Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coconut/Jam buns

Options
  • 12-04-2012 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am looking for a recipe for those buns that you can put jam and grated coconut on top of. I remember back in the 80s/90s a lot of people made them as part of the school home economics baking classes and they were really easy to make.
    Does anyone remember and can anyone suggest a recipe?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

Haystacks!
    I just make regular fairy buns, dip them in raspberry jam, and then in coconut! You can add coconut to the bun mixture too and it's yum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get coconut flour in some asian food shops too. The one in blackrock market in dublin have it after I asked them to get it in.

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get coconut flour in some asian food shops too. The one in blackrock market in dublin have it after I asked them to get it in.

I'm beginning to think you work for that place :pac:

Coconut floor sounds yum. Must investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm beginning to think you work for that place :pac:
    :p I wish I did! It is very high in fat so I think you can omit oil/butter from recipies. If you did a full replacement of normal flour it would be very high in calories. I use it in pancakes mixed with oats, egg & milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

Try this Fairycake recipe http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=queen-cakes-fairy-cakes-or-buns

Then warm some jam in a saucepan. Put the jam on a plate. Put some dessicated coconut on a plate.
    Dip each bun in the jam, then dip the bun in the coconut and hey presto, jam coconut buns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Peabrain McSpud

My sister used to make these all the time and the recipe is still in her old home economics book. I love them recipe as follows:

200g cream flour
    pinch of salt
    1tsp baking powder
    75g margarine
    75g Caster sugar
    50g coconut
    1 egg
    2-3 tablespoons of milk

*Sieve flour, salt and baking powder together, rub in the margarine and then stir in the sugar and coconut and mix well.
    *beat egg in a bowl with milk and pour into centre of dry ingredients. mix to a fairly stiff dough (add more milk if needed)
    *spoon mixture onto greased baking tray makes 8-10. bake in preheated oven @200 degrees for 20 mins
    *melt some jam in a bowl and pour extra coconut into another bowl when buns come out dip in each and enjoy!

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mewa

or maybe jam lamingtons?

Advertisement