Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there something big happening on the weekend of the 12th of May?

Options
  • 12-04-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭

Looking to book a hotel in Galway for that weekend and most places' prices are through the roof (if not booked out)!

Is there something happening this weekend or is this just the norm? :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is sunshine predicted!
    I'm guessing weekends in galway are popular and hotels are trying to recoup any losses they have been incurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A dude from Limerick is visiting! ;)

Seriously though, it's the www.galwayearlymusic.com but it's not massive.
    http://www.galwaytourism.ie/pgalway-events-calendar.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I guess I'll just have to shop around and see what I can get! :P

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

I guess I'll just have to shop around and see what I can get! :P

Cheers!
    you should try clybaunhotel knocknacarra its outside city but plenty of bus routes and taxis in the vicinity

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

swe_fi wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP is talking about may, not this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

antoobrien wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the OP is talking about may, not this weekend.

Nah, you're wrong...:-)

You are right of course, my brain isn't fully switched on this morning!

It is stag and hen season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Last week I was trying to book a Saturday night in April in any city center hotel. I was flexible which weekend I could go. The prices averaged around €140-150 and a lot of places wont accept a Saturday night only, must be booked together with a Friday or Sunday. B&Bs around College Road are €80-110. Tried directly with the hotels and sites like roomex and booking.com.
    Are things that good in Galway?
    I can get a decent hotel in Dublin close to the city center anywhere from €40 up (Ballsbridge Inn) on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

kc66 wrote: »
    Last week I was trying to book a Saturday night in April in any city center hotel. I was flexible which weekend I could go. The prices averaged around €140-150 and a lot of places wont accept a Saturday night only, must be booked together with a Friday or Sunday. B&Bs around College Road are €80-110. Tried directly with the hotels and sites like roomex and booking.com.
    I can get a decent hotel in Dublin close to the city center anywhere from €40 up (Ballsbridge Inn) on a Saturday night.

There is definitely a strong demand for accommodation especially on Saturday nights about 42/43 weekends of the year but it is possible to get double room accommodation below €80 if you book 2-3 weeks ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Staycations are all in the past few years and Galway is a very popular spot for visitors, hens/stags, sports fans etc. Theres usually some form of a "festival" on every now and again as well. That coupled with the fact that a number of hotels/B and B's have closed in the past few years have pushed prices up and availability down.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Try Flannerys on the Dublin Rd..good value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Galway is retaining its reputation for ripping-off visitors, which will have long-term consequences in my view.
    If I were considering a break in Ireland, I would look at galway price-points and re-consider other locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Galwayps wrote: »
    kc66 wrote: »

There is definitely a strong demand for accommodation especially on Saturday nights about 42/43 weekends of the year but it is possible to get double room accommodation below €80 if you book 2-3 weeks ahead

I also tried some nights in May out of interest, a month in advance. Same prices. Definitely none around €80. I have found great value hotels all over Ireland but Galway is definitely the most expensive unless you are happy to stay a few miles out the road.

Advertisement