Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian work holiday visa

Options
  • 12-04-2012 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I visited Canada recently and really want to go for a year or 2.
    I have a degree in software development and 3 years work experience.

Will it be difficult to get a job over there?
    I want to go in March next year possibly, when can I apply for this? and if I get this visa, will it be valid from March to March or just until December next year?

Also,
    a couple of friends are going but don't have any 3rd levels qualifications. Will they find work easily enough?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I visited Canada recently and really want to go for a year or 2.
    I have a degree in software development and 3 years work experience.

Will it be difficult to get a job over there?
    I want to go in March next year possibly, when can I apply for this? and if I get this visa, will it be valid from March to March or just until December next year?

Also,
    a couple of friends are going but don't have any 3rd levels qualifications. Will they find work easily enough?

Thanks for any help!

Depends really on where you go, I'm in Toronto and I've seen a lot of IT jobs advertised. With your qualifications and experience you will have a great chance of finding a good job. My advice is to take what you can when you get and then keep looking and trade up until you get the position and company you want.

You can start applying for next year at the end of December, keep an eye on the IEC website.

Once your visa is approved you have a whole year to activate it, so you can fly out whenever you want, show your letter at the border when you enter and they'll issue it there.

Depends on what type of work your friends are looking for, they should be ok. If they don't mind what type of job they end up doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Depends really on where you go, I'm in Toronto and I've seen a lot of IT jobs advertised. With your qualifications and experience you will have a great chance of finding a good job. My advice is to take what you can when you get and then keep looking and trade up until you get the position and company you want.

You can start applying for next year at the end of December, keep an eye on the IEC website.

Once your visa is approved you have a whole year to activate it, so you can fly out whenever you want, show your letter at the border when you enter and they'll issue it there.

Depends on what type of work your friends are looking for, they should be ok. If they don't mind what type of job they end up doing.

Cool thanks for the info! Yeah it's Toronto we're planning on going to. That's where I was on holidays and I loved it. 25C for the week around paddys day it was :), Im sure it gets a lot colder during the winter though!

Yeah I'd say they would work in a shop or bar or whatever. Do know what areas are good to live? We would like to keep close enough to downtown if we could. I stayed in the financial district while on holidays and I loved how safe it was and how friendly everyone was so if you have any suggestions as to where to stay, they'd be welcome! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I understand that it takes a good bit of time to get a job when going to Canada and it isn't like the stories you hear in Australia where people seem to walk into jobs.

But I haven't heard anything about how it is for people in the IT/Soft Dev sector does anyone know what it is like over there for IT Professionals.

I was also wondering do the year long visas not start when you enter the country?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

But I haven't heard anything about how it is for people in the IT/Soft Dev sector does anyone know what it is like over there for IT Professionals.

I was also wondering do the year long visas not start when you enter the country?

Thanks

Im in I.T.
    Depending on skill set, there are plenty of jobs around. Im in ontario, and although ive not been looking, i still get updates from monster etc about jobs in Toronto. However, it will take time, and its all about networking. You can apply for 30 jobs and get nowhere but get an interview through someone already working in a place who dropped in your cv (as what happened to me).
    Then theres interviews, second interviews, and if you're offered a job, background security checks etc. Giving myself as an example, there were 15 weeks between me arriving in Canada and me starting work.

I'd recommend coming here on a visitor visa, scope out the jobs scene, network (get on linkedin if youre not already using it), start applying, and if a job offer comes along, cross the border and activate your IEC. Your year will then start from that date.

I.T. contractors...thats a different story altogether,and not one im too familiar with.

PM me with any more questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DiaDhuit29

I was wondering what is the age limit for a Canadian Visa as I'm 30 now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

35 for an IEC holiday visa

Advertisement