Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash or Card

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Person comes into my shop and tries to buy €2.50 headphones with a card.

I tell them I can't accept cards for anything under a tenner.

Person looks furious and sickened so much that they pull out a fistful of coins from their pocket. :confused:

Why exactly ? Just to be a cnut ?

Now you are 2.50 up and have an unhappy customer, who will most likely never return.

Bravo !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I used to work in retail and much prefered people paying with laser, its just handier, less change to be worrying about, not as many cash drops, hands dont smell like mouldy copper coins etc. some money is disgusting, more than once I got notes with blood on them, dont even want to know where they came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Redonkulous. This whole "we'll all be paying with our mobiles soon" talk you hear sometimes is made a joke of when shops woun't even take cards for purchases below a certain limit. Backward.
    To be fair though, they're not doing this for the sake of avoiding cards, they're doing this because the banks charge small retailers a per-transaction fee.
    So if someone buys €10 worth petrol, on which the retailer might make a profit of 10c, but they pay with card for a transaction fee of 50c, it'll cost the retailer 40c to sell you petrol.

It's generally only a problem for the likes of petrol stations and small shops where they sell things like petrol or phone credit which have tiny profit margins. It's one of the main reasons why they allow those ATMs to take up space in the corner of the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Overflow wrote: »
    Why exactly ? Just to be a cnut ?

Now you are 2.50 up and have an unhappy customer, who will most likely never return.

Bravo !

I think the story goes...there's a cost involved for the retailer...

EDIT - See above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

krudler wrote: »
    it is coming though, I work for a phone company and they'll be pushing it in the next 12 months, theres serious money being invested in it.

I've witnessed this unsettling procedure on BBC's Click and it was mentioned that there is then however the problem with phones being stolen. I'm no technophobe but phones are the most commonly stolen item a person carries when using them especially.
    I know theres a PIN system in place (just as with a card) but if a phone gets lost/stolen you also have the added worry about your financial details and all the changes that then have to be made - I mean if a thief can skim and clone a card, how easy would it be for him to break through the technology and make a big purchase (say a laptop) in the minutes after the theft?
    Also would this be forcing people to purchase a smart phone they might otherwise not want/can't afford? Or is it just a personal choice option instead of carrying (the hefty weight :)) of a credit/debit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

cash for the pub. debit card for everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

I try to use my laser card more than cash, just because it's safer than carrying around cash i.e if my bag or purse ever got stolen I wouldn't lose all my money. Most of our local pubs and the local nightclub take cards so I rarely even bring cash on a night out now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

seamus wrote: »
    ...It's generally only a problem for the likes of petrol stations and small shops where they sell things like petrol or phone credit which have tiny profit margins. It's one of the main reasons why they allow those ATMs to take up space in the corner of the shop.

Nearest garage to me (one of a huge chain) had a cash machine but got rid of it after a while.
    They allowed then the card system for goods to be paid for - if the goods amounted to over a tenner.
    While they were doing this, they then upped all their prices.

It being a convenience shop as such, one might expect to pay more and I can see the argument why some goods must be over a tenner to be worth the shops effort but if they take away cash machines as they did in the one nearest to me, you get (and I have seen this) people buying stuff just to be over a 'tenner' so they can avail of their card, not having enough cash on them.
    The shop wins more so because people to some extent are forced into buying more stuff to be able to use their card and the shop wins (again) by having more stuff purchased at slightly higher than normal prices - bigger profit margins with each of those items alone!

I think the story goes...there's a cost involved for the retailer...

EDIT - See above

Naturally there's the fair argument that retailers should operate on a win some-lose some basis and take the loss in the hope that it turns into repeat business.

But there are then other arguments that the guy who just buys €10 phone credit will probably never buy anything except €10 phone credit from you, and if you allow him to pay card once, he will always use his card and he will never turn into a profit-generating customer in the long run.
    In some places (think a garage on the side of a dual carriageway), repeat business isn't that big a concern because their model is based on passing business, people coming in when they need to, not when they want to.

Otherwise there's also the issue of a one-size-fits-all approach. While it might makes sense to allow a card transaction for €5 worth of high-profit goods, how do you figure what purchases are and are not OK without having to tell people, "I've let him pay with card because I've made a €2 profit from him, but I'm not letting you pay because you're only worth 20c to me".
    If you stick with a minimum limit, it avoids red faces all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

GTFO of my way with your cards, I have real money to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I prefer paying with card. None of that fiddling about with change (it's not real money, you know).

If I withdraw £20 for groceries and spend £10.01, I know I'm just going to flit away £9.99 on rubbish I don't need. You won't realistically lodge such a small amount of money back into you current a/c, but a lot of transactions like this could result in a significant amount of waste over time.

Unless you can withdraw the amount you need exactly, paying with card has an advantage in that you only remove an amount of money from your accounts as is actually required for purchases you directly choose or plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Cards facilitate the banks in seeing exactly what you're spending your money on. Recently, a family (probably loads) who were struggling to pay their mortgage were told to shop in the German discount stores instead of Tesco......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

later12 wrote: »
    If I withdraw £20 for groceries and spend £10.01, I know I'm just going to flit away £9.99 on rubbish I don't need.

This for me as well. I never use cash if I can help it, damn ATM's only hand out 50's so purchasing even the smallest thing ends up costing that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Recently, a family (probably loads) who were struggling to pay their mortgage were told to shop in the German discount stores instead of Tesco......:eek:

And that's a fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

thats the downside alright. although that being said I've never lost a phone, not one and I got my first phone in 1998. one of my exes used to lose a phone every other month without fail, that was her own carelessness though. guess its different for guys we have pockets not handbags on nights out so you always have the essential phone, keys,wallet bulges :pac:

I've never lost it for good my card is safer in the one place in my bag I'm always taking my phone out and leaving it down in different places, I've had four phones since 2000, they all stopped turning on except for one that was pickpocketed, surprised they didn't go for my wallet, at least with money once its stolen thats it I do have a constant fear that someone will steal my card and empty my bank account D:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

hightower1 wrote: »
    Why should my life be slowed by some twit unprepared for what he or she knew was coming? I typically go to the supermarket after a long days work to pick up bits and pieces ... standing in a queue in a supermarket at that time of day is probably the last place on earth I want to be and I def dont want that time extended by some dope staring witlessly around fumbling with cards reciting ferris beuler lines. If you want to stand around ejoying the ambiance of supermarket music and the beeping of tills then go right on ahead, just dont hold others up while you soak it all in yeah.

If you are SO clever, why not weigh up the queue at the tills BEFORE you take your FEW messages and then decide where you can make a QUICK exit. FYI there are EXPRESS tills, with 10 items or less or better still, why not order your messages ONLINE and you don't have to be "on the last place on earth"! There sorted!:P

Confab wrote: »
    And that's a fair point.

Do you mean it's fair enough for a bank to do that? Regardless of whether it is or not, I don't want the bank telling me where to buy my food :mad:

Mena wrote: »
    This for me as well. I never use cash if I can help it, damn ATM's only hand out 50's so purchasing even the smallest thing ends up costing that much.

Euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bopidyboo

Mostly use my card. I think i am more disiplined about spending that way. if i have cash i spend it much quicker.

Often have to get my card replaced as it splits/cracks a good bit, dunno why though cause its always kept in my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Bopidyboo wrote: »
    Mostly use my card. I think i am more disiplined about spending that way. if i have cash i spend it much quicker.

Often have to get my card replaced as it splits/cracks a good bit, dunno why though cause its always kept in my wallet.

Card for me =D I don't like carrying cash around.

SD

• Advertisement

Do you mean it's fair enough for a bank to do that? Regardless of whether it is or not, I don't want the bank telling me where to buy my food :mad:
    Then don't ask the bank what you should spend your money on.

From what I understand, the "case" you're talking about is that the person called the bank to discuss ways of working out their money problems, and because their mortgage and current account were in the same bank, the advisor reviewed their bank statements and quite rightly gave them some tips on saving money, including not shopping in more expensive shops. Not quite so shocking a story really, is it?

The banks don't care where you spend your money so long as you either spend more than you have and get into debt, or spend very little and earn them tonnes of interest. Someone who spends what they earn without going into debt is the bank's least favourite customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

Most annoying thing ever is when some gob****e wants to pay for a can of coke with a card ! You sir can fook off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

biko wrote: »
    99% of the time cash, card only for bigger purchases.

Ill go one further. I only use my card for shopping online and a hotel when needed. I cant remember the pin and made a point not to remember it again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Biggins wrote: »
    Sweden looks like being the first to go with euthenasia

fyp. thats the only way that will work

From what I understand, the "case" you're talking about is that the person called the bank to discuss ways of working out their money problems, and because their mortgage and current account were in the same bank, the advisor reviewed their bank statements and quite rightly gave them some tips on saving money, including not shopping in more expensive shops. Not quite so shocking a story really, is it?

The banks don't care where you spend your money so long as you either spend more than you have and get into debt, or spend very little and earn them tonnes of interest. Someone who spends what they earn without going into debt is the bank's least favourite customer.

Were you shocked by the story? I wasn't. Just thought it was interesting.

I think my original point still stands: Cards facilitate banks in knowing how you spend your money. They can tell if you're paying off other bills - like electricity to keep the lights on - instead of paying more to them. Why give them the information?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Malta seems to have gone a bit back in time. Some places don't even have the facility to let you pay with cards :(

Here's the type of situation I am referring to:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/banks-tell-thousands-in-trouble-cut-health-cover-3023872.html

Would anyone really ring an Irish bank for advice? MABS www.mabs.ie is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

If someone steals your credit card and spends a load you don't have to pay.

if someone steals your laser they can empty your bank account and you can't do anything about it. Right?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

it is coming though, I work for a phone company and they'll be pushing it in the next 12 months, theres serious money being invested in it.

It's been in use in places like Zambia for years. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal to introduce it in richer countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Malta seems to have gone a bit back in time. Some places don't even have the facility to let you pay with cards :(

That's.....tragic

• Advertisement

Joekers wrote: »
    Most annoying thing ever is when some gob****e wants to pay for a can of coke with a card ! You sir can fook off

this is the sort of attitude that pisses me off, people who put a face on when a card is produced, does it make a difference to you? is the same amount of money not going into your establishment?

It should be like the US, card for everything granted their systems are slightly faster over there but its so easy card for taxis, vending machines, setting up tabs in bars sooo much easier.

And i used to work in dunnes when i was in college so i have been on the other side of it and i never had an problem with people using cards, its what they are fúcking for!

suitseir wrote: »
    If you are SO clever, why not weigh up the queue at the tills BEFORE you take your FEW messages and then decide where you can make a QUICK exit. FYI there are EXPRESS tills, with 10 items or less or better still, why not order your messages ONLINE and you don't have to be "on the last place on earth"! There sorted!:P

Does anyone else do checkout profiling, i.e. picking the queue with the people most likely to be able to pay for their stuff quickly, not wander off to pick up one last thing etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Cash most of the time. I'm a student, so don't have much money going into the bank.

I use the laser now and again, if the money is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

People who say paying by card is slower than cash, try getting stuck behind some auld one paying for her food with a couch worth of coins.
    That has more to do with the person making the cash payment rather than the point that they're paying in cash. Card transactions take time every time.

shangri la wrote: »
    If someone steals your credit card and spends a load you don't have to pay.

if someone steals your laser they can empty your bank account and you can't do anything about it. Right?

Check the facts on the second point!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The only cash I take out is when I am going to the pub as my local doesn't accept laser. Everything else is purchased on the plastic. if I cant find the laser card in my big mala bag I will stick it on Visa.Online purchases go on the Credit card too.If I can't afford to pay purchases off on my credit card with in the month I wont purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Could you not just furnish us with the info if you know so much and keep the thread plodding nicely along?

Does anyone else do checkout profiling, i.e. picking the queue with the people most likely to be able to pay for their stuff quickly, not wander off to pick up one last thing etc?

Is that why you are called picarooney?......."picking the queue"........"pick up one last thing"......just wondering? only joking btw!!!!

To answer your question, I have noticed people at checkouts avoiding them if shoppers have full trolleys or kids or even AULD WANS!:rolleyes:

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Could you not just furnish us with the info if you know so much and keep the thread plodding nicely along?

OK...just from experience!!!! A PERSONAL story here..............

My son had two amounts totaling over €3k "taken" or "stolen" by a person or persons unknown using his laser card details and it was refunded by the Bank. AFAIK provided you do not disclose your PIN number, which of course, he DID NOT as it was done online. He had his suspicions that the details were used as a result of he using his card at a petrol station, a week before the incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

"Right?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I use both. Depends though. I tend to use cash as no extra cost with that when buying small amount of things or if I have enough cash on me to buy what I need and want but things that are expensive I'd use the ould card!

I have the cash on hand so as not to over spend either but the card be used on a once off bases when shopping wouldn't use it all the time except for expensive things or for online purchases. When out I use cash, don't use my card only use card when shopping or shopping online.

