Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EIRCOM no more than 1,6MB/sec in the Cork City Centre

Options
  • 12-04-2012 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello,

I hope some Eircom technician will be pitiful and help me. I was on a 50Mb/sec UPC package but moved house and got Eircom. I signed for a 24MB NGB package, but so far the max speed I can get is 1,6Mb/sec. I checked and on the website I'm on a 8MB package instead (so no 24MB).

Called Eircom and got the answer that my line can handle only 2MB/sec. That's really strange as I live in the Cork city Centre, won't believe there's no solution to it.

I'm willingly to PAY myself for having me plugged somewhere with a faster speed, change the copper or anything needed;

So what do you suggest? Trying to solve with Eircom or switch to someone else? Does Smart Telecom have its own cabinets where to plug me?

HELP!!!!

:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

weissblut wrote: »
    Hello,

I hope some Eircom technician will be pitiful and help me. I was on a 50Mb/sec UPC package but moved house and got Eircom. I signed for a 24MB NGB package, but so far the max speed I can get is 1,6Mb/sec. I checked and on the website I'm on a 8MB package instead (so no 24MB).

Called Eircom and got the answer that my line can handle only 2MB/sec. That's really strange as I live in the Cork city Centre, won't believe there's no solution to it.

I'm willingly to PAY myself for having me plugged somewhere with a faster speed, change the copper or anything needed;

So what do you suggest? Trying to solve with Eircom or switch to someone else? Does Smart Telecom have its own cabinets where to plug me?

HELP!!!!

:(

Hi weissblut,

Sorry to hear that the speed is not up to scratch. When engineers are selecting which exchange to connect you to there are many factors involved (where cables are run/free ports in the exchange/quality of lines/etc). They would select the best available option for each given line. Getting an already connected phoneline moved is a fairly rare ocurrence but if you send on the account info I will check what we can do from here.

Cheers

James (Logged in as Mark)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 weissblut

Hi weissblut,

Sorry to hear that the speed is not up to scratch. When engineers are selecting which exchange to connect you to there are many factors involved (where cables are run/free ports in the exchange/quality of lines/etc). They would select the best available option for each given line. Getting an already connected phoneline moved is a fairly rare ocurrence but if you send on the account info I will check what we can do from here.

Cheers

James (Logged in as Mark)

Hi James,

thanks for your reply. I will PM you.

Thanks

Dario

weissblut wrote: »
    Hi James,

thanks for your reply. I will PM you.

Thanks

Dario

Cheers for the PM Dario. I think we may have found the problem on our end. Our system automatically tests lines every few weeks and this dictates the speed we can provide down the line. The problem here is that the last automatic test was done before the line was active so it's giving an old result. I have been able to push the speed manually so hopefully this will do the job but I also sent it to be retested anyway. Monitor the speed over the next few days and we'll see if it improves. If not I can take this further internally for you.

Regards

James

Cheers for the PM Dario. I think we may have found the problem on our end. Our system automatically tests lines every few weeks and this dictates the speed we can provide down the line. The problem here is that the last automatic test was done before the line was active so it's giving an old result. I have been able to push the speed manually so hopefully this will do the job but I also sent it to be retested anyway. Monitor the speed over the next few days and we'll see if it improves. If not I can take this further internally for you.

Regards

James

Hi James,

this would be a GREAT news. I'm in the office now but will test the line as soon as I'll get home! will post the results here and let you know. This would solve my problems!

thanks for the help,

Dario

Hi James,

I'm still not at home but remotely connected to my computer and tested - I got a good ping as before and an average speed of 5,60 Mb/sec!!! Good enough to start!!!!!!

Will monitor the line overnight and in the next few days, but apart from normal line congestion, I did the test twice, so it's not a fluke, the line supports more than 2Mb/sec!!!

I hope I will get the 24mb/sec package as well ;) So far thanks for your help, will post detailed results in the next days!

thanks again mate!!!

Dario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 murphy20

i also have the same problem could u help me out please but im not in the city centre but the exact same thing happened me i rang up and was only told my line could support 2mb but there was a new line just put in last week ?? very disappointing especially i was hoping for a way more than 2mb when i signed up to eircom :(

Help please

murphy20 wrote: »
    Help please

Hi murphy20,

Can you PM me with your tel no: please and I can look into the speed capability and order you placed.

Thanks, Mark

sorry to bother you again but . i really want to stream on my internet on twitch tv and my upload is 0.5mbs is there anyway of boosting it up to 1.5mbs? thanks in advance .. murphy20 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭eircom: Linda

sorry to bother you again but . i really want to stream on my internet on twitch tv and my upload is 0.5mbs is there anyway of boosting it up to 1.5mbs? thanks in advance .. murphy20 :)

Hi murphy20

I have looked into your line and broadband capability speeds and I can see the downstream is synced at: 7168kbps, this is the maximum speed your line can hold. As your current package is NGB regular the maximum speeds are "up to":
    Download 8,192kbps
    Upload 512kbps

So I'm afraid it's not possible to increase the upload speed.

Regards
    Linda

• Advertisement

oh ok thanks linda :) i got a new netgear broadband box , any idea how i set it up with eircom ? :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

oh ok thanks linda i got a new netgear broadband box , any idea how i set it up with eircom ?
    Hi murphy20

For advice in setting up a netgear modem with eircom broadband please follow this link : http://bit.ly/125GaXU

Regards

Al

Advertisement