since.

dreamt about ex last night, we got together again and i was so happy. i cant stop thinking about him at night befroe i go to sleep. its only time i do but i nearly purposely do, put scenarios of seeing him in my head. nearly a ritual now!
    I know its not good for me at all!! he barely enters my head during day.
    then i saw an old page of his from network site today, he's not been near it in 2 years but somehow it annoyed me. i didnt know him then but i guess seeing him how he was then irritated me.
    but at same time stupidly enough, if i got a call from him tomorro id go running back like an idiot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Baby sitting my best friends very snotty and miserable child today but she's still the cutest thing ever! :D
    She's usually always on the go but today, the first time I minded her on my own, she sat beside me on the couch and we watched Happy Feet! She's just over one years old so to have her sit down for so long is an achievement although I suspect the nasty cold she has is the reason for it rather than wanting to cuddle up to me.
    It was nice to know that she wasn't scared because mammy and daddy weren't around for a while and that she was comfortable with it just being me with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Mollikins

Thanks ladies. :)

Doing some seriously deep thinking at 5am probably isn't the best idea I've had recently. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

If my OH asked my fathers permission to marry me he'd be laughed out of it and I reckon he'd lose a lot of respect. My father would tell him to go and talk to ME, it has nothing to do with him ffs. I'm a grown woman and my decisions are my own, I'm old enough I don't need parental permission to do things.

Sarahbro - out of interest, if he asked your father and your father said no (hypothetically speaking), does that mean you wouldn't get engaged? If not, then what's the point? I genuinely don't understand this tradition.

Why does the mother never get a say btw? If you're getting one parent's "permission" then why not get the other ones too? I don't have time for this patriarchal carry on at all.

/end rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I know how it's going to go.
    My dad will laugh and say "are you mad? You can ****ing have her! Do you know what you're letting yourself in for? You deserve a medal!" etc etc.
    That's just my dads humour - he'll be delighted for the two of us no matter what we decide. And he'll probably say no when himself asks first anyway!
    I don't really care about it, though I think it's kinda sweet.
    Plus himself is quite shy so it's fun to see him freaking out a little lol :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Yeah but (hypothetically) if your Dad said no, what happens then? He is asked for permission, permission is denied... therefore no engagement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I know how it's going to go.
    My dad will laugh and say "are you mad? You can ****ing have her! Do you know what you're letting yourself in for? You deserve a medal!" etc etc.
    That's just my dads humour - he'll be delighted for the two of us no matter what we decide. And he'll probably say no when himself asks first anyway!
    I don't really care about it, though I think it's kinda sweet.
    Plus himself is quite shy so it's fun to see him freaking out a little lol :P
    That's the only reason my mam would want to be asked is to take the piss. I'd say my brothers would jump in on that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Larianne wrote: »
    I think I'll wake up with the fear tomorrow. I only figured out today that my placement only makes up for 15 % the total end of year mark. I got a bit too cocky with my good marks I got in them. Now I'm a bit :eek: about the exams. I kinda have to do well in them.

So hopefully the fear will decide to show itself tomorrow and I'll actually get some proper study done. :cool:

Hope it goes well for you and you get a lot done! :) That's the one good thing about The Fear, you'll just sit there until you get it done because there's no time to put it off until later :pac: I can't believe that placement is only 15% though, it's a pity it's not a bit more. You'll do brilliantly in the exams though so don't be stressin' too much :)

So today (starting at 9, so much for getting up early...) I'm going to get SO MUCH STUDYING DONE. I'm saying this here now so if I come back later and haven't, it'll motivate me to sit down and do more. First exam is tomorrow, eep :eek:

This week I'm sorting my life out. Feeling the fear and doing it anyway. Very scary but it has to be done. I promise I'll be less vague about it later in the week but I'm not quite sure yet what I'm going to do/say and if I think about it too much it'll just be a big distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Avengers was awesome!
    Agreed! Saw it Thursday. Loved the hulk in it.
    Kiera wrote: »
    You poor sausage. Hopefully you can pick something up in the chemist?
    Thanks! It's been coming on a few days. Got something Friday but I'm not feeling any better. Have a feeling I'll be parting with €50 for the doctor tomorrow :(
    Sar_Bear wrote: »
    I had the most horrific night of my life at work last night. Can't really say what happened but it was one of those things where it wasn't til I came home this morning that it all hit me like "Holy crap... Was that a dream?"

Faith in humanity = gone :(
    Sounds rough. Hope your okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Congratulations Sarahbro! It's an exciting time. Loved the buzz of telling people and starting to make plans.
    Kiera wrote: »
    That's the only reason my mam would want to be asked is to take the piss. I'd say my brothers would jump in on that too.

Same as that. My father would have thought it was hilarious and my brothers would still be taking the
    piss.

Susie_Q wrote: »
    Yeah but (hypothetically) if your Dad said no, what happens then? He is asked for permission, permission is denied... therefore no engagement?

Ah I really don't think anyone uses the asking the father as a geniune way to find out if they can and can't get married. I think more a gesture to show respect to the future father in law (if the father deserves it/has earned it/is present etc etc etc of course). No reason why anyone should have to it/not do it unless they want to.
    Also no reason it has to be father- it can be anyone, mother, brother, grandfather etc or no one at all. Great thing about the day we live in is we can take/leave and change what traditions we like to make our weddings suit us.
    Because me and my OH are different religions I want a wedding that combines the core beliefs of both our religions but keeps it very general so both sides can enjoy it. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Most Sunday mornings mum cooks a lovely fry up for breakfast. You know the one thats so nice the smell of it wakes you up? Yeah, she makes them. :) Anyway, sometimes she just doesn't get up out of bed, if she's not up by a certain time the old man decides he'll make it. :(

Dad's idea of cooking is to put the fried eggs on at the same time as the sausages. I. Kid. You. Not. Leaving you with rock hard egg yolks and sausages that are either black or half brown/black and half white.

The rashers usually look like they've been on the pan/grill about 10 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just back from a run in the park. So cold from that wind that a cup of tea is being consumed as a recovery drink...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Incredibly rainy here in London... I'm saying that based on Galway standards too! Had plans to do some shopping, maybe some coffee.. Buts it's 11.25 now I'm on having a telly marathon and still in my pjs!! There is such a thing as 'just too wet to go out'!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement