Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Surgery work

• 12-04-2012 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hello all. I was wondering does anyone know if it's easy to get work in Tree surgery nowadays. I was thinking of doing courses CS38 & CS39 (tree climbling and cutting trees from ropes/harness) as these would be required. However they cost over 1,200 euro to do. FAS are not funding for anything at the moment and told me to call back in 2 weeks, but the course starts in 2 weeks and the next one isn't util June. I don't want to be unemployed until then and I can't really afford to pay for it, but I would if I was guaranteed work.
    I've tried ringing a few different places about it but they can't really give me an answer which is understandable. I'd live in the west, not sure if anyone knows companies to ring, I've tried Dermot Casey and Connaught Tree Care.
    Any advice on if I should take a chance and pay for these courses now (i'll be flat broke if i do) or wait and hope FAS fund the course for 2 months time?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Where were you going to do the courses? plenty out there with short courses.

If you are serious about long term tree surgery employment have you looked into this:

http://www.merristwood.ac.uk/SubjectAreas/Arboriculture.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

I was going doing the training course with Treecare Ireland in Carlow. Thanks for the link but I cant really move to England at the moment.
    I also forgot to mention that I've already studied Forestry in Ballyhaise Agricultural College, where we done a lot of practical work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

CS 30/31 would be your first tickets to get.

Best thing would be try and get some work as a groundy and suss the job out first before you spend your money.

Treecare do excellent courses if you decide to do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

aerosol wrote: »
    CS 30/31 would be your first tickets to get.

Best thing would be try and get some work as a groundy and suss the job out first before you spend your money.

Treecare do excellent courses if you decide to do them.

Ya I've done CS30/31/32/34 when I was in Ballyhaise it's just these other 2 training courses I need to do. I might try get a bit of work experience in it as a groundy and hopefully make a few quid after a while to do them

Advertisement