Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash or Card

• 12-04-2012 10:34am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Just flicking through another thread there and someone said cash is king. Yea, cash is king if you fancy some impulse shopping.

Personally, I never ever carry cash on me. Everything I pay for goes on my cards. I find it stops me needlessly buying junk in the shops. If I've change on me it's too tempting to just nip in an get a coke or whatever.

People who say paying by card is slower than cash, try getting stuck behind some auld one paying for her food with a couch worth of coins.

Do you use cash or card?

Cash or Card 88 votes

Cash
    0% 0 votes
    Card
    100% 88 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Both!

But I bet the AULD WAN is not in negative equity, is frugal, and doesn't have to worry about credit card interest!

Remember, you will be AULD some day too!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

99% of the time cash, card only for bigger purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Card I'd say about 95% of the time. There are a few places that either don't take cards or don't take them for less than €10 spend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Neither, I barter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

suitseir wrote: »
    Remember, you will be AULD some day too!:D

Yea an I'll still have a card so I'll continue to use that :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

card - never carry cash other than when drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Yea, cash is king if you fancy some impulse shopping.

Personally, I never ever carry cash on me. Everything I pay for goes on my cards. I find it stops me needlessly buying junk in the shops. If I've change on me it's too tempting to just nip in an get a coke or whatever.

Oh dear lord, God forbid if you went in to a shop and bought yourself a can of coke, what has the world come too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Cash is king! Just like Bertie, I only deal in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

biko wrote: »
    99% of the time cash, card only for bigger purchases.

This.

I like to pay with cash for most things as I feel I have more grasp over my money and how much I have left. If I use my card all the time I lose track of how much I'm spending. Cards only for the large purchases.

Using a card in a pub or a bar though :mad: That's a big no no for me.

darokane wrote: »
    Oh dear lord, God forbid if you went in to a shop and bought yourself a can of coke, what has the world come too!

It was an example. Shops sell other things funnily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I find I spend more when I use the card, cause it's like a "magic card" with endless money (I wish) you don't realize how much your spending :( - then you check your bank AC aftyer a hard day shopping & spending and say to yourself - "sh*t how much did I spend shopping yesterday" Beans & toast for dinner this week it is :P

When you take out cash , you know exactly how much your spending. Take out the required cash and leave the "magic card" in the car or at home when entering the shopping center.

Credit cards are just dangerous all together :rolleyes: they are the best invention ever - until you realize you have the pay the money back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Use my laser cards most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Yea an I'll still have a card so I'll continue to use that :p

Of course you will.............my mother-in-law who only died recently was in her late 80's and always used a laser card! She was one of the first auld wans that I knew who used a ATM card when they came out first but then "moved onto" the laser and credit card! I was still using cash and cheques and this lady was educating me into card use! AND I worked in the Bank!

But remember, you WILL be that auld wan some day trying to key in your pin numbers SLOWLY and causing a queue!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭brimal

Card all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Half and half I suppose, whatever is easiest at the time.

Sweden looks like being the first to go cashless.
    I can see over time, others going the same way.

A short section from one of many articles available:
    Sweden could be first country to go cashless as even churches are taking cards for offerings

In most Swedish cities, public buses don't accept cash - tickets are prepaid or purchased with a cell phone text message.
    A small, but growing number of businesses only take cards and some bank offices — which make money on electronic transactions — have stopped handling cash altogether.
    'There are towns where it isn't at all possible anymore to enter a bank and use cash,' complains Curt Persson, chairman of Sweden's National Pensioners' Organization.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2117643/Sweden-Country-cashless-churches-accepting-cards-offerings.html

* http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/sweden-goes-cashless-the-world-may-soon-follow/

* http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57399610/sweden-moving-towards-cashless-economy/

* http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/03/cashless_sweden_no_atm_fees_total_loss_of_freedom.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Card I'd say about 95% of the time. There are a few places that either don't take cards or don't take them for less than €10 spend

This always struck me as strange one of my local shops won't allow me to use my debit card for purchases under €10 but the other one will take any amount. What's the downside for the shop? Surely they are encouraged to use a cashless system (although what the banks will and will not do nowadays leaves me baffled, you'd swear they hate cash).

Granted I know now to have cash on me if going to the first one but I always feel sorry for the people who are caught out then have to go to the ATM at the back of the shop while the till monkey stands there flicking her nails as she cannot void the previous transactions until the customer comes back with cash and god forbid she'd use the second till even though the queue keeps growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I use my lazer as much as possible. Any cash i have on me gets spent on rubbish so not carrying cash saves me on impulse buying.

I avoid using the crdit card exept for large purchases and online when a lazer option is not available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Card mostly now, but for anything under a tenner id usually do cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

credit card or debit card vs cash?

got a visa debit card(moved bank) and its great because you cant us laser on most internet sites.

also it faster to update to your account so no over spend

plus im paranoid of money slipping out my pockets

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

People who say paying by card is slower than cash, try getting stuck behind some auld one paying for her food with a couch worth of coins.

Try getting stuck behind some auld one paying for anything with her card. First she still has to root around in the hand bag for the loose card, then has to examine it at the tip of her nose for 20 seconds. Now we proceed to wait as she ignores the cashier and tries to insert the card the wrong way for the 4th time.

Now comes the longest part. Remembering the PIN! Oh what was it now. Que another minute whilst she turns the cogs. Oh yes it was such n such cos I remember the war was won in that year or someone was born....

Now when it turns out that that pin was the wrong one or the card was declined, the auld dear suddenly remembers that it was a different card she was supposed to use as that one was expired 2 years ago...

Before you ask, they will still have trouble with the contactless cards when/if they come about. Also you can of course be saved a few minutes of waiting behind this type of person if they hand their card straight to the cashier, but that only saves so many steps, they still have to remember their pin.

I honestly prefer card, but I don't get one people point card out as better with an example of auld ones at checkouts with purse of coins. They are slow at all methods of payment. Card for me on most transactions these days and I try to carry less cash. Like above it gets spent on rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Too much fraud has occurred with Debit\Credit cards, ya know skimming and the likes. Plus the govt tax on cards is also an incentive to use cash.

I can honestly say I've never had such hassle with elderly folk paying by card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

This thread reminds me how much i simply love standing behind someone in tesco trying to pay with their card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Person comes into my shop and tries to buy €2.50 headphones with a card.

I tell them I can't accept cards for anything under a tenner.

Person looks furious and sickened so much that they pull out a fistful of coins from their pocket. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Person comes into my shop and tries to buy €2.50 headphones with a card.

I tell them I can't accept cards for anything under a tenner.

Person looks furious and sickened so much that they pull out a fistful of coins from their pocket. :confused:

I could imagine the look on their faces if something cost €9.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

This thread reminds me how much i simply love standing behind someone in tesco trying to pay with their card

and how great it is when Im the only one in the queue thats actually ready to pay before I get to the till. It still astounds me why people decide to get their payment ready AFTER bagging it all up? Were they super busy while standing in queue with a blank expression on their face? Where they simply not expecting to have to pay or what? Is it that tough to take the time to get approx cash or card ready to go rather than hold everyone up rooting around for it later on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I use laser and CC for some things, but when I am in getting a 'quick' coffee, and the person in front of me is using their cc/laser to pay for a €1.50 coffee, ANNOYS THE HELL OUTTA ME!!!!

Take €20 out of your account, or if you dont have €20 in your account dont use your card for such a small amount, delaying everyone,(happens more often than you'd think) as the staff person doesnt really care/pay attention to the money going through so can leave the person standing there with their card in the machine waiting for the staff to process it. BAH!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Plazaman wrote: »
    This always struck me as strange one of my local shops won't allow me to use my debit card for purchases under €10 but the other one will take any amount. What's the downside for the shop? Surely they are encouraged to use a cashless system (although what the banks will and will not do nowadays leaves me baffled, you'd swear they hate cash).

Granted I know now to have cash on me if going to the first one but I always feel sorry for the people who are caught out then have to go to the ATM at the back of the shop while the till monkey stands there flicking her nails as she cannot void the previous transactions until the customer comes back with cash and god forbid she'd use the second till even though the queue keeps growing.

I always presumed it was to pressure you into buying more stuff to make it up to a tenner. There's no logic behind a company like Lidl refusing custom for the sake of a 10c bank charge.

I use my card about 85% of the time, cash only for the markets.

• Advertisement

hightower1 wrote: »
    and how great it is when Im te only one in the queue thats actually ready to pay before I get to the till. It still astounds me why people decide to get their payment ready AFTER bagging it all up?

O' get over it for gods sake!

If they had their card/cash ready, the process will be speeded up by what, a few seconds?
    Jeasus H Christ!
    Is your life moving that fast that you can't spare extra seconds at a ruddy till?
    Jeasus your life must be moving at a constant bloody hectic speed!

If they were as quick as possible paying, handing over their card first, instead we would still get people possibly moaning over "Jeasus, they take all day to fill their bags" instead!

Moan, moan over stupid seconds spent at a till.
    Jeasus, what a sad life it must be to be that bitter over such a small thing at the end of the day!

There are far bigger things to give out about!
    Sad, just sad!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Biggins wrote: »
    O' get over it for gods sake!

If they had their card/cash ready, the process will be speeded up by what, a few seconds?
    Jeasus H Christ!
    Is your life moving that fast that you can't spare extra seconds at a ruddy till?
    Jeasus your life must be moving at a constant bloody hectic speed!

If they were as quick as possible paying, handing over their card first, instead we would still get people possibly moaning over "Jeasus, they take all day to fill their bags" instead!

Moan, moan over stupid seconds spent at a till.
    Jeasus, what a sad life it must be to be that bitter over such a small thing at the end of the day!

There are far bigger things to give out about!
    Sad, just sad!

Yeah yeah, hurry it along, gramps!

Yeah yeah, hurry it along, gramps!

My point exactly.
    We will all reach that age too - if we are lucky.
    What is that line from the Ferris Bueller’s Day Off film?

“Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”

Are some peoples lives so important that for maybe once in a week at a supermarket queue, that a few extra seconds is going to kill them?
    Thats one sad life to live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

My point exactly.
    We will all reach that age too - if we are lucky.
    What is that line from the Ferris Bueller’s Day Off film?

“Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”

Are some peoples lives so important that for maybe once in a week at a supermarket queue, that a few extra seconds is going to kill them?
    Thats one sad life to live!

Why should my life be slowed by some twit unprepared for what he or she knew was coming? I typically go to the supermarket after a long days work to pick up bits and pieces ... standing in a queue in a supermarket at that time of day is probably the last place on earth I want to be and I def dont want that time extended by some dope staring witlessly around fumbling with cards reciting ferris beuler lines. If you want to stand around ejoying the ambiance of supermarket music and the beeping of tills then go right on ahead, just dont hold others up while you soak it all in yeah.

hightower1 wrote: »
    Why should my life be slowed by some twit unprepared for what he or she knew was coming? I typically go to the supermarket after a long days work to pick up bits and pieces ... standing in a queue in a supermarket at that time of day is probably thwe last place on earth I want to be and I def dont want that time extended by some dope staring witlessly around fumbling with cards reciting ferris beuler lines.

*sigh*

Some day that WILL be you in front! Like it or not, deny it or not.
    Its a sad life to have, to be so bitter over something so really small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I use cash for small transactions and my visa debit card for larger purchases (supermarkets etc). Try to avoid using the credit card unless I know I'll clear the bill that month.

It doesn't have to be an either / or situation. There's room for both methods of payment.

If people are that worried about impulse cash purchases like cans of coke etc then maybe they should stay at home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Why is it such a big deal to use cards in Ireland? Even here in England you can buy a drink on card or leave it behind the bar and start a tab, in 99% of pubs (some may have a 10 minimum). Paying by card in Dublin seems to be frowned upon in bars. Over here all bank cards are debit cards, mostly visa debit, is Ireland still prehistoric when it comes to that, with the Laser cards etc? I don't like carrying cash these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Typically cash for single purchases <= €50 and card above that. That's more because I'm rarely carrying more than €50 cash, not some kind of conscious choice.

My Dad uses a lot of cash, always has. He used to go to the bank every Friday and take out a few hundred punts to cover him for the next week. Even now I'd still expect to see €200 in his wallet at a minimum.

i usually use cards, im useless for carrying cash around

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Why is it such a big deal to use cards in Ireland? Even here in England you can buy a drink on card or leave it behind the bar and start a tab, in 99% of pubs (some may have a 10 minimum). Paying by card in Dublin seems to be frowned upon in bars. Over here all bank cards are debit cards, mostly visa debit, is Ireland still prehistoric when it comes to that, with the Laser cards etc? I don't like carrying cash these days.

Was in the Laughter Lounge (Dublin branch) this week, again I noted that even the waiters/waitresses with their trays have credit card payment facility - and that was just for paying for a round of drinks.
    Its a common normal thing now. Here at home and especially abroad.

Cash is going out in a lot of ways. There is pro's and cons to it - buts thats the way things are heading.
    People better get used to it. They can still give out about it but thats the way things are going.
    Adapt or die moaning over their notes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

depends what I'm buying really, would usually have a 20 in my wallet or a couple of 2 euro coins for small things like coffee or whatever.

what I cant understand is people who dont have either laser or credit cards, how do you function? I hear it all the time at work "its more convenient to pay in the post office" how?! you have to travel someplace to make a payment that takes days to arrive instead of calling out a number that goes through instantly and its more convenient?

oh and people who pay for things in shops with cheques, die in a fire, unless its something being bought for a company and the paperwork is needed then just stop, its not the 1980's anymore, take your timewasting IOUs and stop taking up staff and other customers time with your antiquated method of payment.

• Advertisement

Was in the Laughter Lounge (Dublin branch) this week, again I noted that even the waiters/waitresses with their trays have credit card payment facility - and that was just for paying for a round of drinks.
    Its a common normal thing now. Here at home and especially abroad.

Cash is going out in a lot of ways. There is pro's and cons to it - buts thats the way things are heading.
    People better get used to it. They can still give out about it but thats the way things are going.
    Adapt or die moaning over their notes...

wait till using your phone to pay for things comes in and people are terrified of this technology, Irish people in general seem to be really slow to adapt new methods of doing things, less so the younger generations. its a big thing in america already, swipe your phone over a point to pay for subways, coffee in starbucks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I prefer to pay by debit card when I can - there's something not quite logical about going - atm-shop-atm-shop, etc when you could just stick your card into a machine at a shop!

This ideal is scuppered, of course, by the retailers who impose a €10 minimum. Absolute farce. I once did a bit of shopping in a particular SuperValu, it came to €9.70 or something. The atm in the shop happened to out of order and i though I had about €9.40 on me. The till woman wouldn't take my card - i explained the atm was out of order - still nothing. Luckily, I did find enough change (in an inside coat pocket) to meet her demands. So I wasn;t forced to put stuff back on the shelves.

Redonkulous. This whole "we'll all be paying with our mobiles soon" talk you hear sometimes is made a joke of when shops woun't even take cards for purchases below a certain limit. Backward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

you forgot to add something..."at the self service till"...

krudler wrote: »
    wait till using your phone to pay for things comes in and people are terrified of this technology, Irish people in general seem to be really slow to adapt new methods of doing things, less so the younger generations. its a big thing in america already, swipe your phone over a point to pay for subways, coffee in starbucks etc.

Yep, was in Nice (Southern France) again recently and yet again, I paid for 95% of my stuff by card - as did the wife - and that included everything from hotel bill, to meals and/or separate drinks in various places, to clothes and cinema tickets and shows.
    Actually in two places when I pulled out cash, they looked surprised.

This country is so far behind in some practises (as well as many other things) but already far used elsewhere, attitudes to ways of living that it reflects badly on us that we are so far behind in attitude to these things alone.

I prefer to pay by debit card when I can - there's something not quite logical about going - atm-shop-atm-shop, etc when you could just stick your card into a machine at a shop!

This ideal is scuppered, of course, by the retailers who impose a €10 minimum. Absolute farce. I once did a bit of shopping in a particular SuperValu, it came to €9.70 or something. The atm in the shop happened to out of order and i though I had about €9.40 on me. The till woman wouldn't take my card - i explained the atm was out of order - still nothing. Luckily, I did find enough change (in an inside coat pocket) to meet her demands. So I wasn;t forced to put stuff back on the shelves.

Redonkulous. This whole "we'll all be paying with our mobiles soon" talk you hear sometimes is made a joke of when shops woun't even take cards for purchases below a certain limit. Backward.

it is coming though, I work for a phone company and they'll be pushing it in the next 12 months, theres serious money being invested in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

it is coming though, I work for a phone company and they'll be pushing it in the next 12 months, theres serious money being invested in it.

I have no doubt. It's a very logical step. Cash is actually just another transaction cost....printing, minding, banking, transporting...

But try explaining that to Mr. Local Supervalu........

Yep. Its already standard practise elsewhere.
    ...From a link I provided in this thread:
    In most Swedish cities, public buses don't accept cash; tickets are prepaid or purchased with a cell phone text message.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57399610/sweden-moving-towards-cashless-economy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yeah I like the card because it saves me from always taking out 50 and not knowing where it went to once I broke into it, but I take out cash more than I need to just incase somewhere doesnt take cards or its small purchase so again I'm taking out more than I need.

I don't fancy the idea of paying by phone, its the one thing I've lost the most/only thing I've ever had stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Laser card. I rarely use cash.

saa wrote: »
    Yeah I like the card because it saves me from always taking out 50 and not knowing where it went to once I broke into it, but I take out cash more than I need to just incase somewhere doesnt take cards or its small purchase so again I'm taking out more than I need.

I don't fancy the idea of paying by phone, its the one thing I've lost the most/only thing I've ever had stolen.

thats the downside alright. although that being said I've never lost a phone, not one and I got my first phone in 1998. one of my exes used to lose a phone every other month without fail, that was her own carelessness though. guess its different for guys we have pockets not handbags on nights out so you always have the essential phone, keys,wallet bulges :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement