Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband that has a high/unlimited download limit AND do not require a home phone?

• 12-04-2012 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I live in dunboyne and have no home phone, i was wondering is there any internets that do not require a home phone line and have a a big or unlimited download limit? im currently with 3 but it only has a 60gig download limit, and since im a gamer/games programmer this is not ideal, especially since ive joined onlive XD is there any internets that do not use a home phone line and have a huge or unlimited download usage? i heard of simply broadband and wimax but i dont know if these use a home phone line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

UPC. No phoneline needed. They have a fair usage policy obviously but I do a lot of gaming and downloading but have yet to hear a peep out of them. Typical speeds of 25mb ( I get 24 beside the router) although I know 50 and 100mb are soon to be available to everyone. I get a pretty low ping also. Customer service isnt great though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, pretty much as Denise says, assuming you are in an area covered by UPC you don't need to have a phoneline, although it's usually cheaper on the higher packages to take the UPC phoneline than not, even if you don't use it.

good speeds, 25, 50 or 100mbps and with a wired connection most people get close to the rated speeds (unlike DSL), although wireless tends to top out at between 50-70mbps depending on what wireless standard you are using and interference from neighbours are also using wifi etc.

customer service is ranges from okay to abysmal with the emphasis on the side of abysmal most of the time, unless you are lucky enough to get onto someone with a brain, but most ISP's offer a similar level of customer service due to a high turnover of staff, so it's not a uniquely UPC thing.

UPC will only allow you to go slightly over the 500GB per month AUP once, after that you will be charged €30 a month more and dropped speed to 30mb, that is, if you are on the 100mb package.

Advertisement