Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles 2.0

Options
  • 12-04-2012 11:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Macca's son James mentions the idea that the kids of the Fab four could start a band.

Link - last few questions
    Q. What would you say to forming The Beatles - The Next Generation, with Sean Lennon, Dhani Harrison and Zak Starkey [Ringo Starr's son]?

I don't think it's something that Zak wants to do. Maybe Jason [another of Starr's sons and also drummer] would want to do it. I'd be up for it. Sean seemed to be into it, Dhani seemed to be into it. I'd be happy to do it.

Q. Has it been mooted?

Yeah, a little bit.

Q. Do you think it could happen?

Yeah, hopefully, naturally. I don't know, you'd have to wait and see. The will of God, nature's support, I guess. So yeah, maybe.

Another article

Horrendous idea I think personally.
    Not something I'd ever want to see

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Too early to judge. I am a Beatles fan but I wouldn't knock the idea. Wait and hear what they sound like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Well James,Sean and Dhani all have solo careers already, I think it would be a huge step back for them to start trying to live off their father's legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I don't think it's an horrendous idea myself but it'll be very hard for them to be judged on their own merits. If their music is good it'll be because "they're the sons of the Beatles". If the music is bad then it'll be the sons failing to live up to (unrealistic) expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Yep. The Beatles had already split up by the time they were the age these guys are.
    The Master wrote: »
    Well James,Sean and Dhani all have solo careers already, I think it would be a huge step back for them to start trying to live off their father's legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I saw this in the papers and thought it was a joke.

Firstly why "the next generation Beatles"? That next generation should have been the 1970s or the 1980s at latest, its the 2010s now.

Second would Paul and Ringo really want their legacy to be tarnished by their sons attempt to recreate everything they did as a band?

I am not a huge Beatles fan but they do have a die hard fanbase who would more than likely be unsatisfied either way because what the sons are forming was not the original band they knew and loved.

Having said that it will be interesting to see how this turns out. They will probably need some hectic promotion and a lot more media exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Malice wrote: »
    I don't think it's an horrendous idea myself but it'll be very hard for them to be judged on their own merits. If their music is good it'll be because "they're the sons of the Beatles". If the music is bad then it'll be the sons failing to live up to (unrealistic) expectations.
    This is nail on the head stuff here - these are, in my view the only two possible outcomes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have to agree with the Master on this one also and while their music should be judged on it's own merits ,they will always be stuck with the ' sons of ' tag .Juilian Lennon had some success with 'Saltwater ' over 15 years ago but many people were more intruiged by the Lennons resemblance to father than anything else and I think it hindered him a lot so while it would be interesting to see what they might come up with , Beatles the 2nd they never will be .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I thought they would be more interested in trying to distance themselves from their respective fathers shadows. It must be bad enough being John Lennon's son and trying to get acceptance as an artist in your own right without going off and getting involved in this. Imagine the hype leading up to the album! Maybe if it was a one off kind of novelty thing it might work to some extent but other then that it seems like a bit of a weird idea. Still I'd be willing to give it a listen same as anything else.

Advertisement