Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I got rats (Or something).

• 12-04-2012 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

I can hear rustling in my music room, went in to to have a look but couldn't see anything, and the rustling had stopped. Went back to bed, few minutes and I hear rustling. I could sometimes hear them scratching about in the attic, but now they've ventured down I'd like to get them to leave. I know they gotta live some place, but they don't pay bills or even buy their own food.

I don't want to use a snappy death machine thing or set up some sort of Rube Goldberg device with which to catch them. How do I go about this, AH?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Had a mouse in a house I lived in before, set traps but never got the fecker so one night I cornered it and killed it with a pitching wedge.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A RAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Id buy a ferret. Then start a new thread seeking advice on how to get rid of a ferret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Id buy a ferret. Then start a new thread seeking advice on how to get rid of a ferret.
    Get ferret definately he'd find it no problem mine would anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Can I borrow your ferret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What do you call a guy rolling about in leaves?
    Russell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ferret

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Lure them with promises of school photos, locks of hair and a Communion suit.

Oh wait, rats? I though you said paedophiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I hear the pied piper is pretty effective on getting rid of rats. Just make sure you pay him on time if you’ve got any kids you want to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Don't forget you'll need a mink to get rid of a ferret. Then a mongoose to snuff out the mink..

Mr. Rager wrote: »

That makes no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭policarp

Get a piccolo. Play a few tunes. They will follow you. Lead them towards a steep cliff and jump.
    Keep playing 'till you hit the deck.
    Problem solved. . .

Gonna make a run at it now with the house I used to keep my hamster in, I can hear it at the door. Actually quite scary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That makes no sense.

Paedorat.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Think thats bad I got crabs

Don't forget you'll need a mink to get rid of a ferret. Then a mongoose to snuff out the mink..
    Are u mad ferret would easily take on a mink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

mackg wrote: »
    Had a mouse in a house I lived in before, set traps but never got the fecker so one night I cornered it and killed it with a pitching wedge.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITH A RAT

LOL, I like that you put your caveat in capitals there :D

"...yea, bash it with fcuking golf club or a wine bottle or sumthin but don't - I repeat, DON'T - go near a rat with that $hit."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

hypnotise them into thinking they are lemmings, then leave a map to the cliffs of moher on the coffee table.

Can I borrow your ferret?
    Where u livin
    Could be squirrels in there aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Mr. Rager wrote: »

That makes no sense.
    It's two o'clock in the morning and I was trying to be funny, but it was in fact a shít joke.

To answer your question, get a Jack Russell. They were bred for killing vermin. Crazy little motherfúckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

my music room

You have a music room:eek:
    Get Jeeves to catch the beast;)

• Advertisement

Where u livin

I'm in Limerick, but make trips to Dublin once in a while. I'll pay your bus fare if you do come down, I'll even make you dinner and coffee.

Also, yeah, I have a music room, in my sh!tty apartment I can't afford despite the cheap rent. I'm a starving musician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Get some ham and use it to lure a stray cat into your house, wait till the cat kills the mouse or rat then pick the cat up and fcuk it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

It's far to late now, it's probably laid thousands of eggs by now. The only solution is to burn the place to the ground.

Rats lay eggs, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Better move house. The rats own it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I got gas. (or something)

yeah my housemate shouted for me a couple of hours ago, awful smell coming up through his floorboards. its out on the street and everything, up through the whole apartment block... rang bord gais and all. they came out. turns out it's not gas. so it's something. it's hurting my lungs though, and my housemate is sleeping on the couch because the smell is too bad in his room.

so send me yer rats, they'll not like this smell too much.

Where u livin

I'm in Limerick, but make trips to Dublin once in a while. I'll pay your bus fare if you do come down, I'll even make you dinner and coffee.

Also, yeah, I have a music room, in my sh!tty apartment I can't afford despite the cheap rent. I'm a starving musician.
    Limerick
    Man there's more ferrets down there than people I'm sure if u knocked around you'd get one that where I got my two

Gonna make a run at it now with the house I used to keep my hamster in, I can hear it at the door. Actually quite scary.

Did you have a look? What's the story then? You might be able to get the council to sort it out (if it's a rat, that is)

In fairness you'll kinda know if it's rats or mice. Rats dont give a s88t and will makes noise all over the house. Mice are generally more congenial and will only be heard at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Wait, are we talking about ferrets the animals, or ferrets some sort of Tallaght slang I don't know about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I can hear rustling in my music room

Show off, a room just for music!

There's an economic crisis you know, the rest of us are living in cramped tenements and the only music we can hear is the death rattle of our starving offspring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Get a cat, I had a cat who used to kill hares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Get a cat, I had a cat who used to kill hares.

What happens when your overrun with cats, you get a dog?

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Did you have a look? What's the story then? You might be able to get the council to sort it out (if it's a rat, that is)

Went in, the bastard ran as soon as I opened the door and was gone before I turned the light on. I got the light on and left my hamster house in there within easy reach. There's a fire place that's out of commission they might be getting in and out of the room from, so I stuck a couple of plastic bags in the hole, idea being that if the bags are moved or have a suspiciously rat shaped hole cut through them then that may very well be the escape route.

• Advertisement

I got gas. (or something)

yeah my housemate shouted for me a couple of hours ago, awful smell coming up through his floorboards. its out on the street and everything, up through the whole apartment block... rang bord gais and all. they came out. turns out it's not gas. so it's something. it's hurting my lungs though, and my housemate is sleeping on the couch because the smell is too bad in his room.

so send me yer rats, they'll not like this smell too much.

Sorry, tried not to laugh at your first line(thought it was a rough curry):D
    Seriously though, you are all still in there???
    Dead body decomposing:pac:

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Sorry, tried not to laugh at your first line(thought it was a rough curry):D
    Seriously though, you are all still in there???
    Dead body decomposing:pac:

:D
    Yep still here.the smell is creeping into my room now. Gas expert man reckons it's something spilt in the shop below us.poor bastards won't have a pleasant work day tomorrow

:D
    Yep still here.the smell is creeping into my room now. Gas expert man reckons it's something spilt in the shop below us.poor bastards won't have a pleasant work day tomorrow

Not sure I would hang around while the smell was still there tbh.
    anything that can permeate through an apartment block like that cannot be good.

Not sure I would hang around while the smell was still there tbh.
    anything that can permeate through an apartment block like that cannot be good.

Aint got nowhere else to go.

If there's no sign of me posting by 1pm tomorrow,avenge my death! Avenge!!

• Advertisement

Went in, the bastard ran as soon as I opened the door and was gone before I turned the light on. I got the light on and left my hamster house in there within easy reach. There's a fire place that's out of commission they might be getting in and out of the room from, so I stuck a couple of plastic bags in the hole, idea being that if the bags are moved or have a suspiciously rat shaped hole cut through them then that may very well be the escape route.

Give the council a call tomo and ask them to get someone from pest control to visit your flat. I don't think they'll do anything for mice but because rats are dangerous and carry minging diseases the council will come over (I think so anyway).

Do they bring their own ferrets?

Aint got nowhere else to go.

If there's no sign of me posting by 1pm tomorrow,avenge my death! Avenge!!

You said you have roomates.
    Have you checked for rotting socks and stale kecks??;)

You said you have roomates.
    Have you checked for rotting socks and stale kecks??;)

Just the one. It's definitely not something like that. It's a very chemical like smell.

Just the one. It's definitely not something like that. It's a very chemical like smell.

What kind of shop is underneath?

please dont say hardware

What kind of shop is underneath?

please dont say hardware
    It's a Centra but they're doing work down there

wilkie2006 wrote: »

Block up that hole
    Leave a piece of cracker on the floor see if the take it or what the lads used to do in the garage I worked in was put some paint on floor around the food rat steps on it and you'll find where he goes

It's a Centra but they're doing work down there

I would watch for that if I were you. Chemical spills can cause serious probs. Sleep with windows open(extra duvet me thinks);)

I would watch for that if I were you. Chemical spills can cause serious probs. Sleep with windows open(extra duvet me thinks);)

Nah too comfy to get up.if I die,sue Centra!

Nah too comfy to get up.if I die,sue Centra!

Leave me in your will so:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement