Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need an engine

• 12-04-2012 7:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭

Where is the best place to get an engine,I need to replace my engine for almera and have rang around a few places and there quoting between €200-€400.
    Traynors were the cheapest but is it advisable to see the engine first.Heads wrecked,i've advertised the car for sale and told them about the problem but having no interest which is not surprising so looks like i'll have to find the money and put engine in myself.
    What do i look for when buying the engine,i don't want to be stuck with another dodgy engine.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Where is the best place to get an engine,I need to replace my engine for almera and have rang around a few places and there quoting between €200-€400.
    Traynors were the cheapest but is it advisable to see the engine first.Heads wrecked,i've advertised the car for sale and told them about the problem but having no interest which is not surprising so looks like i'll have to find the money and put engine in myself.
    What do i look for when buying the engine,i don't want to be stuck with another dodgy engine.:(

€200 to €400 seems very reasonable. I take it that is that just to supply the engine?

Whats the problem with your own engine as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Avns1s wrote: »
    €200 to €400 seems very reasonable. I take it that is that just to supply the engine?

Whats the problem with your own engine as a matter of interest?

Yeah its just to supply few breakers have them the one closest to me has one for €300 so will probably go with them as if there any problems with it i've not far to go back with it.
    Big end bearing is gone in engine i have now.

Have you any warranty or comeback to them?

Can you see the engine running? If you can, I would suggest bringing someone competent with you to make an assessment of it. The biggest hassle and possibly cost will be the changing of the engine itself, so you'd want to make sure that you dont have a dud before you start.

Avns1s wrote: »
    Have you any warranty or comeback to them?

Can you see the engine running? If you can, I would suggest bringing someone competent with you to make an assessment of it. The biggest hassle and possibly cost will be the changing of the engine itself, so you'd want to make sure that you dont have a dud before you start.

yeah they said a months warranty.I have a mechanic i always use and he said he'll put it in for €100 so not as bad as i first thought,He can't do it for 2 weeks so he said to get it the day before so we have the full months warranty.

If you're doing it to sell the car, I wouldn't be certain you'd have a whole lot more interest after replacing the engine. What year is the Almera?

• Advertisement

No if i put the engine in i'll keep it,just couldn't be bothered with the hassle not what i wanted when i bought it,but hey these things happen,just wish the bloke was honest with me.Its a 2001.http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3153216 I know €800 probably being ambitious.:(

When i get new engine in do i have to fill forms out and send off somewhere with new engine number on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 moans_n_hole

I am in the same boat as you!!! its such a head wreck!! You try source a new engine then ya get told ya should change the timing belt, and then the water pump, fan belt, battery, oil, oil filter, coolant, gaskets, spark plugs, ah man the list goes on and on! then ya leave it sitting up for a few months and the brakes seize up and discs rust, bushes dry up and perish, tires go flat, mold starts growing inside the car...................its a major headache!!!!!

If anyone manages to find a breakers or scrap yard that have a polite person on the end of the phone please tell me, they tend to be the most ignorant abrasive people in creation, feel like your putting them out by ringing them!!

Anyone interested in a 2005 Audi A4? Super runner, not a days bother:P!!!!

I am in the same boat as you!!! its such a head wreck!! You try source a new engine then ya get told ya should change the timing belt, and then the water pump, fan belt, battery, oil, oil filter, coolant, gaskets, spark plugs, ah man the list goes on and on! then ya leave it sitting up for a few months and the brakes seize up and discs rust, bushes dry up and perish, tires go flat, mold starts growing inside the car...................its a major headache!!!!!

If anyone manages to find a breakers or scrap yard that have a polite person on the end of the phone please tell me, they tend to be the most ignorant abrasive people in creation, feel like your putting them out by ringing them!!

Anyone interested in a 2005 Audi A4? Super runner, not a days bother:P!!!!
    0578646663 these are near me in laois,and have a very good setup.4 ladies on the phones so you normally get a polite response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Whelans are always nice to deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭laois hibby

did you try the chicken. i know he has a good few engines. don't know prices though

did you try the chicken. i know he has a good few engines. don't know prices though

Yeah was told to stay away from chicken and pay the extra €50 with whelans as the come back is better

Advertisement