Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy exhaust

• 12-04-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I think I might have a hole in my exhaust. It sounds like that, and its been getting louder for the last few weeks.

I got under the car last night to see if I could see any black marks from a hole or anything but I couldn't see anything.

How can I tell if its something that can be fixed by someone handy with a welder or if I need it replaced?
    And if I need it replaced, ballpark figure for an exhaust for a 98 corolla?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

kiddums wrote: »
    Hi all,

I think I might have a hole in my exhaust. It sounds like that, and its been getting louder for the last few weeks.

I got under the car last night to see if I could see any black marks from a hole or anything but I couldn't see anything.

How can I tell if its something that can be fixed by someone handy with a welder or if I need it replaced?
    And if I need it replaced, ballpark figure for an exhaust for a 98 corolla?

You need to find the source of the leak first, post a pic up and the posters here will give an opinion on what is possible.

Have a look at the joints, the heads of the bolts have a tendency to corrode away and allow the joint to open.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Sometimes it will sound as though the exhaust is blowing when you rev the engine, and then when cruising the noise wont be as loud. The flexible join in the exhaust can break and when the torque of the engine pulls the engine forward on its mount the flexi stretches and you will hear the exhaust gas escaping through the gap. Best get her jacked up and checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Avns1s wrote: »
    You need to find the source of the leak first, post a pic up and the posters here will give an opinion on what is possible.

Have a look at the joints, the heads of the bolts have a tendency to corrode away and allow the joint to open.
    I'll get a picture on Friday. I won't get under it till then.
    AzureAuto wrote: »
    Sometimes it will sound as though the exhaust is blowing when you rev the engine, and then when cruising the noise wont be as loud. The flexible join in the exhaust can break and when the torque of the engine pulls the engine forward on its mount the flexi stretches and you will hear the exhaust gas escaping through the gap. Best get her jacked up and checked.
    That sounds like it. The noise is worse under rev's and not as bad when cruising.
    I'll try and get a better look under it tomorrow.

Advertisement