Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash tree roots

Options
  • 12-04-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I bought a house recently and it has some mature ash trees at the back. There were a few which were too close to the house so I cut them down and just left the stump. Now I want to reseed this part of the lawn. So my question is, what is the best way to remove these stumps and roots? Would a JCB do the job? I believe the trees are around 20 years old and of widely varying size. And for the environmentalists among us I will be re-planting trees at the other end of my lawn this year :-)
    Any help/suggestions would be great,
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

Yes Jacob should do it easy enough. Ps don't plant ash trees any where near a house their roots all stay on top of the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why not stump grind the residual roots/stumps? Probably less costly, disruptive to surrounding area and a very effective method of removal. The root waste will make a very good additive to compost heaps and that will certainly earn you extra green points!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Rent a stump grinder guy.

And drill holes in the remains and put in neat Roundup to kill the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

Thanks guys.
    It turns out stump grinding is pretty expensive. Gonna use a jcb instead. I'll dig a hole and bury the "remains".
    G

Advertisement