Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband advice, Ravensdale, Co Louth

• 12-04-2012 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, we're moving to Ireland next week. We have a house in Ravensdale. We need broadband internet, but it doesn't need to be lightening fast, just reliable.

As long as the line is at least 2Mb/s and reliable, it will be fine for us. We were planning to have a phone and ADSL from Eircom, but Eircom told us yesterday that there might not be a port available on the exchange.

If there is no port available on the exchange, what would our options be for broadband?

Everyone seems to slate Imagine's WiMax, even though they say we have coverage. I doubt that there's fibre up there (we're very rural).

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

5flags wrote: »
    Hi, we're moving to Ireland next week. We have a house in Ravensdale. We need broadband internet, but it doesn't need to be lightening fast, just reliable.

As long as the line is at least 2Mb/s and reliable, it will be fine for us. We were planning to have a phone and ADSL from Eircom, but Eircom told us yesterday that there might not be a port available on the exchange.

If there is no port available on the exchange, what would our options be for broadband?

Everyone seems to slate Imagine's WiMax, even though they say we have coverage. I doubt that there's fibre up there (we're very rural).

Net1 http://www.net1.ie
    Try them and see if they cover your area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

There is a net1 base station in ravensdale so you should be able to get at least 6MB to 10MB from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think there's a free phone line installation offer with eircom at the moment so I recommend making an order for a phone + broadband bundle making specifically clear that the line will be used for broadband. The ravensdale exchange area is somewhat small so unless you're beyond Faughart or beside Jonesboro then 2 mbps should be manageable. If there's no port capacity after all then you can tell the linesman to stop what he's doing and cancel the installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 OrmeSat

5flags wrote: »

Hi 5flags, if Eircom can't sort you out it seems you only have two options;
    3G that's broadband with a mobile phone network, the other is satellite broadband. With satellite broadband your speed is guaranteed to be at least 6Mbps, the other bonus for you is you will not need a landline as all your calls can be made with VOIP, you can use Skype for all your calls you just need to leave your computer on to receive incoming calls. Let me know if I can be of any more help to you, regards kevin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

OrmeSat wrote: »
    Hi 5flags, if Eircom can't sort you out it seems you only have two options;
    3G that's broadband with a mobile phone network, the other is satellite broadband. With satellite broadband your speed is guaranteed to be at least 6Mbps, the other bonus for you is you will not need a landline as all your calls can be made with VOIP, you can use Skype for all your calls you just need to leave your computer on to receive incoming calls. Let me know if I can be of any more help to you, regards kevin.

Net1 is a far better option than either of the two options you've outlined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 pixiel

Does anyone know when Eircom Next Generation Broadband will be rolled out in Ravensdale?

Thanks

Advertisement