Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is everything about sex?

• 12-04-2012 5:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Is everything we do just about having sex?

Are we here on the planet solely to reproduce as much and as often as we can?

I had a conversation with some friends where we argued about if there is anything that you do that is not ultimately because it will benefit you in gaining a sexual partner.
    Is there anything in this world that we do that is not ultimately about having sex?
    I myself argued that we all do things just for fun and that the enjoyment of doing the activity is the reword that we are seeking. My friend argued that most activities are a way of gaining something that will ultimately benefit us in acquiring a sexual partner.

What say you After Hours is it all about horizontal shenanigans or is there more to this grate big world of ours then interlocking genitals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

I play games (xbox, pc etc)
    Personally I have no interest in finding some kind of partner through that, I already have one but I have always gamed with no alterior motive...
    It's just fun

But I can see where your friend is coming from, it would appear that about 99% of what humans do is to either attract, meet or just be in the presence of the opposite sex

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I play video games a lot, I don't think that will ever help me get laid. But it has to be said interlocking genitals is a big part of life and a big motivating factor in a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Does hugging and holding hands count instead of sex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

mackg wrote: »
    I play video games a lot, I don't think that will ever help me get laid. But it has to be said interlocking genitals is a big part of life and a big motivating factor in a lot of stuff.

Are you improving your hand eye coordination or your logic / puzzle / tactics? Could this be said to be improving yourself increasing your chances of finding a mate?

I'm just playing devils advocate here but you get my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Well I wouldn't say everything....I mean Pitch'n'Putt....that's not about sex....although now that you mention it OP.....mmmm putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Almost, it's really fun though I have my doubts when comparing it with chocolate or ice-cream but it's still the most common way of procreating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Tits

I mean yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, it's all about food.
    And yeah, some sex would be nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

biko wrote: »
    No, it's all about food.
    And yeah, some sex would be nice too.

You're right!

Last girl I went out with was a nightmare, she wasn't giving it up easy!

I had to bring her back to mine for sex like 10 times or something before she finally gave it up and let me bring her out for a meal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Eat, survive, reproduce - sums up the main aspects. Then throw in power, beauty and questioning or believing in a higher being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Doc wrote: »
    No, of course not!

*hangs head*

Yes, it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

If you rephrase it as such "Imagine you had no penis".

Pretty sure every lad you ask would then be pondering the idea of a shot gun or bridge.

Everything is either sex orientated or denying it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Children aren`t about sex, ok you have sex to have them, but the time and effort you put into them is not about sex.

Education is not about sex. I only started to study ones I had the sex bit sorted and was married - now for higher pursuits. It was something neccessary that is now out of the way.

Yes most of what other people do is about sex, no matter what they say or how they try to delude themselves. People are not particularly in touch with their unconscious, bugs the crap out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

It may or may not be but hell is it fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

No, absolutely not. There are loads of things which aren't driven by it. People don't enjoy food to that end; I can safely say the vast majority of people don't enjoy sport/recreation/video games to that end; philanthropy isn't about sex; religion isn't; food isn't etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If you woke up tomorrow in a place you didn't recognise, then I'd say thinking about or actively trying to get your hole would be far down on the list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Denise90 wrote: »
    Personally I have no interest in finding some kind of partner through that, I already have one but I have always gamed with no alterior motive...
    It's just fun

It's just passing time until you once again have sex :p

You can look at most things and see procreation at the end of it. If what people are doing isn't directly linkable, (btw how the heck are religion and food not about sex:confused:) then what they are doing is probably concerned with the pursuit of pleasure or beauty. Neither I don't think can be separated from sex.

An orgasm and all the gooey goodness that comes with the ride is doing similar pleasuring on your brain/body as any other type of fun, and that's the reward that's driving you & giving you the will to live...so you can have more sex. You're both right, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

foxyboxer wrote: »
    If you woke up tomorrow in a place you didn't recognise, then I'd say thinking about or actively trying to get your hole would be far down on the list of priorities.

How naive.

It would be "oh! a bit of strange!" quick fap first.

It's about eating and f*cking

and the only reason one is eating is to have the engergy to f*ck.

xboxes and sports etc are just things to occupy your mind while your not having sex

so in a way everything comes back to lobbing it into her boss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Philanthropy, charity and war are not related to sex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Going over to Grandma's is not about sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

When you wake up in the morning what is your first thought?

There is your answer ;)

Money
    Food
    Sex

In that order.

Money? Pffft, If you eint got no money get yo broke ass home.

(Food? yes, you'd be fúck use to any woman on an empty stomach :p)

So sex is rarely top of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Eros and Thanatos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

theg81der wrote: »
    Children aren`t about sex, ok you have sex to have them, but the time and effort you put into them is not about sex. ....................

Josef Fritzl would disagree..
    saa wrote: »

Wayne Rooney would disagree..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I watched RoadRunner the other day,it was not about sex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Unless you have a sexy Grandma........

It reminds her that she's still paying for that ride 50 years on.

You better believe it's about sex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

No, it's all about love.

*sniggers*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Denise90 wrote: »
    It's just fun
    Yet with that post you've conveniently just informed a few hundred nerdy guys that you're into gaming, female, and of a doable age...

Ach é sin ráite, tá tú díreach tar éis insiú do céadta buachaillí 'nerdy' gur mhaith leat cluichí riomhaire, gur cailín thú, 'gus go bhfuil tú "fásta"...

Ficheall wrote: »
    Yet with that post you've conveniently just informed a few hundred nerdy guys that you're into gaming, female, and of a doable age...

What does that have to do with anything?

al28283 wrote: »
    What does that have to do with anything?

Well, given that we're talking light-heartedly about attracting people for sex, I was hinting that, perhaps, a hobby like knitting would not pique as many 'interests'...

Ó tharla go bhfuil muid ag caint go haerach faoi daoine a mhealladh le haghaidh gnéas, bhíos ag smaoineamh go bhfuil seans ann nach dtarraingneofá an méid céanna suim da ndeirfeadh sí gur thaithin cniotáil leí...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Panrich

theg81der wrote: »
    Children aren`t about sex, ok you have sex to have them, but the time and effort you put into them is not about sex.

It is not all about the sex but you have hit the nail on the head. It is all about the genes and the proliferation of your genes in preference to others. In order to ensure your genes survive, you need to procreate and have sex, and this also means that you must nourish and care for your offspring. The fact that we die and are replaced by younger stronger versions of ourselves is replicated across all of nature. Look at flowers and plants for a good example. Their whole reason for living is to produce seeds to create more versions of themselves.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, given that we're talking light-heartedly about attracting people for sex, I was hinting that, perhaps, a hobby like knitting would not pique as many 'interests'...

OK, you're sexually attracted to people who play games you mean? well that's you inferring, not her implying. Like you providing an Irish translation comes across as insufferably pretentious though you may not mean it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Sex is the meaning of life so many are searching for.

It is why we are here.

Our whole reason for being here is as a vessel for our genes, to carry them and continue them through reproduction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

in terms of mankind as a whole, yes, thats what its about...well, reproduction and evolution . Survival of the species.

Doesn't really matter though, because the Race is expanding so quickly, it wont be able to support itself much longer and a horrible disease is coming which will wipe most of us out .

Or do you prefer fairy-stories about the Kingdom of Heaven?

Or maybe you shouldn't worry about it and just fornicate ?

(Got a feeling the last option will be most popular.)

al28283 wrote: »
    OK, you're sexually attracted to people who play games you mean? well that's you inferring, not her implying. Like you providing an Irish translation comes across as insufferably pretentious though you may not mean it that way.

Ah, it makes sense now - I was wondering what you were getting so het up for.
    Fine - I'm not a "gamer" and have never even owned a games console, but given that it's an internet forum (which was initially set up for Quake players) it's not unreasonable to assume that there is a reasonably high percentage of posters who might be into their gaming.
    It was, however, only a light-hearted comment.
    Carry on.

Tuigim anois - ní raibh fhios agam an fáth go raibh tú ag gearáin.
    Ceart go leor - ní "gamer" mé agus ní raibh ríomhaire cluichíocht agam riamh, ach ó tharla gur fóram idirlíne é (a thosnaíodh le haghaidh imreoirí Quake), ní bheadh sé míréasúnta glacadh leis go céatadán árd de mbaill boards a bheadh suim mór acu i gcluichí ríomhaire.
    Ach ní raibh mé ach ag greannaíocht.
    Lean oraibh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's not about sex because sex is not essential to individual survival. It may be linked to individual happiness but it's not something you need daily in order to live.

Your mates argument is flawed as he is placing a species wide requirement for sex as a motivating factor for an individual.

Go a month without sex and you won't die. Go a month without water and you will. As such, the need for water trumps the need for sex on an individual level. Your mates argument is flawed and I have a strong suspicion that he/she is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Go a month without sex? Did any boardsie NOT do that ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Everyone thinks it because after years of sexual repression hypersexuality has become normal.

I'd really rather not have it, even kissing weirds me out a bit.

Sex is a big part of life but it's not the only thing. It's one of the basic instincts like sleep and hunger which people are just hyping up to be the be all and end all. Give me steak and a snooze over the bumping uglies any day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Sex is the underlying motivation for everything. It is the great corruptor.. Your friend is right; most people just attend things or pretend to be into stuff for the opportunities that might arouse from it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

I don't think so, gay people can't reproduce they still do stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Sometimes I think it is and we are that base.

We could decide to be celibate and seek wisdom like a lot of the monks and "holy" people. But alas you would then give up a big part of your humanity. This quote is put down to Hitler, "The only perversion is celibacy" something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I would go as far to say that everything we do is motivated by a need to be happy and to make others happy.

but yeah that argument about sex was made before by some big philosophical person. there was a thread about it in here not so long ago if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Freud I would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I don't think it is all about sex.

I never see my boyfriend, but I will in 4 months time. And we are planning of having sex, but we are planning on doing lots of other activities also, because we like to do other things.

And this part of the OP doesn't really make sense
    I had a conversation with some friends where we argued about if there is anything that you do that is not ultimately because it will benefit you in gaining a sexual partner.

I already have a partner so the stuff I do is just for me then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

No ofc it's not, what about when you have someone then how can it be about sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

subconsciously probably yes in a '7 degrees of seperation' kind of way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

How can it be? I've had my testicles removed

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Doc wrote: »

Are we here on the planet solely to reproduce as much and as often as we can?

What say you After Hours is it all about horizontal shenanigans or is there more to this grate big world of ours then interlocking genitals?

Theres also smoking in the Dark afterwards...

• Advertisement
Advertisement