Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking pictures of a crime

• 12-04-2012 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I wonder would anyone have some info on this...

I saw children breaking into a building didn't know them and took photo of them. I then rang the Garda and told them they were in site. 30 mins later they came out and I rang back Garda to tell them they were gone but that I had a photo of them climbing out.

Guess what! I got the wrap on my knuckles for taking the photo and was told I should delete it.

What exactly is the law regarding images of children when they are breaking the law -surely privacy law doesn't come into it or publishing since I wasn't actually going in to print it.

And just out of interest I was also told by the Garda that they were very busy to which I responded - you are meant to be!

Do you think this is the case???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is probably a legal discussion but afaik there is nothing wrong with taking pics of anything in public.
    It's not up to the guards to decide whether you were in the wrong in this case, it's up to the public prosecutor and a court.
    The guards might arrest you on suspicion of wrong-doing but someone else decides.

M2C - keep the pics but don't publish them. If the guards ask for public assistance in solving the burglary you can send them the images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

You might be allowed to take pictures of a public place, but you are NOT (AFAIK) allowed to take pictures of minors without their parents/guardians expressed permission. For, what I'd have thought were obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Zulu wrote: »
    you are NOT (AFAIK) allowed to take pictures of minors without their parents/guardians expressed permission. For, what I'd have thought were obvious reasons.

That's not true at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

thesocial wrote: »

I saw children breaking into a building didn't know them and took photo of them. I then rang the Garda and told them they were in site. 30 mins later they came out and I rang back Garda to tell them they were gone but that I had a photo of them climbing out.

Guess what! I got the wrap on my knuckles for taking the photo and was told I should delete it.

What exactly is the law regarding images of children when they are breaking the law -surely privacy law doesn't come into it or publishing since I wasn't actually going in to print it.

And just out of interest I was also told by the Garda that they were very busy to which I responded - you are meant to be!

Thanks

Laziness from the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Absolutely as M & H said - this will be the guards going - oh s*** now we might actually have to go an find these kids!

On the whole I have a lot of respect for the Gardai - but when it comes to people reporting crime they really are just plain lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Zulu wrote: »
    You might be allowed to take pictures of a public place, but you are NOT (AFAIK) allowed to take pictures of minors without their parents/guardians expressed permission. For, what I'd have thought were obvious reasons.

Totally incorrect. There is no special protection for minors in that regard. You can take pictures of anyone - minor or adult, in a public place. You do not need permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jowls

Paulw wrote: »
    Totally incorrect. There is no special protection for minors in that regard. You can take pictures of anyone - minor or adult, in a public place. You do not need permission.

Also totally incorrect. Its much more complicated than that. See Peck, Von Hannover, Hickey, etc.

I think the Gardai are wrong here though. Privacy doesnt apply to protect criminal behaviour. It does sound more like laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Jowls wrote: »
    Also totally incorrect. Its much more complicated than that. See Peck, Von Hannover, Hickey, etc.

Those seem much more to do with the usage of the images, rather than the legality of the taking of the images.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been at theatres etc where minors have been actors and we've then been asked to refrain from photography because of "Child Protection Policy". But I think this is only a request and not actual law.

Some info http://www.digitalrights.ie/2006/05/09/photographers-rights/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

When you say it was children breaking into a building do you mean a burglary or was it some old disused building? If they were committing a crime then the Garda was wrong. If they were just playing in a way you didn't like then you were wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thesocial

Interesting replies thanks guys and magicsean you are right but I don't think breaking into a locked premises should ever be considered a form of playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

biko wrote: »
    I've been at theatres etc where minors have been actors and we've then been asked to refrain from photography because of "Child Protection Policy". But I think this is only a request and not actual law.

The theatre is not quite a public place compared to the street, so that policy is likely to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

thesocial wrote: »

Thanks

Nothing wrong in what you did. The only problem is you leave yourself open to having your camera/phone seized as evidence, if the police had acted accordingly & correctly.

It appears to be laziness on their part & this type of behavior doesn't encourage the public to be vigilant. Around my area the police are generally very good but there are some seriously lazy ones as well.

Well done for your actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

biko wrote: »

In reality shows with children should have the children dressed in adequate clothing.

Advertisement