Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant having boyfriend to stay

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Having her boyfriend over is one thing.

Causing you trouble with your neighbours and risking your safety and security by leaving the door open is something else entirely.

You should talk to her about those things and tell her that they MUST stop.

I have to say if I were in your shoes I'd be asking her to find somewhere else to live and looking for a new tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Renting a room from an owner-occupier doesn't give a person that as much rights as you'd think. It's still your house and you can lay down ground rules regarding visitors and absolutely put your foot down about having people let themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Maybe post over in accomodation and property too. You may get an insight into what is the done thing and what is considered unacceptable. As the house is owneroccupied I believe you have more rights in evicting a tennant.

I think she has a right to have her bf over but not all the time and def not staying the night unless you agree. If other people are coming over late night is it possible they are staying over or she is having parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

She is renting a room not the house and is renting a room from an owner occupier therefore she has little to no rights. She is not covered by the 2004 residential tenancy act and you can give her notice at any time. Tell her you don't want the door left unlocked or her OH coming over all the time and if she doesn't like that she can move, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Squiggler wrote: »
    Having her boyfriend over is one thing.

Causing you trouble with your neighbours and risking your safety and security by leaving the door open is something else entirely.

You should talk to her about those things and tell her that they MUST stop.

I have to say if I were in your shoes I'd be asking her to find somewhere else to live and looking for a new tenant.
    It's still your house and you can lay down ground rules regarding visitors and absolutely put your foot down about having people let themselves in.
    I agree with these posts.

Sounds like she is taking the piss when you aren't there, I'd say something to her.

If you wanted some evidence though, you could get a cheap CCTV set and have someone install it (or install it yourself if you know how) and when you say something to her, you'll have evidence.

Let her know about the CCTV though, don't do it sneakily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

She is a licensee in your house; she has next to no rights so you make the rules you want her to abide by, and if she doesnt like it/cant stick to them then ask her to leave. Its your house; make sure she knows that.

A tip for future renting; make out a set of rules and give them to potential tenants to sign before they move in. This clarifies the rules for them, and gives you something to fall back on it they cannot stick to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - we have merged your two threads for you - thanks for the heads up about the earlier one, made this easier.

Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Johnny_BravoIII

OP, is it possible you are being over-particular?
    If you wish to live alone with golden silence at the weekends then re-consider letting 2 rooms.

3 people living in one space, living busy lives will lead to plenty of activity around the house in general. Family, friends, relationships, occasions such as birthdays, holidays etc etc.

You cannot impose strict controls on this girls life.
    Is everybody who rents a room in this life suppose to sacrifice starting a relationship?

As for friends visiting when you are not even there................you're not there FFS!!!

Maybe you should try turning housemate relationship into a mate relationship, is this an opportunity for a new social circle?
    Otherwise, maybe let to 18 year old students who race home every weekend.

OP, is it possible you are being over-particular?
    If you wish to live alone with golden silence at the weekends then re-consider letting 2 rooms.

Theres golden silence and then there is the house turning into party central. I dont think there is anything wrong with the concerns that the OP has about what is going on in their house when they are not there.
    You cannot impose strict controls on this girls life.
    Is everybody who rents a room in this life suppose to sacrifice starting a relationship?

When youre letting a room out you can impose whatever rules you like; its your house and the person renting the room either lives by your rules or they find somewhere else to live.
    As for friends visiting when you are not even there................you're not there FFS!!!

And thats why I would find it even more worrying. By the sounds of it the tenant is having a lot of people over and god knows what is happening. I know that when renting a room you have to have a certain amount of trust in your tenant and you have to allow a certain amount of leeway, but when your neighbours start telling you about the goings on when you are not there then that is when you start to get concerned about it.
    Maybe you should try turning housemate relationship into a mate relationship, is this an opportunity for a new social circle?
    Otherwise, maybe let to 18 year old students who race home every weekend.

Its not a mate relationship though; at the end of the day the OP is still the landlord and its still their house. The more "matey" they get with the tenant the harder it is to deal with situations when they arise. Certain boundaries have to be maintained; its pretty obvious that this tenant has no idea where those boundaries are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I live in an owner occupied house share. We all have use of the common areas in the house and our own rooms.

When I moved in I signed a rental agreement with the landlord. Now I understand this is an absolutely worthless piece of paper, but it was good as it set out the rules and expectations of the house, such as how often we can have overnight guests, and we aren't allowed to have parties, no noise after 10, and to lock up the house at all times and a few other things. The rental agreement also states we have a lease term of 4 months, again I know its not worth anything but it works well to have some security for both of us , I paid a security deposit when I moved in, so know I can move out after 4 months and get it back.

I don't know if you set down any rules when they moved in? You could draw up an agreement now and have them sign it, as long as it is reasonable. It's not a legal document but just kind of sets the rules more iron-clad than if you just tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Hi OP

I wonder if you had your own bf how much this would actually bother you?

The guy walking in to your room was an honest mistake and it sounds like sour grapes holding on to that. It is easy to take a wrong turn in a new place.

I am an owner/occupier and to be honest I am damn lucky to have a tenant and a really cool one at that after the last nightmare I had that literally never went anywhere ever.

Plenty of people do not want to live with an owner/occupier and I am not in a financial position at the moment to be picky, so if my flatmate had a gf around every weekend, I would bite my tongue, especially if they kept to themselves and did their own thing.

Sorry if i am out of line, but I wonder how much this 'feeling like a gooseberry' is the real issue here.

If you want to live alone, live alone. But telling a tenant they can have a partner over x times a week is going to grate and be prepared they may well move out.

As for the friends coming around when you are not there... unless they are wrecking the place, you do not have a leg to stand on. It is your home, yes, but it is your tenant's home too - that is what happens when you rent a room.

Sunflower27, I think you must have missed the OP's update. She has not been kicking up about the boyfriend.

Her issues now are much more serious and it would appear that the tenant is taking the piss.

I'm curious if you would be so happy with your tenant if your neighbours were complaining that he was inviting strangers to your home when you were away (without letting you know) and that they felt their children were in danger... or if he was leaving your front door open so his girlfriend/friends could let themselves in (as well as anyone else who felt like trying the door).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

this is why i'll never rent a place with other people again....... i love having my own flat with noone to have to share with. i can have people over when i feel like it and not have to answer to anyone.

sure its more expensive than house sharing but its totally worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

OP - if you want to have rules, then set them. Considering you only found out she was having friends over because a neighbour told then it's obvious the friends didn't make a mess in the house or didn't damage anything. So I'm not sure what the problem here is? If it's a case of you not wanting people to ever have friends over then chances are you'll find it quite difficult to rent the room out at all.
    Squiggler wrote: »
    Sunflower27, I think you must have missed the OP's update. She has not been kicking up about the boyfriend.

Her issues now are much more serious and it would appear that the tenant is taking the piss.

I'm curious if you would be so happy with your tenant if your neighbours were complaining that he was inviting strangers to your home when you were away (without letting you know) and that they felt their children were in danger... or if he was leaving your front door open so his girlfriend/friends could let themselves in (as well as anyone else who felt like trying the door).

No one said anything about the kids being in danger.

shoes34 wrote: »
    I live in a small estate where I know everyone and there are a few kids. Now some of her friends drive boy racer cars and one of the neighbours said that you can hear her friends coming in late in the evening/night and its always when I am away.

I took it as implied from the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

OP,

I'm wondering based on the fuss you've made about the girl having her bf over being such a big deal if the issue with your house being like "Grand Central Station" is as bad as being made out??? Did this neighbour approach you out of the blue saying X had such and such over? Or have you asked them to keep an eye. As someone else said if you didn't want to watch TV every weekend or had your own bf would this be an issue??? If you were my landlady i'd be out of there quicker than you could say PRTB if this was your attitude. As for the legal stuff about no rights etc that's been posted, if an owner occupier is making more than 10k a year from rental income they actually do have to register with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Danniboo wrote: »
    OP, As for the legal stuff about no rights etc that's been posted, if an owner occupier is making more than 10k a year from rental income they actually do have to register with the PRTB.

Care to link to the correct legislation stating as such. According to the PTRB's own website a dwelling in which the landlord is also resident does not need to register with the PTRB. The 10K limit regarding the rent a room scheme is in connection with room relief not registering with the PTRB as how can you register with the PTRB is you are not covered by the 2004 residential tenancy act?

Prob better to move this thread to the accommodation and property forum TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

OP,

Did this neighbour approach you out of the blue saying X had such and such over? Or have you asked them to keep an eye.

As for the legal stuff about no rights etc that's been posted, if an owner occupier is making more than 10k a year from rental income they actually do have to register with the PRTB.

