Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am badly stuck.

• 12-04-2012 2:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hello all. OK So I was firs trying to aim for Pharmacy course. Now that I think of it I am not really interested in it. I love being a doctor though it has been my dream since I was a kid. Anyways not only that but to do pharmacy you also need chemistry which I suck at BIG TIME! I want to know to become a doctor do you still need chemistry? Which university's or colleges offer doctor degree with out the requirement of Chemistry for Leaving Cert.

Thank you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Sorry but if you want to go into those fields you're gonna need some chemistry, that's just how it is! I know in UCD you can come into omnibus science without leaving cert chemistry but they get you to do introductory chemistry then

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

gypsy_rose wrote: »
    Sorry but if you want to go into those fields you're gonna need some chemistry, that's just how it is! I know in UCD you can come into omnibus science without leaving cert chemistry but they get you to do introductory chemistry then

I was just on the UCD website and here's what it gave me.

CAO Code: DN400
    Minimum CAO & HPAT Combined Score 2011: 735
    Average Places: 90
    Length of Course: 5/6* Years
    Leaving Certificate: Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, a third language, Mathematics and one laboratory science subject of which two of the six must be minimum HC3.
    Minimum 480 CAO points or equivalent achieved in the same examination sitting which met programme entry requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Well technically you only need a HC3 in maths to do engineering, but we all know you would die in engineering if thats all you had.

You will find these courses hard unless you get your head around chemistry. Maybe you don't need to be brilliant at it but you do need to have a grasp on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

fontdor wrote: »
    I was just on the UCD website and here's what it gave me.

CAO Code: DN400
    Minimum CAO & HPAT Combined Score 2011: 735
    Average Places: 90
    Length of Course: 5/6* Years
    Leaving Certificate: Passes in six subjects including English, Irish, a third language, Mathematics and one laboratory science subject of which two of the six must be minimum HC3.
    Minimum 480 CAO points or equivalent achieved in the same examination sitting which met programme entry requirements.

I know that for TCD you need two science subjects, one at HB3 and one at HC3 and you either need Physics or Maths (HD3/OC3).

Surprised that you only need one science for UCD, I want to do medicine too and I wish now I'd done all 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Regardless of the entry requirements, both Pharmacy and Medicine involves a lot of chemistry. There's no escaping from chemistry in any of the health sciences, it's fundamental.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

People make the same mistake over and over again about whether or not you need chemistry to get into medicine. You don't - the 6 year courses in NUIG, UCD and RCSI, along with the 5 year course in Trinity, do not need Chemistry for entry.

Chemistry makes up a component of the course, so you'll need to have some sort of grasp of it. What's on the LC chemistry course rarely comes up again throughout the medicine course, but you'll have to accept that you can't avoid chemistry related modules.

Entry requirements are on page 2 of this document (when the document opens, type medentry into the space where the stars are in the URL).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Are you in fifth or sixth year? If you're in sixth and haven't done the hpat you're too late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

finality wrote: »
    Are you in fifth or sixth year? If you're in sixth and haven't done the hpat you're too late.

I am in 5th year

Advertisement