Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Anniversary dinner

Options
  • 12-04-2012 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Myself and the wife were looking at going somewhere nice for our first anniversary. After some debate we've narrowed the list to 3 places. Chapter One, L'ecrivan and Patrick Guilbaud.

We haven't been to any of the three of them and I'm wondering anyone here can offer comparisons of any of them?

From a bit of research I'm leaning towards L'ecrivan myself but I'm open to change!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I've been to Chapter One and it was excellent, really great food.

From friends who have dined in all three, L'ecrivain and Chapter one were ahead of P Guilbaud, not necessarily the food, but found the difference in price way too high.
    80 (chapter 1), 90( L'ec) and 165(P Guil) for tasting menu's. For food alone, one put Chapter one up with Patrick G

I'm back in Ireland in July and plan on heading to both Chapter One and L'ecrivain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

hussey wrote: »
    I've been to Chapter One and it was excellent, really great food.

From friends who have dined in all three, L'ecrivain and Chapter one were ahead of P Guilbaud, not necessarily the food, but found the difference in price way too high.
    80 (chapter 1), 90( L'ec) and 165(P Guil) for tasting menu's. For food alone, one put Chapter one up with Patrick G

I'm back in Ireland in July and plan on heading to both Chapter One and L'ecrivain
    The price difference is prob due to PG being a two star restaurant whereas the other two being one star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Thanks for the replies folks,

Looks like we're gonna go with L'ecrivan. Chapter one is closed the night we want and as has been said PG is very very expensive.

Maybe PG's for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks for the replies folks,

Looks like we're gonna go with L'ecrivan. Chapter one is closed the night we want and as has been said PG is very very expensive.

Maybe PG's for next year!

You wont be disappointed. Its a great restaurant.

I was there recently and had the tasting menu and all 10 courses were memorable.

The set menu is €65 per head and there is a service charge, so the average bill for 2 including wine would be about 200, unless you go mad ordering wine.

Enjoy.

huskerdu wrote: »
    You wont be disappointed. Its a great restaurant.

I was there recently and had the tasting menu and all 10 courses were memorable.

The set menu is €65 per head and there is a service charge, so the average bill for 2 including wine would be about 200, unless you go mad ordering wine.

Enjoy.

Excellent stuff.

We have a €100 voucher (blue book) which will take the sting out of the bill as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

huskerdu wrote: »

Enjoy.

It's easy to go mad on wine in L'Ecrivain as their sommelier Martina Delaney has won numerous awards, and most of all she's very pleasant and friendly, and not all intimidating like some sommeliers can be.

Enjoy L'Ecrivain, you will be pleased. It was so good the first time Mr Fox and I went there, that we decided to book their private room for our intimate wedding dinner for 12 a few months later.

Patrick Gilbaud was an experience, it was good but to be honest I won't be rushing back there again so soon due to the price.

I still haven't tried Chapter One. Always booked out everytime we ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 stacey25

Patrick Guilbaud is really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Service charge....I wish they would just charge more for the food instead.

I've yet to go to a restaurant where the service deserved 10% of the meal cost in its own right.

Right, so I went with herself on Saturday evening.

Overall I was a little underwhelmed to be honest.

We started with a glass of prosecco each and we ordered off the set menu @€;65 a head.

They started with a taster of salted cod and shaved fennell. I'm not much of a fish person and it wasn't for me. I did lke the fennel mind you.

To start I went for the Rabbit terrine, which to be fair was fantastic. Herself went for the veggie tomato terrine which she seemed very pleased with.

For mains I went for the "suckling pig" and herself the beef. I was disappointed with the pig. It consisted of a bit of pork belly about he size of a matchbox. A tough bit of loin and a nice piece of slow cooked shredded pork in breadcrumbs. Now I love pork belly, have had it in countless places. this was only OK, nothing to get excited about. The wife's beef was very good but what bugged me (and her) was the fact that almost everything on the set menu had a supplement. Neither of us usually mind this but her beef had an €8 supplement and coming from a family of butchers I can tell you there wasn't €8 of beef on the plate. It was cooked very well but again was a tiny portion.

The desserts were top class, I had a lemon /lime thing (can't remember name) but it was very good. I don't recall what herself had but I do recall she wouldn't share so it must've been good!

Drinks consisted of prosecco x2 and a glass of malbec x2. Neither horrendously expensive. I finished up with a lovely Italian dessert wine that I hadn't had in years.

The service was top notch but we were both disappointed by the main courses. For the prices they charge, I felt the food wasn't up to scratch.

Just my opinion, other people might be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Post a review on menupages and/or tripadvisor. I find they help the restaurant and the customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement