Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgradeing my gameing pc

Options
  • 12-04-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Hi guys justnloking for some advice on upgradeing my current gameing rig, basicaly i want to be able to play bf3 and run fraps at the same time . As well as some video editing on the side. My current rig just doesnt seem to be capable of running both fraps and bf3 at the same time even on low settings , i average about 20 fps on low setting with both running. With just bf3 i run on around 30 .

My current specs:
    Intel pentium dual core e6600 3.06Ghz
    4gb ddr2 400mhz ram
    1tb sata HDD
    Nvidea geforce 430 1gb
    450 watt psu

What i was looking at was spending around 200-250 euro on a new motherboard, CPU, ram.

I priced a bundle on ebay for a asus motherboard , a AMD BULLDOZER 3.6GHZ quadcore and 8gb of ddr3 1333mhz ran for 220 . But i have read mixed reviews on the processor in the bundle that its not the best for gameing etc .

I just need to know if the package would fill my needs as a gameing/videoediting pc for atleast another year or so.

I plan on keeping my graphics card PSU and hard drive as well as the case.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well just CPU mobo ram upgrade won't do much here m8. Your gpu is low end ancient thing. I am surprised it is capable even running bf3.

Even with upgraded mobo/CPU bundle, your gpu will be a huge bottleneck and you wil feel deck all improvement.

What you could do:
    Get a q6600 CPU and aftermarket cooler. Those are good for ocing. That should set you back around 80-90eu ( second hand)
    Then get 6870 gpu for 150ish ( new )

This way you will maximaze your performance per euro and won't have huge bottlenecked system.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭IIIAcHmEdIII

Well just CPU mobo ram upgrade won't do much here m8. Your gpu is low end ancient thing. I am surprised it is capable even running bf3.

Even with upgraded mobo/CPU bundle, your gpu will be a huge bottleneck and you wil feel deck all improvement.

What you could do:
    Get a q6600 CPU and aftermarket cooler. Those are good for ocing. That should set you back around 80-90eu ( second hand)
    Then get 6870 gpu for 150ish ( new )

This way you will maximaze your performance per euro and won't have huge bottlenecked system.

But isnt my ram setting me back performance wise because its so crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I wouldn't buy from ebay. For 250 your better off going with an intel i3 set up. But, yeah you will still need to upgrade the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wouldn't buy from ebay. For 250 your better off going with an intel i3 set up. But, yeah you will still need to upgrade the GPU.

I don't think i3 is even good option in this case. 250eu is a low budget. H61 alone will set him back 70eu, for which he can buy q6600++ CPU. I don't really think there will be huge difference between i3 and oced q6600.
    Plus if he will go i3 setup he will end up with no gpu and in the same position, but with -250eu.

OP. look at your pc amd them check for yourself most weakest spots. In your case it is Gpu, then CPU, then ram. If you don't want to go over your budget then go with my setup mentioned above. If you can go little bit over your budget, you can get second hand ddr2 ram. Keep in mind it won't do that much of difference in perfoamce. Plus 8gb ddr2 r will be very expencive and not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I don't think i3 is even good option in this case. 250eu is a low budget. H61 alone will set him back 70eu, for which he can buy q6600++ CPU. I don't really think there will be huge difference between i3 and oced q6600.
    Plus if he will go i3 setup he will end up with no gpu and in the same position, but with -250eu.

OP. look at your pc amd them check for yourself most weakest spots. In your case it is Gpu, then CPU, then ram. If you don't want to go over your budget then go with my setup mentioned above. If you can go little bit over your budget, you can get second hand ddr2 ram. Keep in mind it won't do that much of difference in perfoamce. Plus 8gb ddr2 r will be very expencive and not worth it.

I was comparing it to the AMD bundle, but yeah your right. I'd OC the q6600

• Advertisement
Advertisement