Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electric fencing multiple wires?

• 12-04-2012 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

in a multiple wire electric fence system, how are live wires connected to each other and earth wires connected to each other? help appreciated as im new to this stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

in a multiple wire electric fence system, how are live wires connected to each other and earth wires connected to each other? help appreciated as im new to this stuff.

how many strands of wire are you talking about in the fence? you can either have an all the strands of wire live where each strand is connected together once on each run with just a standard piece of wire or you can leave the bottom strand of the fence as an earth and this will help the fence to burn back vegetation but it obviously wont have any shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

earth is where the fencer unit is conected to the ground
    with a main fencer you should have 4-6 earth rods buried in damp ground and connected is series to the fencer. These are 4 or 6ft galvanised steel rods.

some people as a work around the earth rod system prefer to run a second wire around a field instead that is conected to the earth on the fencer. with this method the animal has to touch both wires at the same time to close the circuit and get a shock.

With the earth rod system the animal only needs to touch one wire to get a shock. This is as the animals feet are touching the ground/earth and the circuit is close when they touch the wire.

personaly I'd go to the effort of proper buried earth rods for main.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Normally in Ireland all the wires are live, wrap a piece of wire about 1m long between two strands with about 30cm of the joiner wire around each strand at every strainer post. The soil acts as a conductor back to the earth bars. It's only in Australia where the soil can be dry and fences run for >10km where you would use an earth wire.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

blue5000 wrote: »
    It's only in Australia where the soil can be dry and fences run for >10km where you would use an earth wire.

:eek: ummm we use the second from the bottom as earth in a 5 strand fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The place where earth wires are used is in sheep fencing you run 5 strands from the bottom 1,3,5 are live and 2,3 are earthed to an earth (2-3 rods) if you have a good bit of it also the fenced is earthed as it is very hard to keep good shock on 5 wires

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 distantmemory

how many strands of wire are you talking about in the fence? you can either have an all the strands of wire live where each strand is connected together once on each run with just a standard piece of wire or you can leave the bottom strand of the fence as an earth and this will help the fence to burn back vegetation but it obviously wont have any shock
    I will be using 4 strands of wire in a very small area 50 meters x 30. i will be using the soft wire. not sure what its called but its like cord and comes in roles. would it be ok to just have a piece of this wire tied from one wire to another at one point for it to work? also i will be using a battery unit. thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I will be using 4 strands of wire in a very small area 50 meters x 30. i will be using the soft wire. not sure what its called but its like cord and comes in roles. would it be ok to just have a piece of this wire tied from one wire to another at one point for it to work? also i will be using a battery unit. thanks
    Sounds fine...
    For this set-up one earth rod should be fine, particularly if you get it well down and better if it's in damp ground..

What are you keep in behind the fence ??

bbam wrote: »
    Sounds fine...
    For this set-up one earth rod should be fine, particularly if you get it well down and better if it's in damp ground..

What are you keep in behind the fence ??
    another query i have is do i have to have a full circle of wire to complete the circuit or could i start at one pole and finish at a pole at the end. also im unsure how to set up a single gate wire. thanks for help.

another query i have is do i have to have a full circle of wire to complete the circuit or could i start at one pole and finish at a pole at the end. also im unsure how to set up a single gate wire. thanks for help.

No need for a loop... straight line is fine... Get a spring handle and it can work as a gate....

No need for a loop... straight line is fine... Get a spring handle and it can work as a gate....
    how do i attach the wire to the first and and last posts? the wire obviously cant be tied directly around the wood. thanks

• Advertisement

i found out the last question. the wire will be polywire (rope) can the different strands of wire be attached together to give them all power by simply tying polywire from one to another with simple knots?

If your using wooden posts get some nail in insulators...

insulator_p13.jpg

Or if its a fence to be moves round much I'd opt for plastic posts with insulators moulded in..
    electric-fence-post.jpg

Use spring gate handles for the gate..

fyVMtP8A

At the end just tie it to the insulator or round the plastic post, just ensure it's not touching the wooden post or it will short out..

If your using wooden posts get some nail in insulators...

insulator_p13.jpg

Or if its a fence to be moves round much I'd opt for plastic posts with insulators moulded in..
    electric-fence-post.jpg

Use spring gate handles for the gate..

fyVMtP8A

At the end just tie it to the insulator or round the plastic post, just ensure it's not touching the wooden post or it will short out..
    will the spring handles come with somthing to attach them to the wire at eithei end? also can i connect the current between the different strands of poly wire by simply tying some polywire from one strand to another with a normal knot? thanks 4 great help

Yes just tie them together and they will be fine..
    Some gate handles come with hooks for the posts and some don't.. just see what you can get..

Yes just tie them together and they will be fine..
    Some gate handles come with hooks for the posts and some don't.. just see what you can get..
    thanks for your patience

Advertisement