Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you understand the risk!

• 12-04-2012 2:28am

http://www.riskliteracy.org/dnn/
    Would you like to learn more about your risk literacy and numeracy as compared to working professionals, computer literate adults, and college educated people from around the world? By following the link below you will be directed to a published scientific instrument that quickly provides personalized feedback about your risk literacy and numeracy.

I did it and ...
    Congratulations on completing your statistical and risk literacy test!
    Your numeracy score is better than about 75-100% of all college educated individuals. Roughly, this means that out of every 100 people who take the test, you will do better than about 90% (90 people) of all other people. This is the highest score one can receive on this test.

Technically, relative to the general population, you are among the most statistically literate in the world.

Surprised!:eek:

The questions look easy, but they ain't! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Didn't think it was going to be like maths homework :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Stupid test. *grumbles* *cries into her dunce hat* :(

Yay, I got 25%. There was only two questions though?

Did it again, got 50%. right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Do they ask you for credit card details to pay for a certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Yay I got 25%. There was only two questions though?

Did it again, got 50%. Hmm

I thought it was broken with its two questions. I rushed cos it said it was three minutes long. Bastardin' test. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Two questions, that's it?

Answered both correctly (I think, got that 75-100% message), easy enough but the phrasing of the questions was confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

you wouldn't have made the thread if you done ****e. :pac:

*edit* i did ****.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Do they ask you for credit card details to pay for a certificate?

No they give you the results at the end. I got 3 questions the second time :P

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Two questions, that's it?

Answered both correctly (I think, got that 75-100% message), easy enough but the phrasing of the questions was confusing.

It's the confusion of risk in real life that the questions are trying to replicate.

I suspect that most investors in property in the mid noughties would have failed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I want my money back. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Technically, relative to the general population, you are quite statistically literate.

I is smart :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

O Jesus I've had a lot of beer. Looked at 1st q and was like eh wtf. Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Top score, second answer was very guessable did everyone get the same questions? mine were about men in a choir and a loaded dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

mackg wrote: »
    Top score, second answer was very guessable did everyone get the same questions? mine were about men in a choir and a loaded dice.

No, you must have done the Foundation Level questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

25%! Twenty fecking five percent! wánkérs... :mad::D

Naomi00 wrote: »
    There was only two questions though?
    Millicent wrote: »
    I thought it was broken with its two questions.

I got three questions

Yeah I got the choir and the dice but did you get one about the mushrooms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Your numeracy score is better than about 75-100% of all college educated individuals. Roughly, this means that out of every 100 people who take the test, you will do better than about 90% (90 people) of all other people. This is the highest score one can receive on this test.
    I only had two questions, and both were quite easy in my opinion. Oh, the difficulties of being so talented! :rolleyes:

Actually I think those numeracy percentages are weighted depending on which questions you answer.

If you get both correct - you only see the same the same two questions.

Get the 1st correct and the 2nd question wrong and it leads to a 3rd question.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I got three questions

Yeah I got the choir and the dice but did you get one about the mushrooms?

No just got the two, maybe I did it slower so got less questions? Doesn't make sense that it gave us the same grade if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Technically, relative to the general population, you are among the most statistically literate in the world.
    Based on your score, you are not very likely to experience the extreme difficulty most people have when faced with common types of statistical thinking. However, you should still take care and may want to double check your calculations or seek additional advice when it comes to important decisions involving risk and statistics (e.g., some medical decisions, financial investment, taking consumer debt).

In our uncertain and complex world you are likely to find that your higher levels of risk and statistical literacy are very beneficial and important.

Indeed, your levels of numeracy reflect a skill level that very few people ever achieve… one that is the result of considerable practice.
    As the saying goes: " Practice makes perfect."

Please check back with us every few months. We hope to soon offer short (validated) online tutorials to help folks learn to better deal with risk and statistics thinking.

Woot! Go me :)

• Advertisement

Yes, those were the ones.

Just repeated it and the same questions came up!

So did anyone else get the poisonous mushrooms question?

Maybe it was for those who have foundation level maths :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

2 questions. i'm better than 90% of people apparently. do i get a sticker?

mikemac1 wrote: »
    So did anyone else get the poisonous mushrooms question?

Maybe it was for those who have foundation level maths :o

Did it again and got it, it comes up if you get the first one right and the second one wrong. Jimoslimo got the order correct except if you get the first wrong and the second right that's it.

2/2 Correct: 75-100%
    2/3 Correct: 75-100% (1st and 3rd correct)
    1/3 Correct: 50-75% (1st q correct)
    1/2 Correct: 25-50% (2nd q correct)

0/2 Correct: Bottom 25%
    With the following disclaimer, Technically, relative to the general population, you may still be very statistically literate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ok someone explain the choir one to me before I start crying. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Elvis_Presley

I'm drunk and on a ****ty touchscreen phone.got the same OP.not the greatest achievement of your life.find a hobby, maybe a girlftiend if she can handle your sh&te.

Einhard wrote: »

What is the probability that a randomly drawn man is a member of the choir?
    Key here: First you need to find out how many men are in the population;
    100 choir (Out of these 500 members in a choir 100 are men.)
    300 non-choir (Out of the 500 inhabitants that are not in a choir 300 are men.)

400 men total

prob: 100 in 400 men are choir members (25%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What is the probability that a randomly drawn man is a member of the choir?
    Key here: First you need to find out how many men are in the population;
    100 choir
    300 non-choir

400 men total

prob: 100 in 400 men are choir members

Ah I knew that. Was just testin ye!

:cool: :o

• Advertisement

I'm drunk and on a ****ty touchscreen phone.got the same OP.not the greatest achievement of your life.find a hobby, maybe a girlftiend if she can handle your sh&te.

Girlfriend, the wife would kill me! :p

Einhard wrote: »

out of 500 in choir 100 are men =100 men
    out of 500 not in choir 300 are men =300 men
    =400 men total

1/4 chance random man will be in choir = 25%
    The key is that it is a random man

EDIT: Beaten to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I got the choir one, anyone know the answer to the mushroom one, my brain began to melt

Okay, think I have the question order sorted, was getting confused with the dice questions.

1) What is the probability that a randomly drawn man is a member of the choir?

if question 1 answered correctly

2) On average, out of these 70 throws how many times would the die show the number 6?

if question 2 answered incorrectly;

3) What is the probability that a poisonous mushroom in the forest is red?

or

if answered incorrectly then;

2) On average, out of these 50 throws how many times would this five-sided die show an odd number (1, 3 or 5)?

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I got the choir one, anyone know the answer to the mushroom one, my brain began to melt

Mushroom one is a little more tricky
    Say in a field of 100 mushrooms
    20 will be red
    50 will be brown
    30 will be white

Of those 20 red, 4 will be poisonous (20% of 20)
    Of the rest, brown and white, 4 will be poisonous (5% of 80)

Therefore there are 8 poison mushrooms, with 4 red ones = 50%

I'm sure there's a better way of explaining it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Mushroom one is a little more tricky
    Say in a field of 100 mushrooms
    20 will be red
    50 will be brown
    30 will be white

Of those 20 red, 4 will be poisonous (20% of 20)
    Of the rest, brown and white, 4 will be poisonous (5% of 80)

Therefore there are 8 poison mushrooms, with 4 red ones = 50%

I'm sure there's a better way of explaining it

Yeah I worked it out the same way.

Though by your earlier logic it means I got the dice one wrong.

Which irks me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

magine we are throwing a loaded die (6 sides).

The probability that the die shows a 6 is twice as high as the probability of each of the other numbers.

On average, out of these 70 throws how many times would the die show the number 6?

___ out of 70 throws

I'm just trying to work this out

In a standard die the probability for each side coming up is 1/6th correct? But with a loaded die that is twice as high to land six that would mean it would be 1/3rd for six to land

so the number of throws that would be six would be 1/3rd of 70 which rounds down to 23

correct? Or have I grabbed this arseways.

And I did honours maths in leaving cert *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Okay, think I have the question order sorted, was getting confused with the dice questions.

if question 1 answered correctly

2) On average, out of these 70 throws how many times would the die show the number 6?

if question 2 answered incorrectly;

3) What is the probability that a poisonous mushroom in the forest is red?

or

if answered incorrectly then;

2) On average, out of these 50 throws how many times would this five-sided die show an odd number (1, 3 or 5)?
    I answered 25%, 20 and then it finished.
    I tried again incase i made a mistake and still no question 3.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

In a standard die the probability for each side coming up is 1/6th correct? But with a loaded die that is twice as high to land six that would mean it would be 1/3rd for six to land

so the number of throws that would be six would be 1/3rd of 70 which rounds down to 23

It twice as high to land 6 against each of the other numbers. Assign a 'weight' of 1 to each of the numbers 1-5, and a weight of two to the number 6. Count these up. Therefore what is the probability of throwing a 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

I did the same, then I answered the second one wrong, like very wrong, and I got the mushroom one, but when I did that one I still ended up with that same message:confused:

You only get a third question if you answer the 2nd one incorrectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You only get a third question if you answer the 2nd one incorrectly.
    So there should only be 2 questions?

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

The dice will land on 1 to five 50 times and on six 20 times (it's twice as likely to land on the six as any other "individual" number)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

i hate hate hate statistics but i copped on and got them right, yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Unbelieveable.

Your numeracy score is better than about 50-75% of all college educated individuals. Roughly, this means that out of every 100 people who take the test, you will do better than about 2/3 (66 people) of all other people.

Technically, relative to the general population, you are quite statistically literate.
    Based on your score, you are not very likely to experience the extreme difficulty most people have when faced with common types of statistical thinking. However, you should still take extra care and may want to seek additional advice when it comes to important decisions involving risk and statistics (e.g., some medical decisions, financial investment, taking consumer debt).

In our uncertain and complex world you are likely to find that your higher levels of risk and statistical literacy are very beneficial and important.

Indeed, your levels of numeracy reflect a skill level that very few people achieve… one that is likely the result of considerable practice.
    As the saying goes: " Practice makes perfect."

Choir one easy, mushrooms just guessed, guessed 21 as about a third of the 70 throws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Id rather boil my own piss and drink it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

So they decide that on 2 questions, I first wondered did I do the test right so I did it again and yes 2 questions. STUPID test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

stupid test :mad: imho

ah well, my career objectives wanting to be are different to most methinks so not that big a deal so nvm :D

okay :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

f*ck this sh1t

• Advertisement
Advertisement