I try not to impulse buy at least! I think before I buy and shop around before I make a decision but then again this is the recession if you get a good bargain great but also things don't hang around in the shops that long in this recession so best to buy on the day you see them unless you only half want them then hang on a bit to see if anything better be out there at a better price. I shop sensibly though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

cash for almost everything
    card only for online or a big purchase that would be above the atm withdraw limit

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

this is the sort of attitude that pisses me off, people who put a face on when a card is produced, does it make a difference to you? is the same amount of money not going into your establishment?

It should be like the US, card for everything granted their systems are slightly faster over there but its so easy card for taxis, vending machines, setting up tabs in bars sooo much easier.

And i used to work in dunnes when i was in college so i have been on the other side of it and i never had an problem with people using cards, its what they are fúcking for!

No it's not the same amount of money going to the establishment. On a can of coke the bank charges would be higher than the profit being made from the sale.

Card tansactions are much slower as well. Let's be generous and say it takes about 30 seconds longer for each credit card transaction than a cash transaction. If you've ten people ahead of you using credit cards that's an extra 5 minutes you're waiting in a queue.
    Biggins wrote: »
    My point exactly.
    We will all reach that age too - if we are lucky.
    What is that line from the Ferris Bueller’s Day Off film?

“Life moves pretty fast. You don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it”

Are some peoples lives so important that for maybe once in a week at a supermarket queue, that a few extra seconds is going to kill them?
    Thats one sad life to live!

If I'm going to stop and look around, I'd rather do that eating my lunch than waiting to pay for it behind a queue of credit card users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Turpentine wrote: »
    No it's not the same amount of money going to the establishment. On a can of coke the bank charges would be higher than the profit being made from the sale.

Card tansactions are much slower as well. Let's be generous and say it takes about 30 seconds longer for each credit card transaction than a cash transaction. If you've ten people ahead of you using credit cards that's an extra 5 minutes you're waiting in a queue.

If I'm going to stop and look around, I'd rather do that eating my lunch than waiting to pay for it behind a queue of credit card users.

Fkin A buddy, there should be an express queue for us real money customers. "I haff card, I not speak good, My card never work" get hup ta f**k Svetlana, Im paying in notes here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Living in the Netherlands I pay for almost everything with card since there's no minimum amount- it's very handy, although it still feels a bit weird buying milk for 60c with a card!

In Ireland I usually use cash. The minimum payment with cards in a lot of places here means I usually carry cash on me at home.

Also, I find paying by card is way faster. No hanging around for change, counting out money, putting change in wallets etc. Just card in, pin and done.

• Advertisement

Why do card machines take so long to process in Ireland? Is it some outdated technology or are there extra checks in place? I remember it took almost a minute to pay for something by card last time I was there. It's about 5 seconds here.

I use the laser card for almost everything except buying drink in the pub (well the there might be the odd nightclub card transaction :pac:) and getting a sandwich for lunch and small things like that.

Its the whole pin thing that makes it slow, I was in the states a few weeks ago and you dont even have to sign for your card in a lot of places, they swipe it and hand it back with your receipt straight away other places have a quick look at your ID and you sign but even that is way quicker than entering a pin.

I liked the speed but would have reservations about the security aspect of not signing at all, I think signing and showing your ID is the best of both worlds and much quicker than entering a pin, that said it only works for credit cards you would still have to enter a pin for a debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

I use the laser card for almost everything except buying drink in the pub (well the there might be the odd nightclub card transaction :pac:) and getting a sandwich for lunch and small things like that.

Its the whole pin thing that makes it slow, I was in the states a few weeks ago and you dont even have to sign for your card in a lot of places, they swipe it and hand it back with your receipt straight away other places have a quick look at your ID and you sign but even that is way quicker than entering a pin.

I liked the speed but would have reservations about the security aspect of not signing at all, I think signing and showing your ID is the best of both worlds and much quicker than entering a pin, that said it only works for credit cards you would still have to enter a pin for a debit card.

Still not as fast as just handing over the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I'm card whenever possible. So much easier. We need to get to grips with card processing here in Ireland. I remember in America buying a coffee in a local coffeeshop, swiped my card and that was it. No pin, no signing no waiting. Was 2 seconds max. Thats what it should be like for small transactions.

Even buying a drink on alot of flights in America you have to use cards no cash allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I generally pay with card. I don't like taking 20 euro out of my account when I only wanna spend say 12, 'cause that other 8 will just end up thrown away on stuff I don't even want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement