Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rotavator problems

Options
  • 12-04-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

hi, i have an old briggs and stratton rotavator which is not running properly. its seems to cough and splutter then cuts out after 5-10 mins. as if there is a petrol shortage but the fuel is still flowing fine. any ideas please

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

darrcow wrote: »
    hi, i have an old briggs and stratton rotavator which is not running properly. its seems to cough and splutter then cuts out after 5-10 mins. as if there is a petrol shortage but the fuel is still flowing fine. any ideas please

thanks

Sounds like dirt in the carburettor. If you're comfortable with engines you could clean it yourself, if not it's best left to a mechanic.
    I would start though, by replacing the spark plug and air filter and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

thanks we have changed the plug and air filter will give the garb ago tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 norris

just asking but could the petrol have gne off. If it is an old engine and not used in a while it could be this.I work in a small engine repair shop and you would be surprized how many engines this time of year are faulty down to stale petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

norris wrote: »
    just asking but could the petrol have gne off. If it is an old engine and not used in a while it could be this.I work in a small engine repair shop and you would be surprized how many engines this time of year are faulty down to stale petrol
    the engine was emptied last year and new petrol put in yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

darrcow wrote: »
    thanks we have changed the plug and air filter will give the garb ago tomorrow

If you're going the DIY route it's also worth checking the action of the float valve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement