Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over 20% of Irish children report hearing voices

• 12-04-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Hearing voices may affect over a fifth of schoolchildren aged 11 to 13, a psychiatric study has found.
    In most cases, the auditory hallucinations stop with time, the findings show. But children who continue to hear voices could be at risk of mental illness or behavioural disorders.
    Researchers carried out psychiatric assessments of almost 2,500 children aged between 11 and 16 in Dublin.
    They discovered that 21%-23% of younger adolescents, aged 11 to 13, had experienced auditory hallucinations
    Full article on RTE here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0412/over-20-of-children-report-hearing-voices.html

I have to admit I'm very surprised by this report. It seems an extraordinarily high figure to me.
    I never knew hearing "voices" was so common. I didn't hear anything growing up but I think if I'd heard anything I would have really been freaked out by it.
    Probably would have been reluctant to talk about it too, I'd imagine a lot of people would have called me crazy or labelled me a "psycho". Hopefully with this report showing that hearing voices is commonplace, it will help breakdown taboos about it.
    Did anyone on here hear voices growing up? Did it scare you? Did you talk to anyone about it? What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its called daydreaming, can kids just be left be kids anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

if only 20% of kids hear voices does that mean 80% of kids are deaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They tell me to set fire to things laddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's because children are more in tune with the spirit world. As they grow older, society conditions them to ignore the voices and to conform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Burn em Ralphy, Burn em all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

krudler wrote: »

Dont be silly, they cant just be left to be kids, its all about analyising and tagging kids these days.

One of mine is a bit "wild" plenty of energy, always climbing and stuff. GP wants him tested for ADHD,apsbergers n god knows what else. He s only two and enjoying being a kid FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They assessed 2500 children in Dublin and then claim its nationwide.
    Surly a comprensive assessment should be of children from all over Ireland.
    I agree with this.
    Do you?
    Yes I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i'm predicting a rise of 'the voices told me to do it' in irelands criminal courts now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No, at least not until every nuance of human existence has been labeled a condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Looks like another generation of children are going to drugged up just for being children

There is a label and a drug for everything these days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wouldn't worry too much about 20% of kids hearing voices.
    It's the larger percentage that don't listen is what concerns me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've no problem with kids hearing voices or seeing things we can't. Their imagination is far, far better than most adults after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Aye, and according to a questionnaire we answered anonymously when I was in in secondary school about 75% of my class had cocaine habits too... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They say it just to get noticed, kids are like dogs, always vying for their owner's attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't know what to make of this "study" tbh.

How do you explain to a child what "hearing voices" should sound like? There's a general theory that it takes a little while for humans to make sense of how their head works, and so children tend to have difficulty integrating the inner monologue with the rest of their thinking, and so may often describe this as "someone inside me telling me what to do". As an inner monologue isn't always a single train of thought either, it would be very easy to describe it as a conversation going on between two or more people inside your own head.

The maturation of the brain leads to better control of the inner monlogue and more understanding internally of how it all fits together.

I don't think it's a massive leap then to suppose that most of this 20% is the simply the result of immature brains failing to understand the difference between inner monologues, daydreams and actual auditory hallucinations. This would also explain why it spontaneously "goes away" as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

How do I get my hands on the actual study? Serious question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note, its OK to hear your own voice in your head. It is when you hear other people's voice when you shouldn't be able to, that's when it might be a problem.
    While this is AH, I think thats may be a bit glib.Pretty much everyone daydreams, not everyone hears voices.

Once, I saw three coffins in the office at work. My eys were telling me there were coffins, logic and common sense told me that we don't keep coffins in work. I was only able to deduce I was halucinating.
    I wasn't halucinating, the coffins were there - the builder who was fitting out the storey below us was doing a prank for Halloween.

Sometimes the mind has difficulty reconciling perception with reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

well that fits in with 1:4/5 people will develop a mental illness stat. makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

IM0 wrote: »
    well that fits in with 1:4/5 people will develop a mental illness stat. makes sense.

decyphering your mathematical notation would make me develop a mental illness.

decyphering your mathematical notation would make me develop a mental illness.

simple ratio. Ill spell it out for you. 1 in 4 or 5 people!

still not with me?

ok. well if 5 people are in a room......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You know nothing about mental illness, right?

Confab wrote: »
    You know nothing about mental illness, right?

why :confused:
    Id say I know more than most tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

seamus wrote: »
    I don't know what to make of this "study" tbh.

How do you explain to a child what "hearing voices" should sound like? There's a general theory that it takes a little while for humans to make sense of how their head works, and so children tend to have difficulty integrating the inner monologue with the rest of their thinking, and so may often describe this as "someone inside me telling me what to do". As an inner monologue isn't always a single train of thought either, it would be very easy to describe it as a conversation going on between two or more people inside your own head.

The maturation of the brain leads to better control of the inner monlogue and more understanding internally of how it all fits together.

I don't think it's a massive leap then to suppose that most of this 20% is the simply the result of immature brains failing to understand the difference between inner monologues, daydreams and actual auditory hallucinations. This would also explain why it spontaneously "goes away" as they get older.

exactly, everyone has that "ah sh1t I forgot to do that thing, ah well do it tomorrow" voice in their head, but its not an actual case of hearing voices, my inner monologue is always going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

How do I get my hands on the actual study? Serious question.

This should be it:
    http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/early/2012/03/28/bjp.bp.111.101543

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm willing to bet that 19% of Irish kids answered Yes just to wind up the researcher.

I'm Morgan Freeman,

You are hearing my voice in your head as you read this.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks OP.

I've just killed my children to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I'll just wait till my daughter starts seeing dead people. When she spots Bruce Willis, I'll ask her to arrange a date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I'm Morgan Freeman,

You are hearing my voice in your head as you read this.

:pac:

:(

Where is Morgan gone, I enjoyed his posts..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

They assessed 2500 children in Dublin and then claim its nationwide.
    Surly a comprensive assessment should be of children from all over Ireland.
    I agree with this.
    Do you?
    Yes I do.

People outside Dublin don't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

kylith wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet that 19% of Irish kids answered Yes just to wind up the researcher.

Only because the voices told them to.:eek:

I hear this voice when I'm in the car.

I think he said his name is Matt Cooper.

Sometimes he talks to friends too.

Duh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Dave! wrote: »
    That's because children are more in tune with the spirit world. As they grow older, society conditions them to ignore the voices and to conform.

whats your source for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

al28283 wrote: »

The Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I hear voices in my head, They council me, They understand, They talk to me ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

mathie wrote: »
    People outside Dublin don't count.

Creatures living outside Dublin don't count as people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

haminka wrote: »
    Creatures living outside Dublin don't count as people.

I am not a creature! I am not an animal! I am a human being! I ... am ... a ... man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

20% of Irish children are thieving bastards. I wonder if there is a correlation?

(For those of you without that inner voice telling you already...I'm only joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I
    al28283 wrote: »
    Dave! wrote: »

It's pretty standard science tbh, look it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i had an imaginary friend too when i was younger, he did all kinds of shít and somehow i got the blame for it! when i tried to say "milko told me to do it", my parents didnt believe me, then milko would laugh at me over my shoulder. he disappeared though for some reason when i went through my "i think i might be gay" phase in puberty! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

My dad was fixing the washing machine when I was a kid. Heleft loads of bolts and washers on the floor. I knew I wasnt to eat them but a voice told me "HE WOULDNT HAVE LEFT THEM THERE IF YOU ARNT SUPPOSED TO EAT THEM"
    Casualty -x ray - very painful poo later , I never trusted the voices again .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Psychiatry! Its almost science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

From the report:
    Y
    ounger adolescents had a higher prevalence (21–23%) of psychotic symptoms than older adolescents (7%). In both age groups the majority of adolescents who reported psychotic symptoms had at least one diagnosable non-psychotic psychiatric disorder, although associations with psychopathology increased with age: nearly 80% of the mid- adolescence sample who reported psychotic symptoms had at least one diagnosis, compared with 57% of the early adolescence sample. Adolescents who reported psychotic symptoms were at particularly high risk of having multiple co-occurring diagnoses.

I think it's fair to say there is more going on here than daydreaming.

There is a correlation that I think could actually be useful as a screening tool in assessing children's mental health.

Maybe this is something we should be asking all children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

it's like a story off the onion news network :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I remember once having an auditory hallucination. It was when I drifting off to sleep one night and it sounded (clear as day) as if someone was speaking right beside my ear. I can't remember what it was now, but it was a deep man's voice.

Hasn't happened before or since then. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Jim Corr told me that once all the children are medicated Ronald McDonald can rise again.
    If you dig through the crazy stuff maybe hes onto something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Reminds me of that South Park episode where Butters is diagnosed with multiple personalities, after they notice him slipping in and out of multiple personas while he's playing, including inspector Butters & fireman Butters. :D

But wait, the study is saying that psychotic symptom correlate with non-psychotic diagnoses? I don't know a whole lot about psychology but that doesn't make sense to me.
    And the rate of psychosis diagnosed in the older age group was significantly lower that the younger age group? That also doesn't make sense, other than to say that these symptoms go away by themselves over the space of a few years (in which case it's a non-issue).

face1990 wrote: »
    Reminds me of that South Park episode where Butters is diagnosed with multiple personalities, after they notice him slipping in and out of multiple personas while he's playing, including inspector Butters & fireman Butters. :D

But wait, the study is saying that psychotic symptom correlate with non-psychotic diagnoses? I don't know a whole lot about psychology but that doesn't make sense to me.

it is actually normal to hear auditory hallucinations*, it only becomes a diagnosis when it becomes a problem when it is prolonged and cyclical and interferes with your normal everyday life.

*source: consultant psychiatrist and family friend

psychosis is like a bad trip without taking acid, they both get worse the more you believe your symtoms are real, and both wont end well the longer you cling to the belief it is real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

it is actually normal to hear auditory hallucinations*, it only becomes a diagnosis when it becomes a problem when it is prolonged and cyclical and interferes with your normal everyday life.

*source: consultant psychiatrist and family friend

psychosis is like a bad trip without taking acid, they both get worse the more you believe your symtoms are real, and both wont end well the longer you cling to the belief it is real

thanks for that IMO 'cause i was the same as faces1990, couldnt make head nor tails of what they were trying to say either!

i do believe though they used a very small sample group and although i imagine they were thorough in their testing, i dont know if i'd honestly believe in the whole idea of diagnosing children with disorders, especially psychiatric or psychotic disorders while their brains are still developing.

children go through different phases and i just wonder are the people who carried out this study WANTING to find something as opposed to questioning whether something exists if that makes sense?

reminds me a bit of those paranormal investigations they do on tv where they want to believe in the paranormal as opposed to finding out a creaking door just needs a squirt of oil or whatever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

• Advertisement
Advertisement