I have never asked anyone to keep an eye on my house, my neighbour said it me when we were chatting at the weekend, I hadn't seen her in a few weeks.

I don't get more than 10k a year on rental income and I also don't sit in watching TV all weekend, I do have other stuff to do in the house. I understand I am renting my home and she has as much entitlement to it as i do but sometimes it just frustrates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

I have never asked anyone to keep an eye on my house, my neighbour said it me when we were chatting at the weekend, I hadn't seen her in a few weeks.

I don't get more than 10k a year on rental income and I also don't sit in watching TV all weekend, I do have other stuff to do in the house. I understand I am renting my home and she has as much entitlement to it as i do but sometimes it just frustrates me.

Well plenty of stuff in life is frustrating, that's part of being an adult and making compromises, you just have to get on with it. You have a choice you can accept that by sharing with people they are going to have people over occasionally or you can live alone and pay your own mortgage. As for the boy racer car comment, what have your housemates cars got to do with the situation. Unless they are rallying around the estate????

As for the legal stuff about no rights etc that's been posted, if an owner occupier is making more than 10k a year from rental income they actually do have to register with the PRTB.

Whether or not the place is registered with the PRTB does not change the fact that a licensee has very few rights and can be asked to leave without reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI

Hey OP,

As there seems to be some confusion over the legalities of your rights as live-in landlord, this seems a more appropriate forum for getting the right information/qualified advice.

All the best. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Are they renting a room, or paying to share a house? i.e Do they have use of the kitchen, living room etc or is their agreement based on some sort of reduced rent to limit their access? When you decided to have them pay part of the mortgage, you lost the right to call it "your house" for the duration of their tenancy. I'm sorry that this isn't how you want it to be, but at least you get to keep the house afterwards - they get nothing but a rent book showing them how much of your mortgage they paid.

Yuo're factually incorrect. The OP has stated that he is letting the room in his house, of which he (or she) is the owner. There is no indication that they are paying the mortgage- while the OP can use any funds he gets from them towards their mortgage (or indeed any other bills that they may have)- that is entirely their perogative. It is *not* a tenancy- they are living with the owner in their property under licence, and are not afforded any of the rights a tenant has (as prescribed in the 2004 Residential Tenancies Act). They do not get a rent book- they are entitled to a receipt for any monies paid- it is not rent however, they are not entitled to a rent book, and they are not tenants. Please stop spreading misinformation.

eadire wrote: »
    The thing is you are renting two rooms and unless you put in their contract they could not have guests over they have ever right to invite people over. Especially if they are not causing trouble such as fighting or ruining the house. They are paying you rent to stay their and they have rights too. I understand where you are coming from but from being on the other side I know exactly what this is like. It is horrible to be told you cant stay over with your boyfriend because the owner of the house doesnt want it. If they don't pay their rent on time then you can fight them on it but if they are no problem as tenants then you cannot argue with them.

Once again- they are not tenants- they are living with the owner under licence. They have no rights- and can be asked to leave for any reason by the owner (its good manners to give reasonable notice- however this is at the discretion of the owner as to what this entails). They are not paying 'rent', they are not 'tenants', they do not have the same rights as they would have in a house share- and they most certainly could not have guests stay over, without the prior consent of the owner.

You really need to look at the difference between a tenant- and someone living with an owner occupier under a licence arrangement (such as the rent-a-room scheme). It is erroneous in the extreme to presume they are a tenant and have rights as a tenant- quite simply, they are not, and they do not.

Care to link to the correct legislation stating as such. According to the PTRB's own website a dwelling in which the landlord is also resident does not need to register with the PTRB. The 10K limit regarding the rent a room scheme is in connection with room relief not registering with the PTRB as how can you register with the PTRB is you are not covered by the 2004 residential tenancy act?

Prob better to move this thread to the accommodation and property forum TBH

You're 100% correct.
    Where the owner occupier is letting a room (or rooms) in their own house, they are not covered under tenacy law. The 10k limit relates to Revenue's rent-a-room scheme (and covers absolutely all income- aka if they are paying a share of electricity or other bills- it is also factored in the 10k limit).

