Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building iPhone Apps?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Anyone out there good at building iPhone apps?

Basically am a UI designer but dont have a clue how to build apps. Just wondering if anyone out there would wanna collaborate on some ideas, i do the design and you do the build kinda thing.

I dont have anything set in stone but have been throwing some ideas around in my head but always come to a stop when it comes to "how would i build that".

Give me a PM if ya's have any ideas anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It would entirely depend on the scope of your ideas really, if they're small then you could get someone learning in college to collaborate and build something relatively simple, if they are big games then you might have more trouble getting someone to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭shanefitz360

Why limit it to iOS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I basically haven't a clue about 'apps' - but I know they seem to be popular so I went to http://ibuildapp.com/ and using their instructions build an experimental one called 'Dublin taxi and tours'

http://ibuildapp.com/projects.php?filter=iphone&searchText=dublin+taxi+and+tours&searchCat=94&page=1
    That was just an experiment so hopefully I can move on from it to more fulfilling and profitable apps.
    Can I 'scan the QR code etc. ?? Nope , still learning !!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Why limit it to iOS ?
    Most profitable by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

solarith wrote: »
    Most profitable by far.

source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Capri wrote: »
    I basically haven't a clue about 'apps' - but I know they seem to be popular so I went to http://ibuildapp.com/ and using their instructions build an experimental one called 'Dublin taxi and tours'

http://ibuildapp.com/projects.php?filter=iphone&searchText=dublin+taxi+and+tours&searchCat=94&page=1
    That was just an experiment so hopefully I can move on from it to more fulfilling and profitable apps.
    Can I 'scan the QR code etc. ?? Nope , still learning !!

I built a app with Ibuild app at the beginning of the year and now turns out they are charging to build a app. Anyone know a new place to build a easy app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Baz_ wrote: »
    source?

Couldn't wait, although it only specifically mentions figures for the top 200 app's in either market, and you'd be doing well to make it up to the top 200 app's, but I suppose it's an indication...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Baz_ wrote: »
    source?
    In fairness, Android probably does still trail iOS in terms of developer revenue overall. Given this it's quite difficult to track and compare, because what works on iOS won't on Android and vice versa.

Without getting into detailed models, both have essentially the same four revenue streams:
    • Once-off App Payment.
    • In-App purchases.
    • Advertising.
    • 'Offline'. This really covers things like an app that allows you to search for cheap flights, then allows you to book then by calling a number. Or apps that encourage the use of a service (e.g. Monster) that is paid for by third party clients. Money is not made directly 'through' the app.
    When mobile analysis firms, like Distimo, tend to look at revenue figures, they'll tend to concentrate on the first two. On that basis, iOS will always dwarf Android, simply because of ownership demographics (iOS owners tend to be older and happy to buy stuff).

Advertising is much harder to measure, because it's not simply AdMob out there, but at this stage dozens of different advertising aggregators in the market, many of whom are category or geographically specialized - indeed, to maximize advertising revenue a good developer would look at the device spec, local and location data and use the advertising API with the best return, rather than sticking to only one aggregator.

In advertising, Android appears to have a significant lead on iOS, in terms of revenue.

Finally, the 'offline' revenue model is by definition impossible to measure, but some companies make a lot of money this way, which would be undetectable to the aforementioned mobile analysis firms.

Given this, my feeling (at best a calculated guess, but I wouldn't stake my life on it) is that all things considered, iOS will on average bring in more revenue than Android. But the gap is not as big as it's often made out to be.

As to whether you should limit yourself to one platform or the other, or both, that really comes down to resources, app complexity and your business model, but in most cases I'd recommend developing for both (don't be afraid to change the business model according to platform), although not necessarily at the same time.

Advertisement