Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda response times and usefulness

• 12-04-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Have you ever called the gardai when you needed help immeadiately?

How long did it take for them to show up?

Have you ever called the guards after a crime has been commited?

What did they do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

woo-hoo garda bashing time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lost my virginity years ago.

Gardaì have been useless in locating it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

shangri la wrote: »

What did they do?

Once called the guards at 01:00am in the morning after hearing someone prowling around outside my windows. Waited inside with a hammer in my hands. 4:30am they came from a station 3 miles away. Useless shower :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There are over 12000 guards...which one in particular did you ring or are you going to tar them all with your one solitary tiny brush???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What did they do?

On the way home from the pub i was jumped by some dickheads who beat 7 types of **** out of me. 5 minute response time. the next day they went to every single business nearby that had CCTV. they identified them and the guys pleaded guilty just before trial.

Of course i had that power mad tramp that wouldn't stamp my passport last week. But when I needed them, they were there. So I can't complain really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

have you OP?

and how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm Batman so I've never required the Gardai.

I solve my own crimes like. :cool:

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Lost my virginity years ago.

Gardaì have been useless in locating it :mad:

Is it worth finding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Any sign of trouble and never a guard about, wait til its nearly over and loads then turn up.

Driving a few kms over the speed limit and you will see them for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

My house was once burgled, the wife called the police and was told there would be no cars available for a few hours. I called them back and told them I had caught one of the robbers and shot him dead. Five cars arrived within five minutes.

True story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Called the gardaí after my house was burgled. This was in an area where there rarely any burgalaries, but there had been a couple of them at the time. One garda showed up a few hours later (station is five minutes away and they're never busy), talked, didn't really do anything. A garda forensic came around a few days later. Tbh I think they just go to pretend they're doing their job and then forget about it as soon as they're gone. That's why no one ever gets arrested for stuff like that here even though people get caught for things all the time in other countries. The guards just cant be arsed to do anything. They always seem really unprofessional too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Grayson wrote: »
    Is it worth finding?

You never know when you might need again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Was once in an car accident, person rammed the back of my car and drove off.
    Was in so much shock rather then ringing the guards I drove down, was with a friend.
    Explained that I wanted the person who hit the back of me caught, as I wanted to take actions further , also the fact people like that shouldn't be on the road :mad: gave the reg and details of the car..

Anyways 4 hrs later - still no response from the guard I was dealing with, I was still shook up and wanted to know if they had caught the person that crashed into me and why they drove off etc etc...

kept calling - no response. Guard I was dealing with was either out of the office or busy.

Eventually get a call back to say "they found the driver and matter was been dealt with but gave me NO other information what so ever...

To cut the rest of the long story short.....
    NOTHING was ever done about this, guard ignored my calls, and I got the same "the matter is been dealt with" when I did speak with her. Apparently she couldn't give me any more information.

TBH I think the guard was just a lazy git and just was not arsed helping or doing their job...
    Really pissed me off.

Don't get me wrong there are some good decent guards out there that are good at their job... The guard I was dealing with was just a piss take and was not doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

called guards in the middle of the night to report a gang of little gremlins were walking around our estate looking for open cars to steal stuff from (we are a very quiet estate with old people who don't lock their cars out of habit) and they came within two minutes. didn't catch the guys because I turned on the lights in the house when I saw them hanging around our cars.
    and I reported morons running through all lanes of the motorway as a short-cut from where they live to work and they responded immediately and even called me the next day to tell me they'll be patrolling the spot to "educate the people" which I hope means they will come down on them like a ton of bricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What did they do?

Have you?

Naomi00 wrote: »
    . Tbh I think they just go to pretend they're doing their job and then forget about it as soon as they're gone. That's why no one ever gets arrested for stuff like that here even though people get caught for things all the time in other countries. The guards just cant be arsed to do anything. They always seem really unprofessional too.

Couldn't agree with this more !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The guards just cant be arsed to do anything. They always seem really unprofessional too.

That really is total bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

About ten years ago our house was broken into and my father's car was stolen, he awoke during the robbery but the scum absconded with the car before he could get to them. The guards arrived in a matter of minutes while another patrol car took after our car out the Dublin road, I don't know the full details of the chase but they halted my father's car and we had it returned to us at 6am that morning.

A few hours later the scum were brought to the courthouse and my father who is a solicitor was assigned to give free legal counsel by the judge, cue awkward silence and the sergeant having to have a quiet word in the judges ear.:pac:
    So my limited experience with the Gardai has been very satisfactory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

In Mullingar the response time was always 5-10 minutes because they were always around town twiddling their thumbs, playing angry birds and whatnot.

Now I'm in Tallaght and there might as well not be any gaurds, I've heard the response time is 4 hours if its serious and a day or more if its not. And thats why I'm afraid of my gaff being robbed because if someone did they would be in no rush to go anywhere.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    That really is total bull****.

Well where I live anyway. They obviously wouldn't get away with it somewhere busy like Dublin but that's what it's like here (west). They don't take anything seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

The garda turned up at my neighbours house one morning when I was on the way to work . She was still in bed, her door swinging open someone after breaking in , I dont know who called them but I got an awful fright seeing them running up the driveway when I opened the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    My house was once burgled, the wife called the police and was told there would be no cars available for a few hours. I called them back and told them I had caught one of the robbers and shot him dead. Five cars arrived within five minutes.

True story.
    "Someone is breaking into my car and I only have a small knife, please help"
    Would that line speed them up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I worked in a supermarket during college, a guy got stuck with a knife and we called the amberlamps and gards. Amberlamps arrived before the gards despite the station being 100 metres from the shop and the hospital being on the other side of town.

Same shop got robbed at knife point, gards took 20 mins at 7am to get there. Anytime we called em for some scobe robbing cans, they are there in 2 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Havent had to ring them but they keep up a good prescence in my area, driving around, also on cycles. To be fair they cant be everywhere at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Anyone who thinks they're (all) simply lazy are incredibly myopic.

I heard this a while ago on the radio. Listen to it if interested. A letter from a member of the Gardaí is read out in the opening few minutes:

98FM Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Called the gardaí after my house was burgled. This was in an area where there rarely any burgalaries, but there had been a couple of them at the time. One garda showed up a few hours later (station is five minutes away and they're never busy), talked, didn't really do anything. A garda forensic came around a few days later. Tbh I think they just go to pretend they're doing their job and then forget about it as soon as they're gone. That's why no one ever gets arrested for stuff like that here even though people get caught for things all the time in other countries. The guards just cant be arsed to do anything. They always seem really unprofessional too.

What were you expecting? Do you watch CSI by any chance?
    saa wrote: »
    In Mullingar the response time was always 5-10 minutes because they were always around town twiddling their thumbs, playing angry birds and whatnot.

Now I'm in Tallaght and there might as well not be any gaurds, I've heard the response time is 4 hours if its serious and a day or more if its not. And thats why I'm afraid of my gaff being robbed because if someone did they would be in no rush to go anywhere.

Nothing to do in Mullingar? Isn't there a large violent traveller feud in progress there for the last four years?
    “THE WAR of DALTON PARK”

“MORE than 200 feuding Travellers- some armed with knifes and machetes- went on the warpath yesterday. Petrol bombs and bottles were thrown during the bloody clashes between two feuding families which left several people injured.”

http://pavee.ie/mediamonitor/?p=272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Called them a few years ago for a few lads in the back garden, waited an hour(lads had gone by this stage), turns out they had gone to the wrong address, number was right but left out a second part of the main address. They were obviously refused at the first house, didn't question the address and decided 'fcuk it', eventually turned up a few hours later, wasn't the most pressing issue obviously but for all they knew someone could have went to tackle the lads and been stabbed etc. Some(not all) of them are quite frankly...fcuking idiots, if you're in danger in this country you're on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Garda > Dutch police
    By miles.

Needed the Garda 2x in the past.
    Once on a stolen bike which they found back and once when another bike was about to be stolen.
    I chased the ****ers (the scum trying to steal, not the garda) but they got away.
    They were caught later though and brought to court (again, the scum, not the garda)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I worked in a supermarket during college, a guy got stuck with a knife and we called the amberlamps and gards. Amberlamps arrived before the gards despite the station being 100 metres from the shop and the hospital being on the other side of town.

So by your reasoning the guards sit in the station all day waiting for calls and because you were only 100m away then they should have been there within a minute or two? What if i was to suggest that maybe they were out in the patrol car and were dealing with another call 5 miles away and once they finished they made their way to the call in the shop you worked in and so arrived after the ambulance did (as it only had to travel from the other side of town) or is that a totally unreasonable excuse in your head???

I once rang a plumber to come and look at my boiler. He told me that he'd ring me the following day. He didnt ring me until the following week. He was then to come the day after that but never turned up at all. He finally arrived 3 days later. So i think its fair to say that all plumbers are unreliable and liars...and the worst thing is that he lived less than 500m from my house and it should only have taken him maybe 3 minutes to drive to my house from his.

CJC999 wrote: »
    I once rang a plumber to come and look at my boiler. He told me that he'd ring me the following day. He didnt ring me until the following week. He was then to come the day after that but never turned up at all. He finally arrived 3 days later. So i think its fair to say that all plumbers are unreliable and liars...and the worst thing is that he lived less than 500m from my house and it should only have taken him maybe 3 minutes to drive to my house from his.

I Think it's fair to say that robbery & a guy after been struck with a knife requires quicker assistance and is more important then a broken boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

CJC999 wrote: »

Cool story. You could nearly get a book out of that one

just seen this on a different thread ... couldn't resist not posting it here lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaC2TxjdwWw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Someone set fire to my OH's front garden a few weeks ago- it was a rainey miserable day so it was defo arson, the tree went up in minutes. We called the fire brigade and gardaí (as we were afraid it would happen again and wanted it reported). Firemen were fantastic, showed up within 4 mins and had the fire gone in another 4-5mins.

We're still waiting on the police to show up :rolleyes: I don't mind them not coming that night, I'm sure they'd lots of murders to solve etc, but they never bothered to even come down the following week.

Like I said, we just wanted it recorded in case it were to happen again.

MagicSean wrote: »
    What were you expecting? Do you watch CSI by any chance?

No I don't, don't know what a tv show has to do with anything. They didn't even make an attempt to look for anyone even though two of our neighbours houses were robbed just before it. It's not an area where there's a lot of crime so they'd have had plenty of time. In one of the houses the robber got cut on the window and there was blood around the place. They didn't even think of linking the robberies. Don't know about the kind of guards are where you live but it's a different story over here, we get the total morons. One of my friends did work experience in the station and they just played pranks on each other and went for drive in the middle of nowhere to waste the time.

It should be made a lot more difficult to be a guard, the stupid ones wouldn't get in and the good ones wouldn't be given a bad reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I didn't ever have to ring them or even commit an offence as they were so good they would just pick me up on the town and throw me into a cell till the morning, Hows that for efficient service. :o:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Call the Gardai once after a stone broke my windshield and I could see the gang of kids doing it.

They told they dont go into that estate at night or some such bollocks and they'd call out to my house to make a report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

charlemont wrote: »
    I didn't ever have to ring them or even commit an offence as they were so good they would just pick me up on the town and throw me into a cell till the morning, Hows that for efficient service. :o:pac:

It pays to be well known then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

MagicSean wrote: »
    Nothing to do in Mullingar? Isn't there a large violent traveller feud in progress there for the last four years?

But I never said that

They have always had gaurds to respond to minor incidents, I lived there for ten years I have a pretty good idea of what they're actually dealing with and their presence on the streets. I was saying there were always gaurds about town patrolling, always gaurds who weren't doing much else when you went into the station to get a form, always responded to house calls quickly compared to Tallaght where you are waiting half an hour to get a form and get it signed because there is a whole heap of people in the station, its always jammers, I've been there four times and they are so understaffed considering what is going on in Cushlawn/Killinarden/Jobstown is nothing compared to the estates in Mullingar and the traveler feuds, compared to the size of Mullingar and the crime is nothing compared to what the tallaght station is dealing with and they just don't have the staff, there should be gaurds "doing nothing" so they can actually help you when something does happen as opposed to waiting four hours for a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'm Batman so I've never required the Gardai.

I solve my own crimes like. :cool:

Totally, like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Grayson wrote: »
    On the way home from the pub i was jumped by some dickheads who beat 7 types of **** out of me. 5 minute response time. the next day they went to every single business nearby that had CCTV. they identified them and the guys pleaded guilty just before trial.

Of course i had that power mad tramp that wouldn't stamp my passport last week. But when I needed them, they were there. So I can't complain really.

Did you ask them where they were when you were getting the sh1t kicked out of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Going by the quarrels I have had with my girlfriend in the past, they are very good to arrive on time. Less than 10 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Once called the guards and they rang me back twenty minutes later asking if I still needed someone to come out :o
    On the other hand got assaulted in a nightclub and the particular guard was very helpful and trial is soon.. It's just like any other job really, I'm sure we've all had useless doctors, and some good ones, same goes for solicitors and teachers and anything else you can think of!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Thanks folks, have made up my mind about the neighbours plasma telly.

will let ye know when i get it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Country has gone to **** since The_Citizen left boards

Where is he anyway, especially now with so much crime

Was very active on boards at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

About ten years ago our house was broken into and my father's car was stolen, he awoke during the robbery but the scum absconded with the car before he could get to them. The guards arrived in a matter of minutes while another patrol car took after our car out the Dublin road, I don't know the full details of the chase but they halted my father's car and we had it returned to us at 6am that morning.

A few hours later the scum were brought to the courthouse and my father who is a solicitor was assigned to give free legal counsel by the judge, cue awkward silence and the sergeant having to have a quiet word in the judges ear.:pac:
    So my limited experience with the Gardai has been very satisfactory.

Well it would be given the service was to a middle class family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well it would be given the service was to a middle class family.
    should i tell them im visiting from foxrock next time i need help?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Two Storries

First:
    My father once had a 7 seeter Jeep, which he had parked infront of his house...A stolen Ford Fiesta with 6 occupants crashed head on into the jeep, drove it 5 feet before it stopped against an light post...The 6 occupants were caught by neighbours and pinned to a wall...Guards where called and where adv that the occupants had been subdued and urgent help was needed as they where threatening ppl's lives...1 squad car arrived an hour and 20mins later...I can throw a stone from their bac garden and hit the station(literally)...

Second:
    Neighbours house had 2 shotgun rounds put through the front sitting room window and second floor bedroom window(1 child sleeping)...Suspect took flight(as we say in Limerick)...Guards where called and armed responce where at the house within 5minutes...2 explain the story gunman had the wrong address, was suppose to give a house behind my parents a warning...

My issues with this, first story my neighbours had the occupants of the car subdued and their lives were in danger as the occupants where threatening lives...80minute repond time...Second story gunman had fled the scene, no immediate danger and the guards had arried in 5minutes...

Yes I understand that the their was a weapon involved in the second story but should all threats on life be dealt with in the same reponce time...Alot worse could have happend in 80minutes when their a 6 thieves involved then could happen in 5minutes when a guman hsa fleed the schene...

In my oppinion

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Did you ask them where they were when you were getting the sh1t kicked out of you?

It was after the pubs close. the cops there usually do laps of the place. Plus it took about three minutes for the whole thing to happen. I was whacked on the back of the head with a Heineken bottle (my mate, the sarky ba$tard swore he could see the impression of a star on the back of my head the next morning). I fell to the ground and then the kicking started. Except for one of them that was filming it.

All in all, it took a few minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

inforfun wrote: »
    I chased the ****ers (the scum trying to steal, not the garda) but they got away.
    They were caught later though and brought to court (again, the scum, not the garda)

media_preview.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fassets.diylol.com%2Fhfs%2F35a%2F335%2F272%2Fresized%2Fcreepy-willy-wonka-meme-generator-oh-really-now-tell-me-more-38d49d.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement