Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Abercrombies A Red Country [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 12-04-2012 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Joe Abercrombies next standalone book A Red Country will be published October 18th. I just can't wait any longer... loved the first law trilogy and best served cold brought his work to a whole new level.

Here's a short synopsis for A Red Country,

“Shy South comes home to her farm to find a blackened shell, her brother and sister stolen, and knows she’ll have to go back to bad old ways if she’s ever to see them again. She sets off in pursuit with only her cowardly old step-father Lamb for company. But it turns out he’s hiding a bloody past of his own. None bloodier. Their journey will take them across the lawless plains, to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feuds, duels, and massacres, high into unmapped mountains to a reckoning with ancient enemies, and force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, a man no one should ever have to trust…”

I'm really liking the sound of 'none bloodier'.. seems like abercrombies bringing back a character from previous books

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Sounds good. I'm half way through The Blade itself, it's quite hard going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Yeah.. Abercrombie seems to be an author people either love or hate but honestly you wont know which side youre on til you get to the end of the trilogy... think you'll hang in there??

lestat21 wrote: »
    Yeah.. Abercrombie seems to be an author people either love or hate but honestly you wont know which side youre on til you get to the end of the trilogy... think you'll hang in there??

My problem with the first book is i just can't see the setting. I know it's fantasy, but it reads as medieval fantasy but yet it feels futuristic. Lack of maps doesn't help. Plus I feel it's all over the place, major events in one chapter have seemed to have been forgotten, while Glokta goes about his buisness.
    The Northmen staking they're claim to Angland
    Then even near half way he introduces new characters, kinda annoying as i was only getting use to the ones I have met already.

I'm currently on chapter 22 "Signs", so I am finish it and see what happens.

The first two books kinda set up all the action in the third book.. thats not to say that nothing happens!! New characters, plots and themes are still been introduced in the second book.. hell, even the third book. Abercrombie is always changing things up nothing stays the same for long and thats what I like cos you can actually see characters changing in different circumstances. Some of the characters that arent introduced til late in the series, are fan favourites that have minor roles in a lot of his books but it does take a while to remember everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Joe Abercrombies next standalone book A Red Country will be published October 18th. I just can't wait any longer... loved the first law trilogy and best served cold brought his work to a whole new level.

Here's a short synopsis for A Red Country,

“Shy South comes home to her farm to find a blackened shell, her brother and sister stolen, and knows she’ll have to go back to bad old ways if she’s ever to see them again. She sets off in pursuit with only her cowardly old step-father Lamb for company. But it turns out he’s hiding a bloody past of his own. None bloodier. Their journey will take them across the lawless plains, to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feuds, duels, and massacres, high into unmapped mountains to a reckoning with ancient enemies, and force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, a man no one should ever have to trust…”

I'm really liking the sound of 'none bloodier'.. seems like abercrombies bringing back a character from previous books

Logen is showing up for sure but I reckon the bloody nine is gone.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Logen is showing up for sure but I reckon the bloody nine is gone.

Thanks! Now I know Logen survives The First Law Trilogy, that's 3 books you just ruined for me ya muppet!

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Thanks! Now I know Logen survives The First Law Trilogy, that's 3 books you just ruined for me ya muppet!

I did put SPOILERS in the thread title... I'd advise you to unfollow this thread and please understand that just cos one main character 'survives' it doesnt mean that the series is crap or not worth reading, not of the series' many plot twists or character developments have been discussed here...

As per Logen's survival, it's only my opinion that he will show up and thats just from the whole none bloodier in the book description posted.

Title says spoilers though!

and here
    its not certain at the end of first law if he is dead or not. I took it as he was dead but hoped he wasn't. His story is done and if he shows up again, it is really just to placate the fans.

Title says Red Country [Spoilers] leading me to believe spoilers are Red Country related. Surely it doesn't relate to every spoiler known to man. Best tag spoilers in future like a good chap.

Title says Red Country [Spoilers] leading me to believe spoilers are Red Country related. Surely it doesn't relate to every spoiler known to man. Best tag spoilers in future like a good chap.

Well a character featuring in a book would be seen as a spoiler for that book. That book being set in the same fictional universe as the first law trilogy, by the same Author, and an author who has a penchance for using old characters in his stand alones, are all reasons why it is naive to assume that a thread marked with spoilers wont have spoilers for the first law series.
    For fleck sake it's basically the same series, so it's likely to feature spoilers for the whole series.

Best be more cautious with spoiler threads in future chap.

• Advertisement

Right sonovagun, I know youre unimpressed bt thats the way spoilers work and thats why I put it in the title of this thread. But ya better unfollow this thread if you dont want more spoilers and whatever you do dont watch this link :)

I really feel like arguing the use of teaser trailers for books!!! Who came up with this idea?? ...but I like this one mainly cos I think it gives away the identity of the unknown returning charcter. You have been warned cos I'd really like to have the chat and speculate about where this character is now...

Right sonovagun, I know youre unimpressed bt thats the way spoilers work and thats why I put it in the title of this thread. But ya better unfollow this thread if you dont want more spoilers and whatever you do dont watch this link :)

I really feel like arguing the use of teaser trailers for books!!! Who came up with this idea?? ...but I like this one mainly cos I think it gives away the identity of the unknown returning charcter. You have been warned cos I'd really like to have the chat and speculate about where this character is now...

Would be so funny if he didn't show up in the book and it was all a big misdirection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm pumped for this now! I can't wait. It's going to be unreal catching up with Ninefingers, and a few more faces I hope. Maybe my most anticipated book of the year now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just got a mail saying this is ready for download to my Kindle. Huh?! It's not meant to be due until October 18th - that's 3 weeks early!

ixoy wrote: »
    Just got a mail saying this is ready for download to my Kindle. Huh?! It's not meant to be due until October 18th - that's 3 weeks early!

Did you get it? I never got any mail.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Did you get it? I never got any mail.
    Yep. Checked his site and the official release date is still October 18th. Must be a mistake on the database.
    If also got Peter Ford Hamiltons latest about ten days early a few weeks ago.

OMGNEWHAMILTON

*cough*
    Anyway I just finished the Abercrombie trilogy
    Was interesting enough, not captivating
    did quite like the third book

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

Any reviews / thoughts on this??

Just finished it today - was quite pleased with it overall - particularly how it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Loved it ... Always sad when I come to the end of one of his novels now. Love the characters and the setting. Currently my fav fantasy author

Advertisement