Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I got rats (Or something).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Leave me in your will so:pac:

Too lazy to make will...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Too lazy to make will...

Beginning to think you are enjoying these fumes;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Block up that hole
    Leave a piece of cracker on the floor see if the take it or what the lads used to do in the garage I worked in was put some paint on floor around the food rat steps on it and you'll find where he goes

Genius idea, I'll do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

OP sprinkle flour around the floor area where he's coming out. That will let you know where he's going. He will avoid paint because of the smell. If it's a rat, he will need water, and must be able to get to some somewhere. Mice will eat food with enough water content, but rats eat, and then go in search of water.

If you have a music room with equipment in there, beware, because he might chew up your wiring if you don't deal with him soon.

Get a steel rat trap, and melt some chocolate on the trigger before you prime it, he wont be able to get it off in one piece and will sit there nibbling, and then BANG, usually ;)

Sticky board will work, but they're banned i'm afraid. Go to the hardware tomorrow and buy some poison, but put a tray of water beside it. That way, he will get used to feeding, and drinking there, and lessen the likelihood of him dying under the floor and stinking your house out.

EDIT.

Is your own house ? Or are you renting ?
    If renting, landlord is legally obliged to call in, and pay for, a professional to kill it.

Peanut butter, rats cant resist it

Peanut butter, rats cant resist it

Yep! always a winner. Smear that over the trap trigger and you're laughing OP.
    Like the chocolate, they cant get it off in one piece.

marcsignal wrote: »
    Yep! always a winner. Smear that over the trap trigger and you're laughing OP.
    Like the chocolate, they cant get it off in one piece.

A neighbour of ours was building and disturbed rats. We had one feckin rat in the house chewing through everything. Peanut butter your only man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

call the guards they love rats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Borrow a cat and leave it in the room where they are. Believe me it could work, I keep two mousers and the amount of rodents they slaughter around my property is quite impressive.

• Advertisement

OK, so I set the top part of my hamster house up with a metal bar and made one of those traps that close when you pull a string, only instead of string I'm using an extension cord. I got bread and coke in there to try and entice the git. Sitting in the hall, now, watching a movie, waiting to hear the can clink. Then, I'll pull the cord and pray I don't have an extremely pissed off rat loose in there. It must be massive, there was a poop on the chair. How did he get up there, man? Must be like half a fucking foot tall or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I can hear rustling in my music room, went in to to have a look but couldn't see anything, and the rustling had stopped. Went back to bed, few minutes and I hear rustling. I could sometimes hear them scratching about in the attic, but now they've ventured down I'd like to get them to leave. I know they gotta live some place, but they don't pay bills or even buy their own food.

I don't want to use a snappy death machine thing or set up some sort of Rube Goldberg device with which to catch them. How do I go about this, AH?

I had a mouse who used to sneak into my bedsit at night, while I'd be on Boards. He used to get in through a small hole in the skirting board. I didn't mind him. To be perfectly honest, I enjoyed his company. The people in the flat next door complained about George to the landlord. He asked me did I know anything about this mouse.

I wanted to defend George but to be perfectly honest I wasn't sure that he was either gay or a confirmed bachelor and I didn't want either young George or young Georgina in my place.

So, I betrayed him.:( I told the landlord where he was getting in. The landlord blocked up the skirting board and I didn't see George for a couple of weeks.

Then, a couple of weeks later, I woke up to find George lying on the floor beside my armchair. Christ knows how he got in, cos I've never had a problem with mice either before or since George. And he's dead nearly three years now.

He died of natural causes, and I don't think he left a family behind. I think he was a bachelor and just wanted to die at home where he felt welcome.

I buried him in Belgrave Square, near to the playground, because I thought he would like that. He was a good friend who helped stem the loneliness when I was in my darkest hour.

R.I.P.

George

Found a dead rat in the garden a few years ago, with a lawnmower!

Spread bits of rat & maggots all over the garden, the stink was something else! :eek:

How long does it take for a rat to starve? Keep in mind I've just given him breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This guy seems to know how to solve your problem if you have more then one rat

Went in, the bastard ran as soon as I opened the door and was gone before I turned the light on. I got the light on and left my hamster house in there within easy reach. There's a fire place that's out of commission they might be getting in and out of the room from, so I stuck a couple of plastic bags in the hole, idea being that if the bags are moved or have a suspiciously rat shaped hole cut through them then that may very well be the escape route.

LOL. Quality. Joe, if your username is even mildly accurate, may I suggest that you should stop surfing the buzz that is "hypomania" and take your Olanzepeine.

I think we both know where it ends if you don't take your meds.

Choco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

OK, so I set the top part of my hamster house
    And even your hamster has a house, as if the music room wasn't rubbing it in enough! Does the hamster's house have a music room too? Tis far from the music room you were born, Joe!

Seriously though, there's only one thing to do: learn the language of the rats, earn their trust, and breed with their women, and in time, your differences will be forgotten.

Block up that hole
    Leave a piece of cracker on the floor see if the take it or what the lads used to do in the garage I worked in was put some paint on floor around the food rat steps on it and you'll find where he goes
    Genius idea, I'll do that.

Joe. May I refer you to the meds, but, failing that are you doing anything for lunch tomorrow? We might aswell put the world to rights. Haven't done that in ages.

*pyjamas..check*

*plan for making the world a better place....check*

Well, I'm not sure there's anything else. See you at one.

Choco.

Btw, Joe, are you in contact with any siblings/close friends at the moment? Sorry for being intrusive.

It's just what a killjoy rat would do.:D

Here's the game plan:

I don't want the wee fellow to die, because I feel bad when things die even when they scare me, so I'm not going to call pest control just yet. Night 001 didn't pan out well with my makeshift trap made out of my late hamster's three floor 17th century manor held up with a spare gold brick I had laying around. I saw his shadow underneath the door, this dude is huge. God wasn't fucking around when he made this son of a bitch.

Once I get over this crick in my neck from lying on the floor for the past however many hours, I'm going to try the same trap again. The reason it didn't work is because the cable caught on the door, so I had to yank it a few times before it loosened.

In the mean time, I'm going to go looking about, seeing if I can find out if he has a family. If he does, I may try some kind of Willard type situation, where I team up with them to conquer my many adversaries, such as my inability to cook and lack of social skills. Hopefully I wind up better than Crispin Glover in the end.

If he has no family, then some sort of weeble may be a better option as a capture device.

Joe. May I refer you to the meds, but, failing that are you doing anything for lunch tomorrow?

Are you asking me out on a date?

Are you asking me out on a date?

Naah man. Just thought you mightn't be well. Failed to see what you were up to. Forgive me. I thought your username might be indicative. My bad. Enjoyed the thread.

Choco

• Advertisement

I gotta take my meds or I go a bit weird, this rat totally exists. He's been quiet for a while, now. Probably sh!tting some more all over the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Joe , are you sure its not the ghost of your late hamster ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it could be rats, it could be mice, it could be shrews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

How long does it take for a rat to starve? Keep in mind I've just given him breakfast.

Don't quote me on this. But I don't think Rats starve. They are survival experts and will eat anything. They also happen to be escape artists, and can get through tiny gaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This rat is not your friend. He is not travelling alone. Get a proper snap trap, it will kill him instantly and painlessly. Live traps just move the problem to your neighbour's house, or straight back to your house if you don't take him far enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

also you might forget about the live trap and the poor fellow could be stuck in it for days..horrible death

snap traps are the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Trying to get rid of a rat on your own is not advisable - rats are actually very dangerous and carry all kind of disease.

I would get a pest control company in.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

rats are dangerous, cunning and extremely intelligent. fortunately, thanks to our very playful cat the only rats we see are very dead, followed by a very content and proud cat. the only thing we need is two kinds of dewormers /one of them also defleas/.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Why don't you just burn your house down? No house....no rat problem....simples!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Are you SURE it is a rat?

Mice make dreadful noises as well...............

Look for the evidence then call in the experts if it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

stupidusername hasn't posted yet. Who's supposed to be avenging her death?
    Bags not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Get some peppermint essence in a health shop pour it into a spray bottle mix some water with it and spray it along the skirting boards job done..worked for me and leave a nice smell:cool:

Confab wrote: »
    Bags not me.

Building being evacuated...

Jaysus luv. You just can't seem to catch a break. If you were to add up the half hours, you've probably been homeless for longer than me.:pac:

:D ah I live in town so it's really just a matter of forcing myself to go out for lunch and look around the shops. Should be let in around 4 or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ah, what did you do? You didn't really try to kill that rat with fire, did you?

Got a call from a musical partner in crime, told him about our visitor and he's calling the land lady. Guess I accidentally declared war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Get some peppermint essence in a health shop pour it into a spray bottle mix some water with it and spray it along the skirting boards job done..worked for me and leave a nice smell:cool:

I bought mint-based rodent repellent packs when I had a rat problem in my apartment Boston a couple of years ago. It ate them. In fairness this thing was the size of a small dog, it can't have been what the manufacturers had in mind. Eventually the building handyman managed to catch it, said it was the biggest rat he'd ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

ghostchant wrote: »
    I bought mint-based rodent repellent packs when I had a rat problem in my apartment Boston a couple of years ago. It ate them. In fairness this thing was the size of a small dog, it can't have been what the manufacturers had in mind. Eventually the building handyman managed to catch it, said it was the biggest rat he'd ever seen.

That's the States for ya everything is 'Supersize me' over there, only comfort is that they won't survive too long with the high cholesterol

Here's the game plan:

I don't want the wee fellow to die, because I feel bad when things die even when they scare me, so I'm not going to call pest control just yet.

Make a humane non-lethal trap. It's easier than you'd think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Confab wrote: »
    Bags not me.

It must've been that bean you had

ah i had enough of shops, just came back. there's no smell seeping into my room anyway so meh. it's clearing out of the rest of the building anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I used one of these last summer, with peanut butter as bait. On a sunny day, the mice came out to play. Caught five in an hour, released them down by the river - where they probably became snake food, but that's not my problem...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Is it very sad that I came on here after suddenly thinking, 'Jaysus, I wonder how yer man with the rats is getting on'.... :pac:

Filled up the fireplace with that expandable foam stuff. The plastic bag had moved, so that must be his door. So long, little guy. Hope you don't like the taste of wall filler foam.

Why not just give it a feed with a magnet in it, then you can just go near it with a steel bar and attract it out! ;)

Smurf the hamster gets stuck to cage with magnet

ah i had enough of shops, just came back. there's no smell seeping into my room anyway so meh. it's clearing out of the rest of the building anyway.

YOU'RE ALIVE:pac:

YOU'RE ALIVE:pac:

it would appear so

• Advertisement
Advertisement