Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertising rights

Options
  • 12-04-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi All,

I recently set up a discount store and I am wondering can I put a poster in my window that says

Think (Insert Name) is cheap ? you should see our Prices!

The name being inserted is a Large Supermarket and I am wondering if I can do it without legal implications?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You need to stay away from generic comments to avoid any grey area

By all means you can say "Think Tesco is cheap ? you should see our Prices!"

and then have a list of comparison prices

"Our Milk 1 Tesco Milk €2" etc etc

At the end of the poster in small writing put something like :

"Price survey conducted on dd/mm/yy. Competitor price receipt available on request. Competitor price may change at anytime."

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Thanks Hammertime,

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Can I also ask people's feedback on Flyers? I set up my buisness in a area with 16,000 homes , As far as I know I am the only discount store in my area.

I plan to get 5000 flyers , just wondering what time of conversion buisness generally get from flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I plan to get 5000 flyers , just wondering what time of conversion buisness generally get from flyers.

I believe a 1% conversion rate would be deemed successful. You have the time it takes from the letterbox to the bin to get your message across so keep it short and snappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

also if you want to keep your costs down and only get 5000 per cycle rotate the houses that get the leaflets so people wont get pissed with a leaflet coming in each week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

I was never a big fan of flyers.. any national papers (munster express) or perhaps a weekly local community noticeboard that can help you out for cheaper rates ?

I find with flyers people dont ever bloody read the things and the ones that do might not even need a discount store, you kinda know yourself who is your target market and what segment u should be targeting .. So ideally advertising where that market operate, or read or perhaps frequent.
    I have seen an old boss of mine send 2500 flyers with costs of around 2800+ vat inc delivery and having gotten 6 phone calls related to it over the course of 3 weeks....
    I would have thought better return on investment with a local weekly paper for 10 weeks ??
    I just feel he threw **** at a wall and was hoping it would stick with no ideas about who was ever going to read it.. and how he was going to get his money back from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

He should have gotten 25000 fliers for that! Even for a flier,

Local newspapers are not what they once were unfortunately, but if there is one that fits the area you serve it can certainly work though.

The following is going beyond the original question, but I think it is worth considering.

You need to think about your positioning beyond 'cheap'. It depends what sort of area this is. But many people shop for value, to a greater or lesser extent, not for the cheapest stuff. Poorer people tend to be more conservative too in respect of what they will try - at least that is the traditional picture -. The thinking is that they cannot afford to make a mistake in what they purchase so they will stick with what they know will be acceptable. It is worth thinking too about how brand names effect your prospective customers.

Advertisement