Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over 20% of Irish children report hearing voices

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

xsiborg wrote: »
    reminds me a bit of those paranormal investigations they do on tv where they want to believe in the paranormal as opposed to finding out a creaking door just needs a squirt of oil or whatever!
    Its self reinforcing alright. Remember this is the same industry that classified homosexuality as a sickness almost till the 80s, and today prescribes some very serious medication for "hyperactive" children across the US. Keep them the hell away from the kids. Psychotic symptoms my pasty buttocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Maybe if they knew people simply do not 'hear voices' and those that claim to are effectively crying out to be admitted in aswering yes to this make or break question they'd not do it.

It's a bit strange though isn't it.. Kids. Usually doing their damndest to fit in and not be outcast as 'weirdo'.. most strange. 20%, at that

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

their making it up i had one of them surveys when i was around 11
    have you had sex? yes
    do you smoke? yes
    do you do drugs? yes
    hadn't done any of those things but i was a messer and i would imagine 20% of kids now a days would be the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I heard voices the odd time, I never thought anything of it, I just assumed everyone else did as well. But if I had had known that was a symptom of mental illness, what would my young mind have thought then, I think I was better off not knowing.

Watch the epidemic of mental illness occur in the next few weeks or months because of this research. I would also like to see how they compose their results, if it was a questionnaire only I would dismiss it. I was a teenager once and i was not a reliable subject for any research. It would literally depend on the mood I was in and as an adolescent that swung faster then Tarzan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Begs the question, how does a hooker put up a shelf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

xsiborg wrote: »

thanks for that IMO 'cause i was the same as faces1990, couldnt make head nor tails of what they were trying to say either!

i do believe though they used a very small sample group and although i imagine they were thorough in their testing, i dont know if i'd honestly believe in the whole idea of diagnosing children with disorders, especially psychiatric or psychotic disorders while their brains are still developing.

children go through different phases and i just wonder are the people who carried out this study WANTING to find something as opposed to questioning whether something exists if that makes sense?

reminds me a bit of those paranormal investigations they do on tv where they want to believe in the paranormal as opposed to finding out a creaking door just needs a squirt of oil or whatever!
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see younger kids diagnosed with more mental problems than older ones. Until they're around 10 they're little sociopaths, which is completely normal. Kids aren't born with social skills like empathy or altruism, so it stands to reason that they'd test as psychotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

kylith wrote: »
    I wouldn't be at all surprised to see younger kids diagnosed with more mental problems than older ones. Until they're around 10 they're little sociopaths, which is completely normal. Kids aren't born with social skills like empathy or altruism, so it stands to reason that they'd test as psychotic.
    No, a "psychotic" in the clinical sense isn't usually someone who runs around murdering people in imaginative ways, its a term used to describe a wide variety of mental illnesses which wouldn't manifest themselves violently. Clinically for example, religion is psychosis.

Applying these already dubious concepts to juveniles - and then hitting the headlines with it - is well worthy of a good old fashioned running out of the country on a rail.

This is creating a nonexistent problem, raising hysteria over it, then "heroically" presenting an expensive solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    No, a "psychotic" in the clinical sense isn't usually someone who runs around murdering people in imaginative ways, its a term used to describe a wide variety of mental illnesses which wouldn't manifest themselves violently. Clinically for example, religion is psychosis.

Applying these already dubious concepts to juveniles - and then hitting the headlines with it - is well worthy of a good old fashioned running out of the country on a rail.

This is creating a nonexistent problem, raising hysteria over it, then "heroically" presenting an expensive solution.
    Thanks for clearing that up.

I think what I meant was that there's no point in diagnosing kids, who are still developing mentally, with mental issues that probably won't be there when they reach adulthood. By your definition having an imaginary friend is a psychosis, but that's considered perfectly normal in childhood.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Anybody listening in dead silence for long enough will hear voices but i believe they are only echoes of some sort .I'm not bothered by them and rarely hear them as they are very faint .It's never anything useful and very short lived . That DUD profession called Psychiatry makes a lot of readies out of such nonsense as do it's well heeled accomplice the drug industry .The profession with it's accomplice does some good though and that should'nt be forgotten .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Kids are all compulsive liars, anything based on what kids say is bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Victor wrote: »
    Once, I saw three coffins in the office at work. My eys were telling me there were coffins, logic and common sense told me that we don't keep coffins in work. I was only able to deduce I was halucinating.
    I wasn't halucinating, the coffins were there - the builder who was fitting out the storey below us was doing a prank for Halloween.

Sometimes the mind has difficulty reconciling perception with reality.
    This is why everyone should do hallucinogenic drugs, so if they can tell the difference between real life and hallucinations.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Thanks OP.

I've just killed my children to be on the safe side.
    They weren't your children to begin with and you know it.
    I remember once having an auditory hallucination. It was when I drifting off to sleep one night and it sounded (clear as day) as if someone was speaking right beside my ear. I can't remember what it was now, but it was a deep man's voice.

Hasn't happened before or since then. Weird.
    I've had something like that a handful of times over my life. It's usually my fathers voice calling my name as he would have done when I was late for school.

Advertisement