Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New apartment - gas locked

Options
  • 12-04-2012 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have just moved into a new apartment which I rented through an agency. I called up Electric Ireland to switch the gas and electricity into my name however was informed that the gas is locked. I called Bord Gais who confirmed that the gas is listed as locked for the address and it would cost €140 to unlock.

I explained that the gas was not locked as it has been working since I moved in last week. The Bord Gais rep then replied that it would have to be checked as had probably been unlocked without authorization. The gas is in the landlord's name.

I contacted the agency, told them all this and am waiting to hear from them. I'm guessing that an ex tenant must have left big arrears and the gas was cut off which then the landlord unlocked himself.

Any advice on this? As a tenant I can surely not be liable to pay for the gas to be unlocked as a home must have heat/power right????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

You have a lease stating your move in date so cannot be charged for anything that occurred before that date. Did you get a start reading off the meter with the agent on your move in day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

You won't be liable for any arrears with bills, but you'll still have to pay the reconnection charge though. Doesn't matter whose fault it is that it got cut off, if you want it turned back on, there has to be an appointment, and you or your LL will have to pay for that. But BG won't care and will refuse to get involved as to who pays, they just won't reconnect without the money. €140 seems a lot, normally it's €70 or thereabouts with Electric Ireland to get it reconnected if I remember right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Sparky85 wrote: »
    You have a lease stating your move in date so cannot be charged for anything that occurred before that date. Did you get a start reading off the meter with the agent on your move in day ?

Yes photographed and recorded the meters with the agent on the day we moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ms.cutie

I am in the same situation...can you tell me how you sorted it out??! Please :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

This is a landlord issue. He/She should have a deposit to cover this eventuality. A good landlord can always check the position with a utility account. The property has now been advertised with gas/electric etc. If not available then the lease dosent stand up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

No matter what the previous tenant has done, it is not up to you to have the gas switched back on, nor should you have to pay for it.
    This is totally the Landlord's responsibility.
    What has the LL said?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

token101 wrote: »
    €140 seems a lot, normally it's €70 or thereabouts with Electric Ireland to get it reconnected if I remember right.

+1

Reconnection with Electric Ireland is 70 for gas or 80 for electricity.

Advertisement