Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice/Opinions Please

• 12-04-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi. I`m looking for some advice and opinions on careers in the Merchant Navy.

Basically I`m 25 years old and have a good Science degree. Unfortunately I finished college a few years ago and there wasn`t a whole pile of work for graduates here. I`ve worked at sea the last 12 years part-time in the aquaculture industury, inshore fishing, etc. Working in construction at the moment. Not a bit afraid of hard work. I love the sea and I am happiest when working there. Only started reading about Merchant Navy the last few months.Ive done a LOT LOT of research the last few months and the way of life/work in the merchant navy definitely appeals to me.

However there is also a lot of coflicting information on the internet regarding the future of European Officers in the Merchant Navy. While my age 25 is not an issue for me, I`ve only gotten sense the last year or so :), I dont want to be walking out of another degree at 29 and find there is no work/ opportunities there for me.

It is deck officer in the offshore/oil/LNG industuries that interests me.

So I`m looking for your experiences of current and in your opinion future Working Conditions, Pay, Job prospectus, Any other relevant info for European Deck Officers.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

mad4beer wrote: »
    However there is also a lot of coflicting information on the internet regarding the future of European Officers in the Merchant Navy. While my age 25 is not an issue for me, I`ve only gotten sense the last year or so :), I dont want to be walking out of another degree at 29 and find there is no work/ opportunities there for me.

Definitely go for it, coming from someone who's just got into the industry it's worth the pursue! The best of it I find is you can still come home from a contract compared to having to emigrate potentially forever so you get the best of both worlds (home & away)
    I trained with a lad who was in his early 30's after having a successful career in ordnance surveying and wanted to take it to the water and is very successful and satisfied now.
    It is deck officer in the offshore/oil/LNG industuries that interests me.

So I`m looking for your experiences of current and in your opinion future Working Conditions, Pay, Job prospectus, Any other relevant info for European Deck Officers.

Having trained and now working on cruise, cargo & oil there is huge growth in the industry still, particularly in the LNG and they are hungry for officers, both deck and engineering!
    If you can keep your hard work attitude throughout it'll pay off tremendously in the long run because it is a hard slog going through college again (ask the navy lads who go through with their own degrees first obtained)

Advertisement