Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance

Options
  • 12-04-2012 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

123.ie have quoted 343 euro for myself and my husband with the following included 300 excess on it, is it a good deal?

• Driving of Other Cars
    Driving of Other Cars Third Party only and only available to policyholders 25 and over with a full licence
    • Windscreen Damage
    Windscreen Damage We will pay the cost of replacing the windscreen (or any window of your car) if accidentally broken (up to €1500)
    • Breakdown Assist
    Breakdown Assist Breakdown assist available 24 hours, 365 days throughout Ireland. Includes Home Start assistance
    • Personal Accident
    Personal Accident Personal Accident cover up to €5,000
    • Personal Belongings
    Personal Belongings We will pay for loss or damage to personal belongings due to fire, theft or accidental damage up to a limit of €300
    • Medical Expenses
    Medical Expenses Medical expenses cover up to €250
    • Emergency Overnight Accommodation
    Emergency Overnight Accommodation Should you be unable to complete your journey as a result of accidental damage or loss we will pay for one night emergency overnight accommodation up to €380
    • Stepback No Claims Bonus Protection

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its all relative. Ring around others and see how much they will quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Gilally

THanks

Gilally wrote: »
    123.ie have quoted 343 euro for myself and my husband with the following included 300 excess on it, is it a good deal?

• Driving of Other Cars
    Driving of Other Cars Third Party only and only available to policyholders 25 and over with a full licence
    • Windscreen Damage
    Windscreen Damage We will pay the cost of replacing the windscreen (or any window of your car) if accidentally broken (up to €1500)
    • Breakdown Assist
    Breakdown Assist Breakdown assist available 24 hours, 365 days throughout Ireland. Includes Home Start assistance
    • Personal Accident
    Personal Accident Personal Accident cover up to €5,000
    • Personal Belongings
    Personal Belongings We will pay for loss or damage to personal belongings due to fire, theft or accidental damage up to a limit of €300
    • Medical Expenses
    Medical Expenses Medical expenses cover up to €250
    • Emergency Overnight Accommodation
    Emergency Overnight Accommodation Should you be unable to complete your journey as a result of accidental damage or loss we will pay for one night emergency overnight accommodation up to €380
    • Stepback No Claims Bonus Protection

Pretty standard ya, nothing bad about it but it wouldn't hurt to ring a few people. You can always haggle down at least 20 quid on most quotes you get online as they normally have their own charge built in.

What does the no claims step back mean?

Literally when you make a claim you wont lose your bonus but it will be reduced by a certain amount of years depending on the company. Nearly sure 123's scale is 6 years so you'd be knocked back to a 4 year bonus if you made one claim. It's literally there to stop you losing the whole thing if you have to claim, it comes standard on most policies these days. If you have a 6 year plus no claims which you probably do with the quote you got I'd pay the extra few quid for full bonus protection. Means if you make 1(or 2 claims depending on the company) your bonus won't be affected at all.

• Advertisement

KaG wrote: »

Literally when you make a claim you wont lose your bonus but it will be reduced by a certain amount of years depending on the company. Nearly sure 123's scale is 6 years so you'd be knocked back to a 4 year bonus if you made one claim. It's literally there to stop you losing the whole thing if you have to claim, it comes standard on most policies these days. If you have a 6 year plus no claims which you probably do with the quote you got I'd pay the extra few quid for full bonus protection. Means if you make 1(or 2 claims depending on the company) your bonus won't be affected at all.
    Would there be an option to protect it completely ?

Would there be an option to protect it completely ?

Alot of website's will only have the step back option but if you call them there would be yeah. Even before you do go back into your online quote, change the protection to "full" if it's there.

No there was no
    Option for full but will try them on the phone. Thanks so much for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 howsdcraic

Hi all, I need help. I am 26 years old anh have 3 years no claims driving experience from November 06 to November 09.

I then left the country fora year. Returned in 2011 - and went named driver on my sisters policy. I bought a car yesterday, and I am trying to insure it. But the insurance company tells me I cant count my 3 years no claims which was in my own name and they will only take the named driving experience.

Does anybody know of a company that will take me on with this history, I am finding it difficult and feel like i'm banging my head against the wall!!

Thanks all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Afaik 123.ie full NCB is an extra €50 on the policy, i could be wrong

• Advertisement

howsdcraic wrote: »
    Hi all, I need help. I am 26 years old anh have 3 years no claims driving experience from November 06 to November 09.

I then left the country fora year. Returned in 2011 - and went named driver on my sisters policy. I bought a car yesterday, and I am trying to insure it. But the insurance company tells me I cant count my 3 years no claims which was in my own name and they will only take the named driving experience.

Does anybody know of a company that will take me on with this history, I am finding it difficult and feel like i'm banging my head against the wall!!

Thanks all!!

Unfortunately because your No Claims Bonus is outside the 2 years it's expired. Your best bet is to go to the company you last had it with and they may rate you on better terms then anyone else. That's your best shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

howsdcraic wrote: »

Thanks all!!

Setanta Insurance actually give you three years so with them your bonus/experience is valid until November 2012. Hope I'm not too late. Check out their website and there should be a 'find your nearest broker' section.

Advertisement