You do not register a tenancy with the PRTB, irrespective of income- if you are an owner occupier- because tenancy law does not apply, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU should simply say, in a nice way ,i,d prefer if your boyfriend stayed once a month.its compromising my privacy or living space,i,m sure
    he,s nice but staying every week, is absolutely ,out of the question.
    i decided to rent to 2 tenants not 3.i have no wish to offend you or your
    partner ,but i feel its not fair,
    ie its like i have an extra tenant on weekends ,who pays no rent.
    IF they are working at some point they can rent out a larger flat and move in together.
    MY friend has 2 female tenants age 20-24,he makes it clear ,a boyfriend might stay
    one night ,now and again,no subletting,
    a boyfriend might stay 2nights, if The landlord is NOT There,or gone away on holidays.
    Theres no complaints,or awkwardness ,as the rules are discussed in the interview ,before the tenant moves in.

So 85 PER cent of the time theres ,just 2 tenants ,landlord
    there.
    Landlord lives on ground floor extension,2tenants upstairs.

The problem is yer man comes over next week,
    before you know it ,he,ll be there 3 days a week.
    You have to be nice,diplomatic but firm,
    maybe say he can stay,3days a month ,thats it.
    Some people take advantage,or he may not know ,hes causing
    you stress ,or annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

WELL in dublin it would take 2 or 3 single persons to get together,
    we,ll rent a house, large deposit needed, plus you have to sign a lease for 12 months.
    SO most people ,single people end up renting a room ,or small flat.
    D0 you know 3 people,who have money, are looking for accomodation at the same ,time.And they are happy to stay in the same place,
    that requires,lots of co ordination,planning for 3 people.
    SO most people say,feck it, i,ll rent 1room,or flat.
    theres no so many empty houses in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

riclad wrote: »
    WELL in dublin it would take 2 or 3 single persons to get together,
    we,ll rent a house, large deposit needed, plus you have to sign a lease for 12 months.
    SO most people ,single people end up renting a room ,or small flat.
    D0 you know 3 people,who have money, are looking for accomodation at the same ,time.And they are happy to stay in the same place,
    that requires,lots of co ordination,planning for 3 people.
    SO most people say,feck it, i,ll rent 1room,or flat.
    theres no so many empty houses in dublin.
    i dont remember dublin being mentioned, also nama have alot of houses on their list, can a person go down that road to finding a place to rent.
    o do know that it is crazy trying to find acommodation in dublin, and most of them are way over anyones pursestrings which is terribly unfair on people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have written here prevoiusly but can't find the thread. I know I probably don't have a leg to stand on and mostly just venting but having a bit of an issue with one of the girls in my house. I own it and she rents a room.

Besides her boyfriend being there at weekends which I realise I can't do anything about I have found out that when I am away my house is like Grand Central Station and her friends are over constantly. I live in a small estate where I know everyone and there are a few kids. Now some of her friends drive boy racer cars and one of the neighbours said that you can hear her friends coming in late in the evening/night and its always when I am away. Do I say something to her or I guess I just grin and bear it.

Last week she said to a mutual friend that she rents the house so she can have her boyfriend there all the time if she wants. Which I guess she can. This friend said to imagine if she was in my position having to rent a room out in the house she owned and then to have someone there every weekend when she is off work.

Also I don't mind her boyfriend coming over but I don't like people letting themselves into my house. I didn't realise she left the door open for him on Friday and he just rang the bell and let himself in. I prefer if the door is locked at all times I know it may sound silly but she knows I prefer the door locked.

Sorry just needed to vent and before anything nasty is said I don't make her feel I don't want her there or him there. I am always nice and polite never make him feel he is not welcome.
    now that i read this post i think i am sorry for what i have already said, you should give her notice to leave, more so that, when you leave your house for a night or two, there is alot of activity going on and the neighbours may not be too happy with this,
    one of your neighbours mentioning it to you means that it is disturbing their peace, this girl will be the cause of you being blamed for this, as you are the person who have rented out to her,
    next time you take in someone, make sure you ask the appropriate questions to satisfy you, so this does not happen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

A lodger/licensee who rents a room in an owner occupied home is in a similar situation to someone staying in a B&B/guest house/hotel. They are there only by license of the owner and the owner/landlord sets the rules. If the licensee does not like the rules then s/he may leave.
    However, the rules should be set/shown to the prospective licensee before they take up occupation.
    There are extremely few B&Bs/guest houses/hotels that will allow visitors overnight, let alone permitted to visit a guest in their rooms during the day. And in a B&B etc, you pay much more than you do when living in someone's house under the rent a room scheme.

OP, I have sent you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

You've been on Boards since 2002: surely you know by now that every thread, in every forum, eventually ends up with a "think of the children" post...

Advertisement