Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda ANPR check for the NCT ?

• 12-04-2012 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was wondering if anyone knows if the ANPR system used by the Garda vehicles checks for the NCT? I know it deffo does for Tax and Insurance.

I've had a read through the threads on ANPR, and they are dated at this stage, any up to date info re NCT would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

No it doesn't check for nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭pcardin

Jarren wrote: »

so the tax will be the only one that can be detected? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Isn't there something about data protection in relation to insurance details when it comes to the ANPR system?
    It does seem like a half arsed job with just the tax details available when checking plates.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

They do know if there is insurance but not the specific details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Based on what is entered on the tax renewal form. So highly accurate. Not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Garda Pulse has access to tax, insurance and nct details. I've a brother-in-law in the force and he told me that ANPR data can be downloaded on to a memory stick and checked back at the station later. I presume they would put a 'marker' on offending reg plates for the future.

mb1725 wrote: »
    Garda Pulse has access to tax, insurance and nct details. I've a brother-in-law in the force and he told me that ANPR data can be downloaded on to a memory stick and checked back at the station later. I presume they would put a 'marker' on offending reg plates for the future.
    But how accurate is this information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

The system has access to insurer policy databases via the RSA. We have to provide a list of all of our fleet vehicles registrations to the RSA on an ongoing basis as we have an open fleet policy so the regs of insured vehicles are not listed on the policy. If we didn't our vehicles would be flagged as uninsured by ANPR cameras and our drivers would be pulled over - or at least that is what we have been told.

The RSA has nowt to do with insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The RSA has nowt to do with insurance.

Royal Sun Alliance?

milltown wrote: »
    Royal Sun Alliance?
    No, the society for the protection of Gay Byrne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

My mistake, it's not the RSA we register with. Its something called the National Fleet Database - http://www.nfd.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

From what i've heard it just checks for tax, and to tax a car you have to have...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

From what i've heard it just checks for tax, and to tax a car you have to have...?

Not if you are just renewing your tax online....

Who knows if the Gardaí have any access to these databases?

Not if you are just renewing your tax online....
    Yes, it will accept any made up insurance details.

But that's fraud :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭TMC99

griffin100 wrote: »
    My mistake, it's not the RSA we register with. Its something called the National Fleet Database - http://www.nfd.ie/

First time I've seen that - it looks a strange website, no contact details, nothing to say who has access to the data, nothing to indicate if its a government site, insurance brokers site, nothing about data protection etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭cup of tea

TMC99 wrote: »
    First time I've seen that - it looks a strange website, no contact details, nothing to say who has access to the data, nothing to indicate if its a government site, insurance brokers site, nothing about data protection etc.

The various Insurance companies that insure fleets, send these letters to the brokers to forward on to their clients or send them direct, asking them to reg their veh's. I'm not too sure of much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

nfd.ie domain ownership details:

domain: nfd.ie
    descr: Irish Insurance Federation
    descr: Unincorporated Association
    descr: Discretionary Name
    admin-c: AMC830-IEDR
    tech-c: AAM456-IEDR
    renewal: 07-December-2012
    nserver: ns1.blacknight.com
    nserver: ns2.blacknight.com
    source: IEDR

person: Niall Doyle
    nic-hdl: AMC830-IEDR

person: Blacknight.ie Hostmaster
    nic-hdl: AAM456-IEDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Turner wrote: »
    No it doesn't check for nct.

That's bad.
    I would way prefer if they checked for NCT instead of TAX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Indeed, I'm all clear btw...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

No you dont, they no longer look for a policy no. just the name of the insurer.

aujopimur wrote: »

You try tax a car without having the policy number! it doesn't say it on the form, but they ask for it.

They may ask, but they don't check any of the details you supply.

A complete joke but that is Ireland for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

aujopimur wrote: »

You try tax a car without having the policy number! it doesn't say it on the form, but they ask for it.
    They didn't ask me two weeks ago. They just wanted to know who underwrites it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I taxed three vehicles this week, 2 imports & 1 Irish no policy nos. required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

The databases available to ANPR system include:
    - National vehicle & driver database, including vehicle details (e.g. tax, alerts, NCT), vehicle owner details (name, address), and driving licence details (e.g. name, address, points)
    - Irish Insurance Federation Uninsured Vehicle listing (i.e. list of vehicle registrations that are not covered by any insurance company)
    - Garda PULSE database (e.g. convictions, alerts)

Of this I believe the only things actively checked are:
    - tax
    - insurance
    - alerts (e.g. stolen, scrapped, associated with offence etc)

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Irish Insurance Federation Uninsured Vehicle listing
    On what legal basis does this exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

.....or a typographical error...... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement