Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Screw it, I'm going to the ball. One night of missed study is not going to make any difference to my exams at this stage, I was already fooked.

Off home now to get ready...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

@pixiebean

the td's etc get a lot of letters all the time, its often an age before they get answered, its not good enough imo but thats the reality, it might get things kick started if you get the two guys to go to one of the local td's clinics that are held.

Its appalling to think two people trying to make a genuine go of things are being forced back on the dole, as others said contact the papers wlr etc. The media will love a story like this right now.

At the very least it might force a re think on the second entrance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I agree with Blue, I'd fight tooth and nail if that happened to my fella's business! You'd think they would be trying to keep people off the dole :rolleyes:

Finally off my feet and ready for a night of trying out the new products I received today in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Pixiebean, that is so infuriating :mad: Bad press holds a lot more weight in these situations than you might think, absolutely hammer them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Well have just fired off a whole load of e-mails to the local TDs and have already gotten a response from one. Also, fired off similar e-mails to Irish Times, Irish Independent and all the local newspapers.

Hopefully we'll at least get this some publicity even if it doesn't result in back tracking by the Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Last November my boyfriend and his best friend opened a tyre shop and they have been doing incredibly well considering the current economic climate.

A few weeks ago my boyfriend had a visit from the local Council alleging that one of our neighbours had complained about the entrance, saying that there had been a few close calls with cars pulling out of our place and onto the main road. First of all, what has that got to do with the Council?? These alleged "close calls" could have very easily been with either myself or my boyfriend pulling out of the house on the bikes or the 10-20 people that call to the house weekly (what can I say, we're a popular couple lol!). There is absolutely no evidence that any of these alleged "close calls" can be attributed to the business. Second of all, my boyfriend's family has lived in this house for over 50 years, same goes for all of the neighbours, if there was a problem, the neighbours would have absolutely no issue with coming up to us and telling us themselves. So we're quite skeptical over what really got the Council out to us.

My boss's husband is a Conveyancing Solicitor so he got involved and organised an Architect to come out and assess things and set out our options to keep the Council happy. The Architect said our only option was to apply for permission for a second entrance with a recessed road off the main road.

The Architect has just come back and said that the Council won't agree to the application. That was literally our only option. So the Council are going to shut us down and close the business.

I am so bloody angry right now. The government go on and on and on about helping people get off the dole and helping start up business and all this bull**** but when it comes down to it they really couldn't give a ****.

My boyfriend was on BTEA for 2 years and on the dole for a year prior to that. His best friend was on the dole for 2 years. What the hell are they supposed to do now? Go back on the dole? Yeah, that's just brilliant!

The two lads are understandably so annoyed right now! They're both mega angry that they'll have to go back on the dole now and there's question marks hanging over how easy that will be considering they have both been classed as self-employed for just over 7 months.

My boyfriend is pissed because aside from the issue with the dole, he now has 50 acres of land lying idle, which he can do nothing with because the Council want to buy it, and he has a huge commercial space there beside our house which he can also do nothing with because the Council won't allow him carry on business. What the hell is wrong with this country??

Modern Ireland in a nutshell, where bureaucracy and red tape trump business and common sense. no wonder so many people are getting out of here. no jobs, cant start your own business due to all the bullsh1t that goes with it, this country is fcuked.

yayyy!
    keep us updated
    we're behind you on this :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

My exam went ok (and by ok i meant i kicked ass).....FINALLY!! :D

i need a nap and a shower and some food!

study for night is.....watching movies for film tomorrow!! my fav kind of study! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Well have just fired off a whole load of e-mails to the local TDs and have already gotten a response from one. Also, fired off similar e-mails to Irish Times, Irish Independent and all the local newspapers.

Hopefully we'll at least get this some publicity even if it doesn't result in back tracking by the Council.

I'd never think of contacting td's and media, I'd just cry and give up, your plan is better! :)

• Advertisement

A boards angry mob lol!

Well Acoshla I contacted them before and I got no response but I suppose at this stage it's more serious because the Council are shutting us down so maybe that's why they have responded at this stage.

My mother contacted two TD's over something once, can't remember now, one helped her and the other never even replied (it was an emotive subject to do with one of my family as far as I can remember so she was surprised he didn't respond), to this day she dislikes him for it!

Hope ye get it sorted x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Pixiebean that's appalling, fair play to you for having the backbone to fight it, i'd also have gone more down the Acoshla route and just cried :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You have to fight for everything. It's a joke. I had to threaten the HSE to get the appointments I needed to have my son diagnosed. It's amazing how mentioning slating them in local and national papers/radio stations gets things moving.

To be perfectly honest I don't feel like we're "fighting" it. We're not going to get anywhere but I still want to publicise this as much as I can. The public deserve to know what is actually happening to people who are trying to get off Social Welfare. You see it all the time, people giving out about being stuck on the dole and they're told to start their own business, this is what happens when you do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

Lucyfur wrote: »
    You have to fight for everything. It's a joke. I had to threaten the HSE to get the appointments I needed to have my son diagnosed. It's amazing how mentioning slating them in local and national papers/radio stations gets things moving.

Same, I've been on a waiting list for an MRI scan for over 2 years. :o Could be dead in the time it takes to get one!

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest I don't feel like we're "fighting" it. We're not going to get anywhere but I still want to publicise this as much as I can. The public deserve to know what is actually happening to people who are trying to get off Social Welfare. You see it all the time, people giving out about being stuck on the dole and they're told to start their own business, this is what happens when you do so.

My Social Welfare/BTWEA had two very massive mistakes made by people in SW in the space of a year, it was ridiculous. I went in to finally sort it and the lovely guy who I'd been dealing with made a call to sort it once and for all, I was delighted when he said "In fairness to the girl she's been nothing but patient with us and has been trying to set up her business and get off the dole for a year and ye keep stopping her" :) I brought him in a box of cupcakes when it was all sorted and he looked at them like it was a bomb, don't think SW staff get thanked too often :o

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Feel completely burnt out with exams and study at this stage.Had two exams yesterday,the last one from 6 to 8.Has really taken a toll on me today,but I still have two more exams to study for. :(

The lads have contracts with two local businesses as well that they're going to have to cancel - I don't even know how that's going to work out.

So so disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

Long time lurker but here goes... Jane, is there any chance that you're putting up with a lot of BS because it's your first relationship? The guy is 28, unemployed with no apparent interest in getting a job or learning to drive, still living with mammy, whose primary activities appear to be Xbox and watching the footie. Have you ever asked him what he wants out of life? Does he have any ambition at all? If he does, he's not going to get far by staying up all night playing video games and sleeping all day.

I'll put it this way, there's not a lot of women his own age who'd be interested. There's a medical term for what's wrong with him btw, it's called lazyitis (complications brought about by perma-hangover).

This sounds something along the lines I was thinking but didn't have the ladyballs to write. You sound like a very patient lady, Jane. I feel it's also very rude to sleep until all hours of the evening when you are a guest in somebody elses home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

@jane
    sleeping till 2 or 3 in the day every day is a bad habit (unless you work night shifts or something). It leaves you lethargic and drained for the bulk of the working day.

I was unemployed for a 9 months after 15 years working consecutively and the best advice I got was to maintain a working day routine, get up 7.45 mon - fri , be sure to exercise daily, it keeps your mind and body active during a period of inactivity.

Its obviously annoying you so you could ask your boyfriend to make the effort while he is staying with you, to get up early and make most of the time you both have together. I'm sure he would, sometimes people need a gentle shove in the right direction, its easy get into a negative pattern particularly in current times where jobs etc are so hard to find.

• Advertisement

Polloloca wrote: »
    This sounds something along the lines I was thinking but didn't have the ladyballs to write. You sound like a very patient lady, Jane. I feel it's also very rude to sleep until all hours of the evening when you are a guest in somebody elses home.

Just read back over Jane's posts there as I missed some, this might be ageist (but I'm 27 so allowed to say it?) but Jane, I thought your boyfriend was around your age, I had him at 22-24. At that age people can still be in college mode, but he's 28?? Most unemployed/not college going 28 year olds I know are frustrated and trying desperately to change their situation, wanting to get up and do something, I really thought your boyfriend was early 20's and enjoying the doss that unemployment can be for a while when you're just out of college and don't actually want to work yet.

I'm pretty sure this post is coming out kind of harsh, but I'm honestly replaying all the posts I've read about your boyf and having him at 28 instead of 22, he really should be awake before 2pm all the time :eek:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

Avox wrote: »
    Same, I've been on a waiting list for an MRI scan for over 2 years. :o Could be dead in the time it takes to get one!

Keep ringing, every. single. day:D

I hated the HSE as my monkey was being diagnosed. I know they are extremely reluctant to diagnose autism before 5 as, well, kids in general are little sh1ts until then:D But, my buck had no speech, walked on his toes, flapped his hands, left the sitting room needing to be re-plastered 3 times due to temper tantrums, would only eat one type of food for months on end (once it was a family sized box of cheerios, which he carried round under his arm for 6 long months - as if we didn't stand out enough already:D)...he was text book autism from birth and no one would listen to me.
    Finally, when he was 4, after a lot of angry letters and phone calls and threats to the principle of psychology...we got the appointments and the diagnosis.

Now, I can't praise the HSE enough. Through them we did the hanen program, LAMH, TEACH and PECS. It was wonderful to learn some communication skills. Now, he speaks perfectly but still has weekly SLT, along with OT. He goes to chess lessons every week and a social group. Until this year, he went to a summer camp with a full time SNA for a week in the summer. He's top of his class, has a reading age of 16 and is sitting beside me right now working on his own website:cool:

Fight, it's so bloody worth it in the end:D

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AhInFairness

I know everyone under the age of 50 jokes about "I'm calling Joe Duffy about this!!" but seriously, it might not be a bad one to go for. Guaranteed publicity.

Not to digress - but is eating just the same food all the time a sign of autism? :eek:

Hope your little speedbump is doing well now, Lucyfur.

eh? her bf is 28? and thinks it's ok to stay in someone's home and start sleeping until all hours?
    i'd be mortified to do that...
    you get up with the house or earlier if you're quiet

LOL @ ladyballs, love it:D

Jane, I'm afraid I have to agree. You need to give him a giant kick up the bum. Look at how much better you've been feeling since you started the volunteer work and started walking. You seem more chilled and happier. I think you and him might need to have a wee sit down for a chat. Could ye afford a little one bed flat together? Or a double room in a house...

bluewolf wrote: »
    you get up with the house or earlier if you're quiet

Which is why I'm not good at staying with my friend who has a new baby, being bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7am nearly killed me! :p:D

Could ye afford a little one bed flat together? Or a double room in a house...

Tbh I would NEVER move in with a guy of that age who lived at home and slept all day, he'd want everything done for him...

Acoshla wrote: »
    Tbh I would NEVER move in with a guy of that age who lived at home and slept all day, he'd want everything done for him...

she'd turn into his mammy
    bad idea
    get him to move out on his own first
    unless you have a little chat in general

• Advertisement

I'm remembering when I went to stay with one of my best friends in canada and stayed in his apartment. He kept waking me up and I kept falling back asleep, until he got my breakfast for me. In my defense, I was jetlagged. I can't imagine doing it in another persons home though.

Not to digress - but is eating just the same food all the time a sign of autism? :eek:

Hope your little speedbump is doing well now, Lucyfur.

My little speed bump it just mighty. Getting more and more like Kevin the Teenager each and every day:rolleyes:

No, not at all, with him he would ONLY eat cheerios for those 6 months. They HAD to be in the box, no other way. He would drink bottles of soya milk or water but apart from that, nothing else. Then we went through birds eye burgers. It had to be them, they had to be grilled. Then sausages, they had to be cut up, but if you ripped the skin on them, he'd fling the plate at the wall. The soya yoghurt phase was expensive...if he dribbled a bit, he'd throw the pot at the wall....

Poor little pet. :( Does he eat regular food now or does he still have his little routines he needs to follow?

Ah I wouldn't either but we have big ladyballs....

I think we need to give Jane ladyball implants:D

awec wrote: »
    What age is your son now Lucyfur?

He's 10 this year :D
    Poor little pet. :( Does he eat regular food now or does he still have his little routines he needs to follow?

Routine, yes, that'll always be a part of his life but he's much more flexible now. Like, when he was 5/6/7, we had set ''shop'' days. If I ran outta milk on a not-shop-day, tough. It wasn't worth the hassle to break routine.

Now he's great, don't land surprises on him, or tell him one thing and do another, but apart from that it's cool. He doesn't ''do'' public toilets (or house ones if they're not spotless) but he has amazing bladder control:p

This video has made me so sad and angry. Stupid fecks taking the p*ss with this crap putting people's lives at risk, probably terrifying and exhausting the horses, and disregarding fecking everything outside of their stupid behaviour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rc5JsMn0LRQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Yeah he's almost 28. Thanks for the replies then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

The 11 year old singer on BGT is deadly! I also like the bendy women, making tea with her feet :)

ah jane dont mean to gang up on you
    you just sounded so unhappy about it
    and you're right to be is all

i know what it's like though - everyone thinks i'm crazy with my own bf situation

This video has made me so sad and angry. Stupid fecks taking the p*ss with this crap putting people's lives at risk, probably terrifying and exhausting the horses, and disregarding fecking everything outside of their stupid behaviour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rc5JsMn0LRQ

I can't watch it. It's all over the interwebz and I still haven't watched it. Seeing animals being abused/hurt makes me sick to my stomach:mad::(

I would love to win the lotto and take *ALL* the animals

Ah I'm ok tbh. Why do people think you're crazy bluewolf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

has a reading age of 16 and is sitting beside me right now working on his own website:cool:

Your son comes across as a proper legend!

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Ah I'm ok tbh. Why do people think you're crazy bluewolf?

:D
    I won't get into it
    if anyone else told me I would think they are too
    but i'm happy enough for now so we'll see :)

• Advertisement

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    Yeah he's almost 28. Thanks for the replies then

Jane, we're all only trying to help.

Take a step back yourself. If you were reading posts from a very lovely person, who's bf sleeps for half the day, you'd be concerned for them too x

I can't watch it. It's all over the interwebz and I still haven't watched it. Seeing animals being abused/hurt makes me sick to my stomach:mad::(

I would love to win the lotto and take *ALL* the animals

It's not that bad to watch in terms of the horses, I stopped looking at them when I saw them going full pelt, I'd get too sad. But the way they take up the whole road, completely disregarding cars coming towards them, they would happily plow into them if the cars didn't slow down and stop. I hate the way they think they're above (or below is more like it) the law, such a selfish disgusting group of people. Politically incorrect or whatever, I hate them right now after seeing that.

I don't really know why but I have now pictured Lucyfur's son as a mini Dr Reid (from Criminal Minds).

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Your son comes across as a proper legend!

Only on paper......

......I'm joking:p He's an awesome little dude. I love the fact that he's my wee buddy now and we go everywhere together:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement